Wildcard playoff film review: DEFENSE

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1ST HALF

It wasn’t complete domination by any means, but the defense didn’t necessarily lose this game. It did feel at times like death by a thousand paper cuts. Things did begin on the shaky side, as the Eagles offense made a resounding statement to begin the game. It was the 2nd play, and a brilliant play call by Doug Pederson. The Bears were in a cover 1 man coverage, with Amos playing the robber out of strong safety into the middle of the field.

3kcfxDR.jpg

Because this is man, Fuller has to follow his man across the field, leaving the entire side of the field empty against the eventual screen pass...

o--uHC.gif

There was only 1 bear on that side of the field who had any chance of stopping this play, and it was Trevathan. But this is where the statement comes in, as the Eagles center absolutely levels him to wipe him out of the play. That’s how you make a statement...

cyhirMu.jpg

QqkSho.gif

That play withstanding, the Bears inside linebackers were the stars of the show putting together a dominating performance. Rookie Roquan Smith, in his first playoff game, stepped up and carried the defense...

6ZhYrh.gif

But the Eagles did drive the field with relative ease on their first possession. And this is because of a big risk Doug Pederson took in his gameplan. All season, teams have been keeping extra blockers in on passes, or at least using TE’s/RB’s to chip. So even if the pass rush didn’t get home, they were still affecting the game by making life easier on the secondary as a whole. Pederson decided to go with basic 5 man protections, sending 5 targets out immediately. This opened up holes in the Bears secondary.

The Bears are in cover 1 man coverage again, with Amos playing the robber in the middle of the field. But the RB is sent out into the flat immediately at the snap, forcing Amos to go cover him.

SpXO8QZ.jpg

The TE Ertz also released immediately. Not slowed down by any chipping assignments, Ertz is able to beat Fuller to the open space down the middle...

XHihR0.gif

A few plays later, Foles did a great job of averting disaster. Ertz is the primary read on this play, and Amos is giving him too much space underneath. Foles sees an easy completion, but he does not see a lurking Roquan Smith hidden behind the front. At the last possible moment, Foles does catch himself and adjust. Roquan Smith looked like he was 2 moves ahead of everyone in this game...

f5BkC9f.jpg

WdyKtC.gif

Khalil Mack was not getting to the QB early in the game. He made up for it in the run game. On these kinds of runs, the defense doesn’t even bother to block the defender on the opposite side because he’s usually out of the play. Unless he’s Khalil Mack...

SVATSa.gif

Here Mack gets around the RT twice to make the stop...

vqKo7F.gif

Yes, this was a reception, but the coverage by Smith was so damn good on this play. I can’t stress enough how great he was in this game...

BcV1Dn.gif

DEFENSIVE ADJUSTMENTS

Vic Fangio answered the opening drive tactics swiftly. If the Eagles are not going to help their offensive line, he would force their hand by blitzing into it. The adjustments came on the very next possession, following this nice tackle by Deon Bush to stifle a potential big run. He was 20+ yards away from the LOS at one point, and closed in to keep the run to minimal yards...

PlaGJ3.gif

A 5 receiver set against a ferocious pass rush working against crowd noise pinned deep near your end zone is bordering on arrogance. Fangio sends Trevathan on the blitz and forces Foles into a dangerously erratic pass...

lh_h8n.gif

The Eagles look to have called a screen out of the perfect coverage again...

HZja69z.jpg

But this time Trevathan will not be denied...

4Atdyg.gif

Hicks with a rather violent maneuver to free himself up...

IcJNHKy.jpg

eLAW59.gif

Here the Bears are in cover 3 zone with the SS Amos playing underneath coverage. Amos is responsible for picking up anything handed off to him underneath, but he also has to keep proper depth. Amos bites inside hard off the snap and gets sucked in too far underneath, opening up a huge open zone in which Alshon Jeffery enters...

qzTRqsu.jpg

uZve1r.gif

At the LOS, a scraping Trevathan actually cuts this play short before it’s fully developed. But Amos leaves such a huge void that Foles has the luxury of rainbowing this ball up into space. If Amos maintained the proper depth, this pass would never have been attempted...

sbUNcf.gif

But on the very next play, Roquan Smith bailed Amos out. He has to choose between the RB and the TE here, and he reads Foles like a book...

ZZ2KGk.gif

Here is a cover zero blitz from the Bears. It looks like they send 7, but Eddie Goldman of all people backs into coverage. LOL..

wva0c1K.jpg

I now understand the term “Foles magic”. I have no idea how he completes some of these throws, especially in the face of pressure, with his weak arm and awkward short armed throws...

5p6BtM.gif

Remember when people (Brett Kollmann) were saying Roquan Smith had a fatal flaw in that he wouldnt be able to shed blocks in the NFL...

3k5QaSo.jpg

IYJiIO.gif

Here the Bears are in cover 2 man coverage...

cJCbcx4.jpg

Both outside receivers run sideline routes to widen the safeties and open up the middle of the field, where McManis is beaten badly by the slot receiver...

TF4uWmo.jpg

At the LOS, Khalil Mack is rushing inside on a stunt.

ZNF3x1A.jpg

And because of a heads up decision by Trevathan, he penetrates the line. Once Trevathan reads that
the RB is not releasing immediately, he threatens a blitz through the A gap. This forces the center to account for him and leaves an open lane for Mack to attack...

if0sWpV.jpg

Once Mack is through, Trevathan bounces back out to cover the RB...

fuUMScO.jpg

Because of the pressure up the middle, Foles is unable to step up into his throw. With a weak arm to begin with, he definitely can’t get much on throws without the use of his lower body. So he is forced to throw up an incredibly wreckless floater down the middle of the field that could have gotten his wr killed. But somehow he got away with another one. #folesmagic

7plk5S.gif

THE BRILLIANCE OF FANGIO

Year after year, new rules are put in place which make it easier and easier to score points and almost impossible to slow even an adequate offense. I believe the only way to survive these mounting odds is to think outside the box. But if you look around the league, most defensive coordinators still have the same generic philosophy. An emphasis on stopping the run (a lot of cover 1 and cover 3), playing to their strengths (same coverages all game), pressure the qb (blitz). But year over year, these philosophies become less effective in the new NFL...

Stop the run —> Teams now pass more than ever on early downs
Playing to strengths —> defense becomes way too predictable against good QB’s
Sending pressure —> easily beat nowadays unless it’s out of an unexpected formation

In comes Vic Fangio. He seems like an old school type of coach that is perceived to lean on his talent because he doesn’t take “risks” (blitz). In actuality, it’s quite the opposite. Fangio is actually hyper agressive, just not in the traditional old way. Fangio actually reminds me a lot of Bill Belichick, an outside the box thinker with a defense that evolves from game to game. While most defensive coordinators are trying to simply stop offenses, Fangio already knows he can stop you. So he goes one step further and tries to dictate the offense/defense exchange.

It’s 2nd down and 9 at the Bears 21 yard line. The Eagles are in a 3 x 1 receiver set, and the Bears appear to be in cover 2 man Coverage.

EDBXraa.jpg

Peyton Manning, when asked how he reads defenses presnap, remarked that he first figures out what sort of defense it simply cannot be based on the defensive alignment. The Eagles #1 WR, Alshon Jeffery, is lined up alone on the short side of the field. Note the way Prince Amukamara is covering him presnap. He is right at the line of scrimmage in a press man technique. This almost confirms to Nick Foles that this cannot be cover 1 man coverage post snap, because you would not leave Alshon Jeffery 1 on 1 with no help over the top with a CB that is going to try to jam him at the snap. There is just no way. The safety over the top is specifically what allows the cb to play this tight. This could be cover 2 as it already looks, or it could be cover 3 if Amukamara immediately bails from his press position to cover a third of the field.

Nick Foles proceeds to bark out a hard count in order to see if Prince is going to bail out of his press coverage position, but he doesn’t move in the slightest. This confirms to him that this is cover 2 man.

fFEE4Um.jpg

After diagnosing the Coverage presnap, Foles decides to completely eliminate Alshon Jeffery as a viable progression, as he will be double teamed on a short field. As the ball is snapped, and through the progression of the play, Foles never looks to Jeffery. Instead, knowing that his only play is to his right, Foles takes the first open lane he can find to move to his right and make the throw easier for him. Had he not eliminated Alshon presnap, he had enough time and space to stand in the pocket and progress to his left...

PqLood.gif

But this was not cover 2. Fangio actually did leave Alshon 1 on 1 off of a jam at the LOS. If Foles were to look his way, he’d see Jeffery making short work of Amukamara. But he didn’t, and Fangio somehow knew that. Fangio was baiting Foles to throw the ball to a specific area of the field, and he deployed both safeties to converge at that very point of the field. He sent Amos to Bush’s side to undercut the route...

jXFklEu.jpg

Amos even stops at one point, even though there is no threat coming into the deep middle, just to stay out of Foles’ line of sight until the ball is thrown. Great strategic work by Fangio...

soOHsK.gif

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2ND HALF

Eddie Goldman vs TE...

Gb90P5.gif

Cover 2 man again, and great coverage all the way around. As this ball is thrown, Roquan Smith is all over Ertz and Amos seems to be in pretty good position...

YEcjB8y.jpg

But he just doesn’t have the range. And to top it off, he doesn’t track the ball and hits Ertz blindly...

nQjiZy.gif

Trevathan pounces...

bJ5Agc.gif

Crucial 3rd down and absolutely abysmal coverage by Houston-Carson...

7_WFeD.gif

Foles is ready to concede this play, bracing himself for impact, until he sees Houston-Carson giving his receiver a 2 mile cushion..

TvosZ0.gif

Have I mentioned how GREAT Roquan Smith was in this game?

BglGqY.gif

This time the Eagles decide to block Mack from the backside, same result...

iwwNmM3.jpg

8EG8FA.gif

Mack added another gear to his game in the 4th quarter...

7gRV4Z.gif

3rd and long and Amos just gives up way too much space here. Roquan Smith can only sink so far...

7mUzbZq.jpg

VX9umO.gif

This is as bad as it gets, folks. Foles attempting a no look pass across his body across the field with his girly arm and Khalil Mack right in his face. The Eagles should have been disqualified after this play. #folesmagic

hrjTb0.gif

THE FINAL DRIVE

The final drive was just a long, drawn out series of unfortunate events. It all started with Amukamara and McManis colliding with each other, leaving Jeffery open...

SVorkxk.jpg

fRCeRk.gif

Kyle Fuller hits the ball carrier at a side angle with such force, that it ricochets him away from the Bears ILB’s, turning a 2 yard gain into a 10 yard gain...

8TQyZy.gif

McManis comes on a slot blitz, so Foles immediately gets it to the wr he was covering. Deon Bush backed it up perfectly, but the over pursuit turned no gain into an 8 yard gain...

JG4N-X.gif

2nd down and short with the Bears in cover 2 man coverage again. Roquan Smith is responsible for the TE in the flat...

AsBKv96.jpg

TFLhebB.jpg

Knowing this, Foles pump fakes to the flat in order to clear Smith out from the middle so that he could get the ball to Ertz. While this is happening, Khalil Mack somehow ducks under the block of Lane Johnson...

oS9A7rj.jpg

But Smith is not your ordinary rookie, as he possesses otherworldly instincts. Smith is not fooled for a second. The moment Foles moves his eyes toward the middle of the field, Smith stops on a dime.

JMshwjC.jpg

With no time for confirmation with Mack barreling down on him, Foles just assumes Smith will clear out and goes ahead with a pass. But since Smith has not moved, there is absolutely nothing here. Ertz is completely engulfed by a double team and Foles has just made another critical mistake...

5Mlo5yq.jpg

wFFgHOw.jpg

But Foles gets away with it again because of the ball placement and the push off by Ertz which knocks Smith to the ground and catapults himself backwards in position to make the catch. #folesmagic

mB_NMe.gif

JpEu1-.gif

3rd and 9 from the 13 yard line, the most critical play in the drive. The ball is in that area where it’s hard to find any space to throw into because of the crowded zones, yet still far enough away where a checkdown is not a threat to score. The secondary is aligned in 4 deep quarter zones of a very compressed alignment. And Amos basically sinks the Bears within his first (false) step...

iP40FXA.jpg

At the snap of the ball, Amos takes a full stride in the wrong direction, leaving his zone open. If he simply read the qb, he would see him staring down Alshon for the entirety of the play...

zkx9Og.gif

o9LbUb.gif

Last edited:

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh, thank God, an in depth, thought provoking post on a Friday.

Good job as usual. Should incite some football talk instead of the sociology shit that's been stirring lately.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The pictures reminded me that Jackson was on the bench the whole game :crying:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Awesome job, Amos was just brutal multiple times. I think Eddie Jackson coming out of the endzone cost the Bears this game as much as anything else.

How incredible was Roquan's improvement throughout the season? And he clearly loves games where the lights are bright.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
That 3rd & 9 was brutal. I just don't get why he decided to give Jeffrey such a big cushion.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
great breakdown...having said that why pay amos again?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thought it was the way some of this board were picking on Bush instead of Amos. A healthy Jackson is definitely a positive over Bush here but Amos kinda sucked all game. I'm not sure that Bush will be worse at SS. Amos is more like a mini LB than a safety and why he was always better suited for SS vs FS where he started. Thanks Adi. While the D was schemed better than the O, I still think Fangio needed to keep sending guys to create more quick pressure until Foles luck ran out. Foles was making quick decisions to help counter our pressure. Not all good ones either and we needed to keep making him throw it up.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The Amos personal foul was a huge turning point in the game. It kept the D on the field after what should have been a critical stop and led to their first TD.

On the Foles duck into triple coverage, the minute it was completed I felt if Jackson had been out there it would have been an easy pick for him.

Great job Adipost. I appreciate the effort.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I've been on the Eddie Jackson train since they lost this one. I don't necessarily dog Amos...but I think he's really benefited from Jackson & this game kind of exposed him. I see the Bears bringing in depth at the safety position and let Amos walk.

I'm excited to see what Smith can do in his second season.

On a side note...Mack is quite the versatile edge rusher...and perception is reality on him.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks Adi for the quality content

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
I'm still not mentally ready for this kind of analysis

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Oh, thank God, an in depth, thought provoking post on a Friday.

Good job as usual. Should incite some football talk instead of the sociology shit that's been stirring lately.

It won't though. For some reason, Adi's posts are largely ignored. The same people thank and say great job and most lay off analyzing his work.

Most on CCS don't even opne the thread if you tally the number of views.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Adipost --

So after this review, what would you have changed to make the Bears performance better?

Who did the Bears miss most: Callahan or Jackson (biggest liability McManis, Bush, Amos, someone else)?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
In the Eagles game there's no doubt that the biggest liability was Amos. Aside from the great analysis above, Amos was also just owned by Dallas Goedert on the first TD.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
amos is virtually the same as kwiatkowski, both excel at stopping the run and both suck in coverage. I hope some team (not the bears) pays him top dollar.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Adipost --

So after this review, what would you have changed to make the Bears performance better?

Who did the Bears miss most: Callahan or Jackson (biggest liability McManis, Bush, Amos, someone else)?

Jackson

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I wanted to bump this up since it is currently the best thread on the forum.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
He was too focused on the TE Goedert underneath and followed him even though he was not threatening his zone.

I noticed that...Amos was unaware that Mack had him covered. Same kind of thing that got him benched a few years back. Bring on the Bush years.