OT: Trouble in Philly?

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wentz staying healthy seems to be a problem they are going to have, even if this is made up BS

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Alshon's lack of regular season production with Wentz is a bit telling that something is up. Alshon had 6 of his best 8 games with Foles. Foles started 7 to Wentz's 11.

Also, if Alshon makes that catch then Philly is in 2 straight SB's with Foles.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is fabricated BS to ease the tension of trading him and keeping the much better QB in Foles.
That's plausible.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
There's some likely spots for Foles, and Foles is almost a bit eccentric, he'll do what he wants, not really about the money. I'm going to predict Jacksonville or Denver... and something about Denver is shaking.

Jacksonville...
Jacksonville seems most likely because starter Bortles is out, and new OC DeFillippo coached Foles during his Superbowl run, and Jags are nursing thoughts of a Superbowl run now, thinking a good QB will put them in contention.

Problem is Jags have no money. They'll have to eat $15mil or more on Bortles, hope to recoup if Bortles is signed elsewhere, probably as a ready backup (maybe Philly?). Jags will have to lose at least a couple good Def players, but they'll do it.

One article writes
Blake Bortles figures to be on his way out. Tom Coughlin's Giants witnessed Foles' talent plenty of times back in the day -- talent that drew praise from Coughlin at the time. Foles has considered relocating to Florida before. And the Jags' new offensive coordinator just happens to be John DeFilippo, the same man who mentored Foles as the Eagles' QBs coach during Philly's Super Bowl run. Jacksonville drafting a future face of the franchise wouldn't preclude them from pursuing Foles, either, considering this team is just a year removed from an AFC title trip. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/where-will-nick-foles-play-in-2019-ranking-the-eagles-qbs-most-likely-landing-spots

I think he goes to Washington or Jacksonville. Somewhere he can start right away as opposed to wait or compete with someone else.
Kind of doubt Wash. If Alex Smith is permanently damage, Wash is still stuck paying him $70m. And I think Wash is positive on McCoy and Josh Johnson.

Miami is another spot, as ownership seems impatient, that may extend to QB Tannehill, and Dolphins can spread his dead cap easier than Jags.

Denver seems in the mix -- Crazyman Elway is making moves. Keenum didn't impress and contract has an out for 2019, but still a $10m cap hit, but doable. How's Fangio like Foles? After seeing his Superbowl elite Def lose due to floundering young folks Trub, Nagy & Pace sticking with Parkey, they may want some vet action (tho Keenum is 30).

Ryan Tannehill is still on the team, but he may not be come this summer if Miami opts to spread the dead money of a potential release over the next two years. Team owner Stephen Ross is getting impatient, and at age 30, Tannehill has accomplished far less than Foles. Miami is also expected to hire New England Patriots assistant Brian Flores as their new coach -- the same man who watched Foles carve up his defense in the Super Bowl. Even if the 'Phins draft a new QB, they'd draw fans right away with No. 9.

The Broncos gave Case Keenum, Foles' former teammate, $36 million a year ago. But it's fair to wonder if John Elway won't make sweeping changes (again), especially since Denver can get out of Keenum's deal pretty easily. Foles has his career similarities to Keenum, another guy who's flashed in small sample sizes, but Foles also won a Super Bowl, and there are few executives who love title-winning veteran QBs like Elway.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
This isn't really related, but I remember when the Ravens got rid of Trent Dilfer after winning the Super Bowl (and replacing him with Elvis Grbac, of all people), the reason I heard was that everyone in the Ravens locker room loved Dilfer, and Brian Billick didn't like his QB being more respected than himself, so he got rid of Dilfer. Perhaps Foles will suffer the same fate.

Grbac is interesting, he left a divided locker room in KC (dispute over Gannon or him), signed a big deal with Balt, played worse than Dilfer and then retires.
KC for some reason had a hard on for leftover SF QB's--from Montana to Bono to Grbac and then to Alex Smith

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I read an article yesterday about how Foles is loved in the locker room and how Wentz is kind of an entitiled asshole. Wentz is incredibly hard working and intelligent, but doesn't take criticism and doesn't practice what he preaches. He's kind of a dick. Wentz also over-complicates the offense and doesn't run it simply like Foles does. I believe the quote was "Wentz could complicated 2+2".

As such, some players perfer Foles.

So there are players on the team that like the backup QB? Stop the presses with this breaking news!

Anyway, the list of people going on record supporting him keeps growing. So far it's been Fletcher Cox, Brandon Brooks, Zach Ertz, Lane Johnson, Jason Kelce and Nate Sudfeld (backup QB who works closely with him). Add in that both Wentz and Foles have been very open about how well they get along and the 'un-named sources' don't really align with what has been already well documented about his character.

I'd add throughout the year a team has 65-70 players (injuries included). It's not likely that everyone gets along. I'd add to look at the greats. Think if names like Elway, Marino and Montana to more current names like Big Ben, Rodgers and Wilson all have had negative things written about their leadership or how likable they are.

Anytime I think of how team dynamics work and how really successful players operate I'm reminded of the saying, "Lions care not for the opinions of a sheep". Let's just jump over and look at Chicago's greatest athlete of all time in Michael Jordan. Do you think he was modeling his game or even caring about the opinions of Steve Kerr, John Paxton or Craig Hodges? No. He probably looked at each of those guys as different animals altogether.

I guess if the locker room is divided the math is pretty simple. The all-pros in Cox, Kelce, Brooks, Johnson and Ertz are all behind Wentz. Not sure how good the 'un-named' players are, but if they aren't going to get in line they can leave.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Don’t shoot the messenger

giphy.gif

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Nah, Arians loves Winston.

Winston is teetering on rivaling Cutlers Coach Killer status

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Winston is teetering on rivaling Cutlers Coach Killer status

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, but Arians was supposedly into coaching Cutler, then the press conference audition happened, and Emery turned out to be a doofus.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Kangol vs visor

:thinking:

heheheheheheh

BEARS

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Nah, Arians loves Winston.

The problem I see with that is Winston just doesn't throw a good deep ball. He's a good short to medium route QB, but he just lacks touch on the deep balls. He had one of the best deep treats in Desean Jackson and for those that remembered Mike Evans while catching balls from Johnny Football they should have killed teams. That's also why Jackson liked Fitz. He was just better at the deep ball.

IMO the Arians offense needs to threaten teams deep to get the running game going. His best runs all happened when Carson Palmer was going deep regularly. When that was not effective things dried up.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
So there are players on the team that like the backup QB? Stop the presses with this breaking news!

Anyway, the list of people going on record supporting him keeps growing. So far it's been Fletcher Cox, Brandon Brooks, Zach Ertz, Lane Johnson, Jason Kelce and Nate Sudfeld (backup QB who works closely with him). Add in that both Wentz and Foles have been very open about how well they get along and the 'un-named sources' don't really align with what has been already well documented about his character.

I'd add throughout the year a team has 65-70 players (injuries included). It's not likely that everyone gets along. I'd add to look at the greats. Think if names like Elway, Marino and Montana to more current names like Big Ben, Rodgers and Wilson all have had negative things written about their leadership or how likable they are.

Anytime I think of how team dynamics work and how really successful players operate I'm reminded of the saying, "Lions care not for the opinions of a sheep". Let's just jump over and look at Chicago's greatest athlete of all time in Michael Jordan. Do you think he was modeling his game or even caring about the opinions of Steve Kerr, John Paxton or Craig Hodges? No. He probably looked at each of those guys as different animals altogether.

I guess if the locker room is divided the math is pretty simple. The all-pros in Cox, Kelce, Brooks, Johnson and Ertz are all behind Wentz. Not sure how good the 'un-named' players are, but if they aren't going to get in line they can leave.

Alshon is the ring leader. He put up better numbers with the Bears. He’s not happy with the fire croch.