Will the Sox win the division?

GrinderBall41

Sox/B'Hawks/Bears/Purdue
Liked Posts:
He wouldn't have made too big of a difference. We'd most likely be in first place right now though.

More importantly, we wouldnt be considering selling the farm for a LH bat. Thome was everything that the team needs this year. Power and plate discipline from the left side.

hsvj60

Liked Posts:
not to mention he strikes out a ton and clogs the basepaths as well... we need a good LH bat that is still in his youth/prime and can run faster than me and last time I ran a time in the 40 that was checked with an hour glass

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Sure as Fuck will, and I'm a Cubs fan.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Caustically optimistic. Lets see if they can continue this success post all-star break.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
not to mention he strikes out a ton and clogs the basepaths as well... we need a good LH bat that is still in his youth/prime and can run faster than me and last time I ran a time in the 40 that was checked with an hour glass

That "clogs the basepaths" notion is so played. Thome's 1.4 WAR out classes every single one of the Sox' regular DH's save for one, Konerko. Keep in mind, though, that Konerko's WAR has been put up in more than twice as many PA's as Thome has had. Thome has pantsed this entire organization for passing on him.

Got teeth? Keith doesn't.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
That "clogs the basepaths" notion is so played. Thome's 1.4 WAR out classes every single one of the Sox' regular DH's save for one, Konerko. Keep in mind, though, that Konerko's WAR has been put up in more than twice as many PA's as Thome has had. Thome has pantsed this entire organization for passing on him.

1.3 WAR in 140 at bats from someone whose docked for positional adjustment, that shows you how good his bat has been and we could have really used him as our DH.

hsvj60

Liked Posts:
if you put Thome in a situation to succeed he's going to put up numbers because he always has been a good power hitter. The thing about him now is he is only situations he can succeed in and not an everyday LH bat in the line up and he sure the hell can't play 1B and if he does get on the only one who can't outrun him is Paulie and Hawk Harrellson so come on Thome is not the answer for this team this year

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
if you put Thome in a situation to succeed he's going to put up numbers because he always has been a good power hitter. The thing about him now is he is only situations he can succeed in and not an everyday LH bat in the line up and he sure the hell can't play 1B and if he does get on the only one who can't outrun him is Paulie and Hawk Harrellson so come on Thome is not the answer for this team this year

With Thome playing with us all year, I guarantee you we are in first place right now.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Detroit lost, Sox won 15-5. FIRST PLACE

GrinderBall41

Sox/B'Hawks/Bears/Purdue
Liked Posts:
Thome isnt obnoxiously slow it just seems like it because he's so big. Well that and the fact that he's constantly jogging around the bases.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
Thome isnt obnoxiously slow it just seems like it because he's so big. Well that and the fact that he's constantly jogging around the bases.

No, he is pretty obnoxiously slow to me. When he runs it's almost as if he's fucking with us. Sadly, that is really how fast he is. But still, his bat would have made it all worthwhile and we would have likely been in first place a week or so ago had we had him as our DH all year.

GrinderBall41

Sox/B'Hawks/Bears/Purdue
Liked Posts:
No, he is pretty obnoxiously slow to me. When he runs it's almost as if he's fucking with us. Sadly, that is really how fast he is. But still, his bat would have made it all worthwhile and we would have likely been in first place a week or so ago had we had him as our DH all year.

He always seemed just a touch more agile than PK and JD to me.

hsvj60

Liked Posts:
nothing about anyone of those 3 guys brings a thought of "ahility" to my mind in other words to me they are the epitamy of "walking stiffs" now if we got a power hitter with a little more hop in his step like Quentin then i culd see you confusing them with agility but the first 3 in all their glory are not agile in any way, shape or form sorry.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
nothing about anyone of those 3 guys brings a thought of "ahility" to my mind in other words to me they are the epitamy of "walking stiffs" now if we got a power hitter with a little more hop in his step like Quentin then i culd see you confusing them with agility but the first 3 in all their glory are not agile in any way, shape or form sorry.

Ok, but since when do you need to be agile to be considered valuable in the MLB?

GrinderBall41

Sox/B'Hawks/Bears/Purdue
Liked Posts:
Doesnt matter how slow your baserunners are if your team hits 200+ HR's

Crooked Vulture

Liked Posts:
We are in first without Jim. But, I think he would have helped win a couple games over Kotsay as the LH DH.
I'd be surprised to see a big trade this year (like for Berkman or LaRoche), but maybe KW gets lucky?
Should be fun down the stretch unless we come unglued...