MLB /Union discussing drastic rules changes

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Started to read it on MLBTR.

26 man. 28 in Sept. Not a big deal really. Tax should go up with it.

Pitchers 3:hitter min. This one I can see going back and forth. Might be a hard sale.

Universal DH. Seems player driven to get some FA out of limbo. Players would have to give something up for this to float IMO.

I like the basic concepts going in. I really don't see a DH added impacting the Cubs as they have Happ and Descanasio that can absorb.

So I don't see it passing honestly. But if it did it really doesn't affect the Cubs. They have the depth to use the DH to rest hitters on a semi day off status. They really don't have any LOOGY types so that bit is alittle annoying but having Chatwood and Montgomery in the pen pays off as they face both all of the time. It should also reduce the need for 8 man pens.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
DH, yes please.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
3 batter minimum is a change that must occur. They are also wanting to reduce mound visits more. Another must. If the DH goes through, people can stop complaining about Schwarber not getting traded.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'll never be a fan of the DH but I suppose i can live with it. Rest make a lot more sense. Honestly, it's some what surprising they haven't upped the roster to 26 or higher sooner given how disposable relievers are in todays game.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
3 batter minimum is a change that must occur. They are also wanting to reduce mound visits more. Another must. If the DH goes through, people can stop complaining about Schwarber not getting traded.

Schwarber held a 3 DRS. he is not inept anymore. The whole DH bit is not a factor with him anymore.

I personally would make Zo the main DH to add AB'S to him. Then do a semi rotation to give Bryant and others a hitting day where you don't lose his line up presence.

But saying Schwarber DH and Happ LF is not a accurate opinion anymore.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Schwarber held a 3 DRS. he is not inept anymore. The whole DH bit is not a factor with him anymore.

I personally would make Zo the main DH to add AB'S to him. Then do a semi rotation to give Bryant and others a hitting day where you don't lose his line up presence.

But saying Schwarber DH and Happ LF is not a accurate opinion anymore.
Yes. It is. They can do better in LF. They can also use DH some for matchups.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
The 3 batter min for pitchers will never fly. You might get a 2 batter minimum. The DH will happen because everyone other than some owners wants it.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The 3 batter min for pitchers will never fly. You might get a 2 batter minimum. The DH will happen because everyone other than some owners wants it.

I don't want the DH because it devalues your bench. If you can effectively roll out the same 9 games for 130 or so games all the bench is for is a backup catcher and platoon type guys. It really doesn't make teams build a quality bench.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The DH and September Roster I can see passing..

The max 12 pitchers on Roster with 3 batter rule may not go

The 12 pitcher thing would then eliminate the use of a position player eating innings in blowouts to save using up relievers

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
The most I can see happening in terms of minimum batters faced by a reliever would be that a pitcher who comes into an inning clean must face at least three batters, excepting injuries. Guys brought in during an inning, or with men on base, may well yet be allowed to face a single batter.

Similarly, they could invalidate the "starting reliever" concept by mandating, again except for cases of injury, that a starter must face the opposing team's lineup twice through before he can be pulled. That would limit the games where a starter walks two in a row in the 2nd inning, gets pulled by a paranoid manager, and then we see every reliever the team has shuttled into the game over the following seven innings. That is the scenario guaranteed to create the longest, most boring games.

I also betcha that if TV commercial breaks were banned during pitching changes, they could be accomplished in 20% less time.

So, there's a lot of meat they could get into during these discussions.

-Doug

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yes. It is. They can do better in LF. They can also use DH some for matchups.

I just don't agree with you. Zo is 38 and getting him 500+ PA is a larger reward than any so called LF benefit that you can squeek over 3DRS.

I'll call you opinion the uninformed and bias one.

Just for your info Kyle went from a -7 to a +3 after he focused on training and getting past his leg injury.

The thing is Happ is the inferior player. Even in D LF. He held a 1 DRS. Happ is poor at every position. The fact that he can cover that many really doesn't make up for this fact. Add to it he forgot how to hit RH it really weakened his impact. He has almost become a true 1 or 3 result type that is pushing DH limitations.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The DH and September Roster I can see passing..

The max 12 pitchers on Roster with 3 batter rule may not go

The 12 pitcher thing would then eliminate the use of a position player eating innings in blowouts to save using up relievers

3'batters rarely constitutes a inning. What was intended is bring up a pitcher to force a switch then countering with another switch. Thus burning a PH.

Add to it now you have to sit through 2 warm ups which the league is avoiding. This rule I see the league pushing. The union will counter with the DH universal to force teams to get some players out of limbo. The whole 26 honestly shouldn't be a road block. Some teams will just use that spot on a min contract and use as the see fit.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Just saw the players association asking for DH to be implemented this season..

Work out perfect for Cubs , they can have Schwarber DH and Harper play LF... lol

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

Work out perfect for Cubs , they can have Schwarber DH and Harper play LF... lol

I'll take it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

If it happens I see Happ as the DH in Apr for the most part. Zo at 2B. After Russell comes back Zo gets pushed off 2B and is a better producer than Happ. I do see some pivot happening with players getting a hitting day vs a day off if they are worn or in a slump where they can go 100% focused on hitting and in the cage inbetween AB's. That honestly should be more wide spread in baseball vs a dedicated DH.

Harper comes to the Cubs if Tom tosses the budget into the shit can this year. He is getting enough coming off the books to absorb in 20. From what he said it was related to working budget vs a CBA tax that was the issue.

Payroll is at 208,500,714/ 223,225,714 (actual from benefits and 40 man) Tax is at 226,322,143. So IMO their working budget this year is close to 225M. There is 0% chance that they let him in unless he goes bare min year 1 and Tom okays it.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Come on now. How many times have you seen a clean inning? Almost never.

What baseball reality do you exist in? Teams go 1-2-3 in an inning all the damn time, several times per game typically.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
50/50 at best.

The whole 3 hitter min rule could cause issues if your starter gets into a bind and you were planning on hitting for his AB. Now you are forced to let the relief pitcher hit because of a 3 hitter rule binding.

Forcing rules like that is bad for baseball. DH universal would have to be mandatory then.