Will Cutler be the starter next year?

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
But Cutler threw a TD against the Vikings Damnit!!!

Well that absolutely undoes every shred of history!

Cutty forever!

You know- If stafford had any balls yesterday he would have gone for the TD rather than the completion and spike. That was weak sauce. Fuck the OT touchdown... should have never gotten to that point.

Orzo87

Liked Posts:
You need a brain.
Stafford has averaged more yards per year over the last 5 years than Cutler had in his best season.
Stafford has a 41 td season and a 32 td season and is on pace to eclipse 30 again. Cutler has never had a 30 td season.
Cutty has led the league in interceptions twice. Stafford never has.
Stafford has had 2 seasons with better than a 2-1 td to int ratio... Cutty has zero.
Stafford has started every game for the last 5 1/2 seasons. Cutler has played a single full season with chicago.

Cutler vs stafford is not even close. And Stafford just keeps getting better.

There is not an impartial person in the world that will call Cutler and Stafford roughly the same. Especially with Stafford getting better without Megatron. (which I #calledit)

Then go root for the lions ya sissy. How many Super Bowls did he win? How many division titles? I've read a lot of your posts and clearly you are a functioning Special person. The Bears have been hot garbage on the decline for years now, and you and a few others complain about Cutler( who is the best Bear's QB) believe me when I say that Cutler being the best Bears QB shows how crappy management is rather than how bad he is. Maybe he could've been better, but we'll never know cause he came here. To the Bears. A black hole of suckage for Qb's.

But I get it, you got kicked out of your dungeons and dragons group and decided to bring your stat trolling ass over here to wow people. Unfortunately, the problem with stats is that they don't tell you the whole problem. Football is a team sport, individual metrics are useful, but you need to have perspective to see the whole thing.

If the Bears were smart, which unfortunately they're not. They would have gotten rid of Cutler with Trestman and Emery.
But your right, let's spend most days bitching about the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.... well, I hope you understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can we stop talking about the Vikings like they're any damn good? They're a bad team on a 3-game losing streak to the Eagles, Bears and Lions, none of whom are very good either.

Their defense is still pretty good, their offense just plain sucks though.

Orzo87

Liked Posts:
My response was geared to the guy's opinion that the Bears were ahead in rebuilding compared to the Vikes, Pack, and Lions. I think that their rebuilding is pretty much stagnant. Some definite improvement defensively but on offense they have gotten worse. That is not a rebuilding that makes any sense in my estimation. In some positions, there have been improvements as in: center, left guard, ILBs, safety, DE, DT,maybe one or two others. But this is counterbalanced by positions that have not improved or have gotten worse as in: LT, RT, TE, WR, CB, KR, PR, K, and QB.

I understand, my apologies. People get caught up on a particular player or coach and lose sight of the fact that the Bears suck. I wish they didn't. But good lord if the damn Cubs can turn it around shouldn't the Bears.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Then go root for the lions ya sissy. How many Super Bowls did he win? How many division titles? I've read a lot of your posts and clearly you are a functioning Special person. The Bears have been hot garbage on the decline for years now, and you and a few others complain about Cutler( who is the best Bear's QB) believe me when I say that Cutler being the best Bears QB shows how crappy management is rather than how bad he is. Maybe he could've been better, but we'll never know cause he came here. To the Bears. A black hole of suckage for Qb's.

But I get it, you got kicked out of your dungeons and dragons group and decided to bring your stat trolling ass over here to wow people. Unfortunately, the problem with stats is that they don't tell you the whole problem. Football is a team sport, individual metrics are useful, but you need to have perspective to see the whole thing.

If the Bears were smart, which unfortunately they're not. They would have gotten rid of Cutler with Trestman and Emery.
But your right, let's spend most days bitching about the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.... well, I hope you understand.

Wow. Go get the sand out of your vagina and come on back. We can have a big boy conversation.

You can explain how cutty and Stafford are equal.
I will wait.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think that's it at all. The only way Cutler is average is because as he remains in the NFL, other NFL teams are turning over their QB position in an effort to get younger/better. If you compare Cutler to his true peer group, which is the group of QBs who have consistently started for the past decade, then you will see that Cutler is easily the worst. Cutler rarely has good games against good defenses. He is decidedly below average, and then at the end of the season his stats will be elevated to 'average' status because the Browns will have spent the whole year playing Brandon Weeden or the Texans will have had TJ Yates start for the final 8 games.
This idea that Cutler is wildly inconsistent is wrong. He is consistently below average. He doesn't have big statistical games. He doesn't play well against good teams. We've been over this territory ad nauseum.

Pretty interesting #take here. I like the angle of it. Similar to people defending the Cutler contract because guys like Stafford or Tannehill etc got big deals but that really isn't applicable to Cuter and they aren't his "peer group".

Except it's not because you're then treating the situations around the contract as equal. They aren't. No one can name another 31 year old QB whose performance was similar to Cutler's who got paid like he did. It's never happened.

I could name tons of young QB's who have gotten large contracts based on potential or performance/trends.

You're treating The Dolphins betting the high side of Ryan Tannehill's development after a season in which he played 16 games at the age of 25 and had improved for three straight seasons, or the Lions paying Stafford one season removed from a 5,000 yard 41 TD 16INT season at the age of 25, and averaging that money against a 31 year old Cutler getting 7 years $126 million after missing half the year and never having a season with a passer rating over 90 as equal or similar. They aren't.

Jay Cutler's not getting paid commensurate to his performance compared to other $18 million dollar QB's because he's never performed to their level in one way and/or another and doesn't have the same long term growth potential as them.

The average NFL QB salary isn't rising because of contracts being given to players like Cutler(31 year old career average performers. Little to no resume). It's rising because of contracts given to players like Stafford, Tannehill, Osweiler, Flacco, Ryan, Eli, Rodgers, Rivers, Manning, Brady, Romo, etc So you treating Cutler's contract as acceptable or excusable or "par for the course in the NFL" because it's similar money wise to those is ridiculous.

They didn't give Cutler "average" production money. When the Cutler was signed he was getting elite QB money. Even now when people want to point out other QB's he's similar to in salary. It makes zero sense because guys like Stafford and Tannehill have already out performed him before getting similar money. Stafford and Tannehill didn't get money to regress to Cutler numbers. They got paid what Cutler is getting paid now to either keep producing at an elite or near elite level or continue to progress from good or well above average to very good/elite.

Every year there are high paid QB's who fall off a bit and under perform their salary. Same as their are under paid QB's who rise and over perform. It's kind of stupid to compare Cutler only to the high end of guys making money who have fallen off when I can easily turn around and point out guys who made a fraction of what Cutler does and on a year to year basis rise up and perform to his level. One of them is the current #2 QB on the roster.

You're shrugging your shoudlers saying "Well, it's ok for Cutler to be average because his salary kind of falls in the middle of NFL QB salaries" when that ignores the fact that Cutler has never given you the peak or potential argument for the guys around him. Cutler is making big money without ever having really performed in a way to earn it or given the Bears the long term hope at the position even before he was given the deal in 2013/14. It's not the same case.

That's NOT the point of this discussion. It's if Cutler is getting the "going rate" for a QB. He's not. The guys making $18 million a year don't have career arcs similar to Cutler relative to when they got paid that money. The going rate for a 31 year old QB with 1 Pro Bowl, 1 playoff appearance, lead the league in turnovers or INT's multiple times, and a passer rating never over 90 is not $18 million a year.

Last edited:

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams

this-bitch-right-here.jpg

bearsden

Liked Posts:
Its funny how even now people are still defending the Cliff Stein Contract in a backhanded sort of way..."Its a good contract because the Bears can get out of it now"...I also like the new narrative that other NFL teams would be willing to add Cutler to their roster and pay him $18M+.

You really believe no team would? I would bet money a team would.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
The FO would be wise to jettison him and start over at the QB position

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The only way Cutler starts next year is if he lights up the scoreb5and gets us close to playoff contention

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only way Cutler starts next year is if he lights up the scoreb5and gets us close to playoff contention

For the Bears maybe, if not the Bears he will start somewhere else unless he just retires. That's what I meant. Funny thing, during the Raven's game the announcer said something like flacco has had like 4 coordinators in 5 years. There's the comparison for Cutler now.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
For the Bears maybe, if not the Bears he will start somewhere else unless he just retires. That's what I meant. Funny thing, during the Raven's game the announcer said something like flacco has had like 4 coordinators in 5 years. There's the comparison for Cutler now.

I honestly don't know what team Cutler could immediately start for next year. Rams? Jets? Dolphins? All have some sort of answer at QB.

I heard the Ravens announcers too lol

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I honestly don't know what team Cutler could immediately start for next year. Rams? Jets? Dolphins? All have some sort of answer at QB.

The Browns or Jags?

It's doubtful that he'd start for a team in contention with the QB being the missing piece.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

There will be at least one team that botches their qb situation, or one that just prefers a veteran bridge. Cutler won't be making what he makes here, but a 7-8 mil per on a short contact probably. I was listening to one of the morning shows on NFL Network awhile ago and they were talking about how Cutler has stayed a starter so long in this league. One of the experts said it's always been the potential because of his arm. He said offensive coaches have big egos usually and think they can fix him. I don't see that changing, especially if he puts up mid 90s rating again this year.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The Browns or Jags?

It's doubtful that he'd start for a team in contention with the QB being the missing piece.

Browns maybe, jags have Bortles

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Browns haven't dished out big money to a QB in a long time. The RGIII deal was bargain basement. Not sure what the Browns would accomplish by giving $18M to Cutler when they already have McCown for a much cheaper rate...it would be like duplicating Phil Emery's stupidity, except this time you have the benefit of hindsight.

Are there still people arguing that he will make that much next year? Crazy.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
Osweiler got over 18m a year and Fitzpatick got 12m just this off season alone.

If the NFL has shown me anything over the years it's that it is full of idiots who will over pay for a QB.