Why the 2013 Cubs will be better than the 2012 Cubs

Chitownboss12

Liked Posts:
2012 was a down year for the Cubs, and unfortunately 2013 does not look much different. Instead of looking at the negatives though, I examined the positives and came to the conclusion that this year’s Cubs will finish with a better record than last year’s team. While their are multiple reasons for this, the young talent as well as the Epstein regime being in full force are two that really stand out. Even though Theo may not be able to put the fans out of their misery this season, their is potential hope for 2014 and beyond.

Anthony Rizzo and Starlin Castro were not a legitimate duo last season until July, but this season they will be in the same lineup on Opening Day. The dynamic duo of these two should give the Cubs plenty of opportunities to drive in runners and Rizzo should also help the Cubs with the home run ball. The lineup is much more solid this season, but even the weak spots seem brighter than last year. Nate Schierholtz has a nice glove in right fielder and will deliver a solid OPS. He will be an upgrade over the overpaid Marlon Byrd from last season. It also makes Cubs fans secure that he is just a placeholder for Brett Jackson. The 2013 version of Ian Stewart will also be better, as his body is fully healed from the beatings he has taken over his career. Darwin Barney is solidfying himself as the Cubs second baseman of the future, but that could change anytime. Welington Castillo is entering his first season as the full time starter, and is a more powerful and skinnier version Geovany Soto. David DeJesus is as reliable a leadoff hitter as it gets. And of course, Alfonso Soriano is still Alfonso Soriano.

Another reason I find it very likely that the 2013 Cubs will show improvement is the fact that Theo Epstein’s master plan is further along. He is ensuring that the Cubs have endless starting pitching depth, which is security for injuries. He is continuing to make low risk signings and trades as he has replaced flameouts such as Rodrigo Lopez and Casey Coleman with proven starters Travis Wood and Scott Feldman as the postential insurance guys in the rotation. He is spending his money wisely, yet it wouldn’t surprise me if Theo makes a big splash within the next couple offseasons. Him and Jed Hoyer seem to have the team on track and the Cubs may have the most competent front office in the entire league.

Their are many aspects to a baseball team, and very few of them have declined for the Cubs over the offseason. Unless a major injury crisis breaks out, the team is showing all signs that they will improve, despite the looks of a below .500 team. For those Cubs fans expecting perfection, just think that we can be this season’s Orioles.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Paul Maholm. Theo :fap: Sky is falling...

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
Yes, 2013 should be better than 2012.

The Cubs have Rizzo for the full season, Theo has strengthened the bullpen and has given the team solid starting pitching depth.

The Cubs also have a solid five man outfield stacked with excellent platooning options which should give them solid performances if the platoons are done properly.

Also, it is very hard to lose 100 games two seasons in a row.... despite the Astros proving you can lose 100 games multiple seasons in a row, and showing no sign of ending that streak any time soon.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anno hits this nail pretty much right on the head. A lot of things went really wrong for the Cubs in 2012 including Soto and Byrd going from average major leaguers to absolute crap, Stewart's wrist not being healthy, 40% of the rotation being traded, and injuries to key personel. While the Cubs moves are likely to be poo pooed by people looking for a splash, they actually spent a fair bit of money to add talent to the roster. There are a few guys that have been added internally, and all of that should add up to improvement. The improvement we are talking about though is from a 61 win to a mid 70 win team. Injuries and trades can adjust the calculus on this team, but a 10 win improvement over last year's roster should be the minimum expectation imo.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, they will be better no dobt. There SP depth was good last year, but filled with scrubs Coleman, Lopez etc. They actually have quality depth this time around. Plys veterans in the 'pen of whom should know how to throw strikes. I know it's not saying much, but Stewart is actually healthy for the 1st time in a few years.

Side notw: I have to get back to writing articles, but my work schedule changes and sucks now. I just don't have much time anymore, but there will be on on Friday when I'm off.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Yes, 2013 should be better than 2012.

The Cubs have Rizzo for the full season, Theo has strengthened the bullpen and has given the team solid starting pitching depth.

The Cubs also have a solid five man outfield stacked with excellent platooning options which should give them solid performances if the platoons are done properly.

Also, it is very hard to lose 100 games two seasons in a row.... despite the Astros proving you can lose 100 games multiple seasons in a row, and showing no sign of ending that streak any time soon.

Rizzo hmmmmmmm? I guess you think he's gonna be a hall of famer, typical Rizzo fan boy declaring him Lou Gehrig when he isn't even Nick Johnson. They shoulda signed Jonny Gomes to play first, now that's a ball player. But I should question the mastermind Theo hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Solid five man? I guess you like bad pitchers and must think Dontrelle will win 20 again hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Hm?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rizzo hmmmmmmm? I guess you think he's gonna be a hall of famer, typical Rizzo fan boy declaring him Lou Gehrig when he isn't even Nick Johnson. They shoulda signed Jonny Gomes to play first, now that's a ball player. But I should question the mastermind Theo hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Solid five man? I guess you like bad pitchers and must think Dontrelle will win 20 again hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Hm?
you-win-at-internets-win-internets-demotivational-poster-1272133551.jpg

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Roobs has gone full Rant Sports :shifty:

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Roobs has gone full Rant Sports :shifty:

Why the Cubs will suck BALLS in 2013

So when Theo was hired and stuffz I heard that he did a lot of stuff for the Boston Red Socks or whatever and won them 2 WS rings because he's smart and shit. Well it's year 2 and it looks like the beloved CUBBIES will lose 100 games. AGAIN! Gosh, I mean like, what has he done and stuff, I don't get it. First he trades Demp (best Harry Caray, right behind Will Feral) for some Randall Delgado guy, then he messes that up and I'm like "Thank the stars!" and then he trades Demp again for some shit. I mean, what the hell is a Christobal Villanueva? I've never heard of the guy, does he play football or something?

OH!

And speaking of which they couldn't even sign Capernick and he's a winner now with SF. I mean, what has this theo guy done anyway? Dontrelle Willis used to be good but why is he in the minors when EdLOSE JackSUCK is with the big boys in Chicago? Like, he doesn't even win. Then they get this Hairston guy, I don't even know which one I googled and he has like 56 brothers. WTF?

My point is that #RickettsCheap and the CUBBIES will suck again.

#FIRETHEO

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

So when Theo was hired and stuffz I heard that he did a lot of stuff for the Boston Red Socks or whatever and won them 2 WS rings because he's smart and shit. Well it's year 2 and it looks like the beloved CUBBIES will lose 100 games. AGAIN! Gosh, I mean like, what has he done and stuff, I don't get it. First he trades Demp (best Harry Caray, right behind Will Feral) for some Randall Delgado guy, then he messes that up and I'm like "Thank the stars!" and then he trades Demp again for some shit. I mean, what the hell is a Christobal Villanueva? I've never heard of the guy, does he play football or something?

OH!

And speaking of which they couldn't even sign Capernick and he's a winner now with SF. I mean, what has this theo guy done anyway? Dontrelle Willis used to be good but why is he in the minors when EdLOSE JackSUCK is with the big boys in Chicago? Like, he doesn't even win. Then they get this Hairston guy, I don't even know which one I googled and he has like 56 brothers. WTF?

#FIRETHEO

Can I regift my early meme?

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:

OH!

#FIRETHEO

:hitler:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with the general premise that this year's team should be better than last year's.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Their are many aspects to a baseball team, and very few of them have declined for the Cubs over the offseason. Unless a major injury crisis breaks out, the team is showing all signs that they will improve, despite the looks of a below .500 team. For those Cubs fans expecting perfection, just think that we can be this season’s Orioles.

Depends on what Sveum does as a manager. I think 70-75 wins is the most likely outcome, so Sveum's platooning/handling of the 'pen will be the key factors in how well they do.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
World Series here we come!

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seems like good reasoning for the Cubs to be a little better. Maybe 5 games better.

For those Cubs fans expecting perfection, just think that we can be this season’s Orioles.
but we all have this slight bit of wishful thinking somewhere in us :beer: :wacko:

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
They should be a few wins better, yes.