What do you all think of Alshon Jeffery?

Soundwave_Superior

Liked Posts:
He's coming to visit with Halas Hall this week. Sorry if I missed a prior discussion about him, I'm a newbie here.

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Bears will host former South Carolina wideout Alshon Jeffery on an official visit to Halas Hall this week, according to a league source.

Jeffery was considered one of the top receivers in the nation following the 2010 season when he led the Gamecocks with 88 receptions for 1,517 yards and nine touchdowns, which garnered the 6-foot-3 wideout All-American honors.

Source: Bears to host S. Carolina's Jeffery - Chicago Bears Blog - ESPN Chicago

He's got some positives and negatives, like all prospects. Positives are he dominates jump balls and is huge with great hands. Can high-point the ball and get it like (dare I say) Larry Fitzgerald. Similar deep threat as Fitzgerald in that he's not a burner, but he can just jump up and get it over whoever's trying to cover him.

Negatives are that he played last year at around 230 lbs, didn't have the greatest work ethic in school, and he turned some people off at the combine with a somewhat "entitled" attitude.

The Bears have been really talking up DE's and CB's lately in the first round. But it's possible that could all be a smokescreen so they can go after a WR. Emery has put Halas Hall on lockdown with letting information out since he got there...we really don't know what he plans to do.

His play on the field is dominating. But he has some minor character concerns (as most really good WR's do). They brought in Marshall, but he's one strike away from being suspended, and if he leaves, we really only have Bennett. We need more WR's and a contingency plan if he gets suspended.

Personally I think having Jeffery and Marshall on the field would be scary as hell for defenses and totally intimidating. And Cutler would love having two monsters like these guys. It would be like having Kevin Nash and Razor Ramon out there at WR.

What are your guys thoughts?

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
Wasting a high pick on a WR would be a mistake when the receiving corp is deep as hell. There are many other sleeper WR's with good tape that could contribute just as well; such as Damarlo Belcher, who has Marshall-like measurements (6'5" 215-220lbs.) and good skills, but was kicked from his team for getting caught with a doobie (Marshall AND him would command the freakin' field). Ultimately, we can afford to miss on Floyd and every other hyped up WR, in order to strengthen what our team really needs. Receivers might catch touchdowns, but great DE's/DT's stop QB's from giving receivers the chance.

Plus, with more and more shit happening with Forte, you can likely expect we're going to have some extra picks to draft with.

Now, as for Jeffery, I honestly like him, but he's not a must-have to get in the draft.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Bears take a WR in the first round, it should be Floyd. Any other WR should be taken in round 2.

Soundwave_Superior

Liked Posts:
Yeah I think 19 would be too high a pick for him. However I don't think he'll make it to our 2nd round pick. I think there will be a run of the good WR's in the late 1st/early 2nd. I'd like to get in on that somehow.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not first round material, not with the work ethic he displayed in college. 2nd round for his talent and size works.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
second to third round i wouldnt mind... we'll see. some drafts have him bein picked by the Jets, & he'd sure as hell fit in their locker room.

Bongi

Liked Posts:
This is who I wanted the Bears to take before we got Brandon Marshall. Has a lot of potential, like somebody said earlier he reminds me a lot of Larry Fitzgerald, doesn't possess a lot of speed but catches the ball when he's not open. If he somehow falls to us in the second round idk how we could possibly pass him up.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Jeffrey would be a nice grab in the second round and a fantastic value at #50, but our first round selection needs to improve us either on the offensive or defensive line. Both should provide plenty of options when we have our selection at #19.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he is tall and mysterious. I imagine he smells like lavender.

old-spice-guy.jpg

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Certain things on tape bother me about Jeffery. He still seems a bit raw.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
If the Bears take a WR in the first round, it should be Floyd. Any other WR should be taken in round 2.

I wouldn't take a WR until the 3rd or 4th very deep draft at WR will be great value late imo.