OT: Lions beat writers on trading Stafford

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
https://amp.freep.com/amp/2548321002

"The Chicago Bears lost their excellent defensive coordinator this week, when the Denver Broncos hired him as their head coach. Under Fangio this season, Chicago's defense was third overall and first in scoring. Needless to say, the Bears’ loss is the Detroit Lions’ gain.

So good riddance and good luck, Vic.

And now that you’re out of the NFC North, how about a little horse trading for a certain quarterback you’re fond of?

That’s right. Matthew Stafford."

The longer the Lions keep Stafford & Patricia, the better off the Bears are.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Stafford is there for the long haul. Him and Cousins can battle it out for worst QB in the division for a few more years

Visionman

Liked Posts:
It's true that as long as they have Stafford they are doomed.

I talked with a few of my Lions fan frienemies yesterday about this trade idea. Carlos is pretty foolish to even suggest it, and obviously has absolutely no clue about how trades or the salary cap works in the NFL. Both teams cap hits would be astronomical on this trade. Completely undoable.

Not to mention how completely stupid an idea it is on every other level too...

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Stafford is there for the long haul. Him and Cousins can battle it out for worst QB in the division for a few more years

Stafford is Cutler with fantasy stats. He's just like Cutler that he keeps your team in competition purgatory.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It's true that as long as they have Stafford they are doomed.

I talked with a few of my Lions fan frienemies yesterday about this trade idea. Carlos is pretty foolish to even suggest it, and obviously has absolutely no clue about how trades or the salary cap works in the NFL. Both teams cap hits would be astronomical on this trade. Completely undoable.

Not to mention how completely stupid an idea it is on every other level too...

Yeah, I don't think Fangio would want to trade his best defensive player that is the lynchpin for his defense.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who else beside the 49ers and Broncos would even have a spot for Stafford as a starter?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The funny thing is, Lions fans think the reason we lost is because of poor QB play (like they have a clue what good QB play looks like), and feel we are wasting an elite defense with a QB who will hold us back.

Can't wait for next season. Not everyone is like Stafford...10 years in and still playing like a rookie...

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Stafford was never elite even though he got paid like it. Personally though, I would take him everyday over Eli and Flacco who both won Super Bowls with great defenses.

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
The funny thing is, Lions fans think the reason we lost is because of poor QB play (like they have a clue what good QB play looks like), and feel we are wasting an elite defense with a QB who will hold us back.

Can't wait for next season. Not everyone is like Stafford...10 years in and still playing like a rookie...

I get the "lions don't know what good qb play looks like" comment...but aren't Bears fans in the same boat here??

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
They have a cutler situation with pad statsford he isn’t going anywhere

The narrative in media all day yesterday was pretty much begging to sign bell and trade for brown.

And they were crying they couldn’t get gase for oc

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Who would think the Bears would want north-of-30, never-won-a-playoff-game, $135 million Matthew Stafford??

This isn’t even a thought exercise. It’s an exercise in stupidity.

EDIT: Fail by me, didn’t realize he was talking about the Broncos.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Who would think the Bears would want north-of-30, never-won-a-playoff-game, $135 million Matthew Stafford??

This isn’t even a thought exercise. It’s an exercise in stupidity.

This is about a hypothetical trade between the Lions & Broncos

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Who else beside the 49ers and Broncos would even have a spot for Stafford as a starter?

49ers have Glass Jimmy remember?

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Jacksonville

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Stafford was never elite even though he got paid like it. Personally though, I would take him everyday over Eli and Flacco who both won Super Bowls with great defenses.

I would agree with that... he is good enough to not fuck up a great supporting cast.

I thought he might improve as a passer once he was no longer obligated to force feed megatron, but he hasn't shown that next step yet.

Glad I am.not a Detroit fan- he is good enough that you would likely get a decline without him, not good enough to Aaron rodgers the team in to the playoffs.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stafford’s a good QB. Too often teams try to put the entire franchise on the QB’s back. It’s a team game. When is the last time Detroit had a fearsome defense? They’ve only had tiny bits and pieces here and there throughout the years. 1 key weapon here. Decent weapon there. Rarely ever any semblance of running game to speak of. The building of a team is not complete because you have the quarterback position well covered.

It’s pretty ignorant and downright stupid of fans to frown more on a QB cause his shit franchise could never put it all together. Meanwhile the same fans elevate a QB like Trubisky as an elite defense carries him along.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Stafford’s a good QB. Too often teams try to put the entire franchise on the QB’s back. It’s a team game. When is the last time Detroit had a fearsome defense? They’ve only had tiny bits and pieces here and there throughout the years. 1 key weapon here. Decent weapon there. Rarely ever any semblance of running game to speak of. The building of a team is not complete because you have the quarterback position well covered.

It’s pretty ignorant and downright stupid of fans to frown more on a QB cause his shit franchise could never put it all together. Meanwhile the same fans elevate a QB like Trubisky as an elite defense carries him along.

So Stafford and Cousins have the warrior spirit?