Why Peyton Manning is the GOAT

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I said:
Pardon me for not saying "also played a vital role in Manning's success. "

I other words Garcon and Collie were among the wr's who played
a vital role in Manning's success.

I explained all this in post #83

I still am missing the point. Adding the word "also" doesn't change anything. I wasn't upset at your poor grammar, I was disagreeing with your statement that Austin Collie played a "vital" role in Manning's success. He did NOT play a "vital" role in Manning's success. Peyton Manning threw for 72000 yards and 540 TDs...Collie accounted for less than 3% of that total, and I would argue that any number of other WRs could have stepped in and equaled Collie's production.

Sigh.....what it implies is that his "elite effort" was relative to the
3 slug Qb's he had. Did u read where I said any other wr might've
had maybe 4-500yds. My problem stems from earlier posts where u seem to marginalize Wayne as a wr. You said he was a
"above-wr". Overall, IMO, he helped Manning, as much as, Manning helped him.

Nope. Wrong again. I said Wayne was an above average WR without Manning, but he was an elite WR with him. Judging from production and accolades, this is pretty much a factual statement on my part.

Rory
Is this the real goal to all this? Lets bring the other poster down.

The real goal is to get you to format your posts so that they are readable.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I still am missing the point. Adding the word "also" doesn't change anything. I wasn't upset at your poor grammar, I was disagreeing with your statement that Austin Collie played a "vital" role in Manning's success. He did NOT play a "vital" role in Manning's success. Peyton Manning threw for 72000 yards and 540 TDs...Collie accounted for less than 3% of that total, and I would argue that any number of other WRs could have stepped in and equaled Collie's production.

Nope. Wrong again. I said Wayne was an above average WR without Manning, but he was an elite WR with him. Judging from production and accolades, this is pretty much a factual statement on my part.

The real goal is to get you to format your posts so that they are readable.

On Austin Collie.....u originally brought up he and Garcon "exploded" when Gonzalez went down...that's where all this comes from. So rather than me post the exact quotes, u can go back and read what was exactly what was said and how it got us to point.
No it wasn't "bad grammar", the statement spoke to your "explosion" post. So I modified my response to exact a better understanding.

On Wayne, my point was even with 3 slug Qb's the guy almost reached 1000 yds. So IMO, that's an elite wr's at work even with
low level QB's.

In other words, ( I'm being hypothetical here).... it's like me giving u a good race car and crew and ya win the Indy500 3 str8 yrs. in a row. Then in the 4th yr. I give ya a Ford Pito and some how u finish 3rd place....that to me, must mean u are an "elite driver" with elite driving skills.

YES....I get it Wayne would have exceeding those #'s with a better Qb i.e. Manning.

In relation to this thread my thoughts on Manning's career can
be found in post#84

Did u wanna do the thumbs down on this to?

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

kVhenXk.gif

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
On Austin Collie.....u originally brought up he and Garcon "exploded" when Gonzalez went down...that's where all this comes from. So rather than me post the exact quotes, u can go back and read what was exactly what was said and how it got us to point.
No it wasn't "bad grammar", the statement spoke to your "explosion" post. So I modified my response to exact a better understanding.

You said, verbatim, Austin Collie was vital to Peyton Manning's success. This is what I was talking about in the post you quoted and responded to. But I don't understand your response...it doesn't address ANYTHING about what you said.

Colts offense with the awesome Anthony Gonzalez in 2008 was 13th in the NFL and the Colts went 12-4. With Gonzalez on IR in 2009 and Garcon and Collie seeing the field, the Colts rose to 7th in offense and went 14-2 with a Super Bowl berth. The Colts offense was much more dangerous with Gonzalez off the field, hence my use of "exploded". Not sure what exactly you were "responding" to, nor why you felt the need to "respond" in the first place.

So I guess you are still standing by your statement of Austin Collie being vital to Peyton Manning's success?

In other words, ( I'm being hypothetical here).... it's like me giving u a good race car and crew and ya win the Indy500 3 str8 yrs. in a row. Then in the 4th yr. I give ya a Ford Pito and some how u finish 3rd place....that to me, must mean u are an "elite driver" with elite driving skills.

But Wayne's 2011 season isn't analogous to a 3rd place finish. He wasn't one of the 6 WRs to earn All Pro status. He wasn't one of the 10 WRs to make the pro bowl. He finished 24th in receiving yards, 33rd in receiving yards per game. 33 cars make the Indy 500, so it would be like Wayne went from winning Indy 500s to...qualifying. Great stuff.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
You said, verbatim, Austin Collie was vital to Peyton Manning's success. This is what I was talking about in the post you quoted and responded to. But I don't understand your response...it doesn't address ANYTHING about what you said.

Colts offense with the awesome Anthony Gonzalez in 2008 was 13th in the NFL and the Colts went 12-4. With Gonzalez on IR in 2009 and Garcon and Collie seeing the field, the Colts rose to 7th in offense and went 14-2 with a Super Bowl berth. The Colts offense was much more dangerous with Gonzalez off the field, hence my use of "exploded". Not sure what exactly you were "responding" to, nor why you felt the need to "respond" in the first place.

So I guess you are still standing by your statement of Austin Collie being vital to Peyton Manning's success?

But Wayne's 2011 season isn't analogous to a 3rd place finish. He wasn't one of the 6 WRs to earn All Pro status. He wasn't one of the 10 WRs to make the pro bowl. He finished 24th in receiving yards, 33rd in receiving yards per game. 33 cars make the Indy 500, so it would be like Wayne went from winning Indy 500s to...qualifying. Great stuff.

On Collie, I came back and modified my stance on him. I went from saying "a vital role" ( which was to strong a statement)
.....to saying "he also played a vital role". Meaning he was just one of the 'cogs of the proverbial wheel' Big difference in statements.
I down-graded him.

On Wayne, he did a yeoman's job just getting to 960 yards. with those slug Qb's. So of course he wasn't gonna win any awards. We get that.