What Are You Eating Right Now?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I made alfredo once. Maybe I fucked it up, but I hated it.

I tried to make it for my wife and it was not the same. She thinks I may have burnt the cheese because cheese sauces are so temperamental and she can wisk in her sleep at this point after a couple of decades of bakery/confectionary work...so maybe I am just spoiled. It is literally only her alfredo I will eat.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I tried to make it for my wife and it was not the same. She thinks I may have burnt the cheese because cheese sauces are so temperamental and she can wisk in her sleep at this point after a couple of decades of bakery/confectionary work...so maybe I am just spoiled. It is literally only her alfredo I will eat.

All I ever did was mess up cheese sauces, consistently screwing up bechamels. Then I found out about citric acid, me and HHM have been talking about this stuff non stop. This dork will tell you all about it.

Not just great nachos, great for mac and cheese or anything else cheese related, impossible to screw up, sour salt (citric acid) beer and cheese. If you want your M&C to taste like sharp cheddar and pepper jack, that is all you will taste. The hell with complicated recipes, and for sure the hell with Velveeta.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
All I ever did was mess up cheese sauces, consistently screwing up bechamels. Then I found out about citric acid, me and HHM have been talking about this stuff non stop. This dork will tell you all about it.

Not just great nachos, great for mac and cheese or anything else cheese related, impossible to screw up, sour salt (citric acid) beer and cheese. If you want your M&C to taste like sharp cheddar and pepper jack, that is all you will taste. The hell with complicated recipes, and for sure the hell with Velveeta.
I made super aged gouda into "kraft singles" for cheeseburgers. incredible.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not just great nachos, great for mac and cheese or anything else cheese related, impossible to screw up, sour salt (citric acid) beer and cheese. If you want your M&C to taste like sharp cheddar and pepper jack, that is all you will taste.

Will have to give it a shot. If I can pull off alfredo sauce for her...she will just melt.

Like the first time I made her a birthday cake. I was sore for a week!

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

I'll get some sodium citrate.
But the guy says he likes to pour it over some nachos for some "bad ass nacho" and then shows us a shot of some pretty lame ass nachos with nothing on them but cheese. I reserve judgment until I make my own "bad ass nachos"

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not sure I would do this for alfredo because it's not really a cheese sauce but a cream sauce with cheese.

Try this one, super easy:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/lighter-fettuccine-alfredo-recipe.html

Parm or Romano or any other super dry cheese will not work with citric acid, you can however add those dry cheeses to a sauce you have already made with a different cheese.

Here is a comment from the recipe below.
"Rich and creamy! I have found that Parmesan cheese doesn't melt well, and often substitute Gruyere cheese."

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/22831/alfredo-sauce/

I have never tried this but if you make a Gruyere sauce add the parm and put that in the alfredo, who knows?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Chicken cordon bleu tonight.

Pounded some chicken breasts thin. Lightly brushed dijon on the inside part of the breasts. Wrapped some thick cut swiss in a few pieces of thin cut ham and stuffed inside, to prevent the cheese from melting out while cooking. Folded over and put some toothpicks in to hold it all together.

Hit the breasts with an egg wash and then rolled in a seasoned panko mixture - paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper.

Got some butter and olive oil going over medium high heat (olive oil keeps the butter from burning) and cooked the chicken breasts until golden brown on each side. Pulled the chicken out, and added about 1/2 c of white wine, and a few tsp of chicken bouillon granules to the liquid and deglazed.

Put the chicken back in the pan and dumped another 1/4 c of white wine on top. Dropped heat to low, covered, cooked for about 10 mins, flipped the chicken, and then another 10 mins covered on low.

Took the chicken out of the pan and slowly whisked in about a cup of heavy cream and a tbsp of cornstarch into the liquids to make a pan sauce. Whisked continually on low heat until thickened, and then topped the chicken breasts with it.

Served with wild brown rice and asparagus (also used some of the sauce on this).

Not terrible. No pics because it got devoured.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chicken salad with grapes from the local King Soopers deli. Of course, doused with Cholua hot sauce.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
wtf dweebs, its 9:19 Central Standard Time
I don't eat cereal for breakfast (I snack on it throughout the day) and I've never been the type to only eat eggs for breakfast. Growing up my mom always said breakfast was whatever you can find in the fridge or make yourself. So I've always eaten leftover dinner for breakfast unless I was really in an omelette mood.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don't eat cereal for breakfast (I snack on it throughout the day) and I've never been the type to only eat eggs for breakfast. Growing up my mom always said breakfast was whatever you can find in the fridge or make yourself. So I've always eaten leftover dinner for breakfast unless I was really in an omelette mood.
Lmao, you do you boo. I have ate leftovers before for breakfast (usually I'm hungover AF and just need food) but I can't say I do it everyday. I normally skip breakfast during the week and on Saturday/Sunday I'll eat eggs/hashbrowns/bacon but was feeling lazy today.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Science Now Says Pizza Is a Healthier Breakfast Option Than Cereal
https://www.lamag.com/digestblog/sc...-breakfast-option-than-cereal-so-thats-a-win/

Fuck cereal.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I spent most of the afternoon and into the evening making lasagna with my 11 year old daughter. Cooking together has kind have turned into our thing. Granted, it wasn't all active cooking time (e.g. after we put the sauce together it spent a solid 3 hrs simmering).

Sauce was made from fresh crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, onion, garlic, fennel, brown sugar, fresh basil and parsley, italalian seasoning, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, italian sausage and ground beef.

Did not boil the lasagna noodles. Let them sit in hot water for about 30 mins, changing the water out about halfway through. This gave the lasagna a nice body as the noodles finished cooking in the oven. I'd like to try my hand and making the pasta from scratch on another day.

Layered sauce, noodles, homemade bechamel, mozzarella sliced of a block, more meat sauce, freshly grated parmesan, noodles, bechamel, sauce, mozzarella, and finally more parm.

Cooked in the oven covered with foil for 25 mins at 375, removed foil and cooked for another 25. Let the whole thing rest for about 15-20 before diving in.

Overall...money. And well worth the ~6 hrs I put into it (especially considering quality time with the kiddo).

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love a well made lasagna, I'm keeping it simple so for me right now it's a handful of pistachios.

Have some boneless skinless chicken breasts thawing for tomorrow, not sure yet how to prepare them.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
I spent most of the afternoon and into the evening making lasagna with my 11 year old daughter. Cooking together has kind have turned into our thing. Granted, it wasn't all active cooking time (e.g. after we put the sauce together it spent a solid 3 hrs simmering).

Sauce was made from fresh crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, onion, garlic, fennel, brown sugar, fresh basil and parsley, italalian seasoning, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, italian sausage and ground beef.

Did not boil the lasagna noodles. Let them sit in hot water for about 30 mins, changing the water out about halfway through. This gave the lasagna a nice body as the noodles finished cooking in the oven. I'd like to try my hand and making the pasta from scratch on another day.

Layered sauce, noodles, homemade bechamel, mozzarella sliced of a block, more meat sauce, freshly grated parmesan, noodles, bechamel, sauce, mozzarella, and finally more parm.

Cooked in the oven covered with foil for 25 mins at 375, removed foil and cooked for another 25. Let the whole thing rest for about 15-20 before diving in.

Overall...money. And well worth the ~6 hrs I put into it (especially considering quality time with the kiddo).
That's cool that cooking is an activity you do with your daughter. I had no interest in cooking when I was your daughter's age so I never learned anything about it. Now that I do have an interest I can't do shit lol.