Fangio on Bears roster

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This was his comment on the state of the Bears roster when he was hired:

“What they were doing was putting Band-Aids on every little problem, hoping they would be a good team the next year. By the time we got there, they sucked. They were old, no young talent, no nothing. I’ve coached on two expansions teams in Carolina and with the Texans, and our roster on defense when I was hired was worse than those expansion team defenses.”

Yikes! Emery really did leave a steaming pile of dog shit for Pace to fix.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

“What they were doing was putting Band-Aids on every little problem, hoping they would be a good team the next year. By the time we got there, they sucked. They were old, no young talent, no nothing. I’ve coached on two expansions teams in Carolina and with the Texans, and our roster on defense when I was hired was worse than those expansion team defenses.”

Smart fans have been pointing that out since the beginning of the Pace era. Dumb fans expected a quick fix.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
He said something similar when he was still here. Asked about the 4-3 to 3-4 switch he remarked that when he got here the roster wasn't built for anything. Don't remember what season it was.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Smart fans have been pointing that out since the beginning of the Pace era. Dumb fans expected a quick fix.

I knew a lot of fans who thought Emery was a good GM and were surprised when he got fired. Kinda like Pace, the defense was always, "He's cleaning up Lovie & Angelo's mess." Some fans will not admit a guy isn't getting it done until they're off the team.

mecha

Liked Posts:
the Mel Tucker hire, whoever was responsible for that, is what tanked those defenses. talent may have been old, but they didn't suck. just a year prior they were a high ranking defense, were they not? I don't think it all falls apart in a season. it was just a bullshit scheme under a pussy nerd coach. they just simply didn't want to play anymore. maybe they were cunting about Lovie getting the axe, but the team wasn't moving with him still here. I just realized they went 10-6 in 2012 and still finished 3rd in the division. people need to stfu about "oh no why did they fire him after they went 10-6???////"

that said, everyone was talking that moneyball bullshit when Emery was GM, and that got a little aggravating. Shea was a massive reach, but he actually drafted some players that worked out. I thought he was an upgrade over Angelo at least. anyone still yammering that Ryan Pace is a dicklicker is an ignorant twat.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
It goes back to Jerry Angelo's absolute shit drafting. Sure, there were several 30 year olds still playing good, but besides Forte, not one young guy to build off of on either side of the ball when Emery took over. Emery tried to build the offense with misfits, chose the wrong QB and let the defense sink into oblivion while forcing Mel Tucker into keeping Lovie's scheme.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I knew a lot of fans who thought Emery was a good GM and were surprised when he got fired. Kinda like Pace the defense was always, "He's cleaning up Lovie & Angelo's mess." Some fans will not admit a guy isn't getting it done until they're off the team.

I think a lot of fans have a wait and see attitude until enough info is in, giving a hire we actually know little about enough rope to hang himself. Trestman's 2nd year cluster fuck had almost the entire fanbase wanting a change from GM down.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Well, you did have a few of the “Snail’s Pace” posters who clearly didn’t get it. You also had a bunch of others who thought it would take longer. I think sometimes it takes time to look back on a team to really evaluate the team. Emery wasn’t very good. Looks like Pace is, so maybe we can look forward to success and stability.

Naf

Liked Posts:
the Mel Tucker hire, whoever was responsible for that, is what tanked those defenses. talent may have been old, but they didn't suck. just a year prior they were a high ranking defense, were they not? I don't think it all falls apart in a season. it was just a bullshit scheme under a pussy nerd coach. they just simply didn't want to play anymore. maybe they were cunting about Lovie getting the axe, but the team wasn't moving with him still here. I just realized they went 10-6 in 2012 and still finished 3rd in the division. people need to stfu about "oh no why did they fire him after they went 10-6???////"

that said, everyone was talking that moneyball bullshit when Emery was GM, and that got a little aggravating. Shea was a massive reach, but he actually drafted some players that worked out. I thought he was an upgrade over Angelo at least. anyone still yammering that Ryan Pace is a dicklicker is an ignorant twat.

Losing Urlacher was a huge deal. He was slow but he always had everyone in position.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It goes back to Jerry Angelo's absolute shit drafting.

Meh.

Outside of being dumb enough to blow a first round pick on Chris Williams...Jerry Angelo was a good Draft Day GM. Too many people just want to focus on the Twilight Years where he had already traded away all of his decent picks and even then came away with some gems like Johnny Knox and Corey Graham.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

Shocking to learn that a DC inheriting a defense that ranked 30th and 31st in points allowed over the past two seasons would say they weren't talented.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Amazing that some of the posters here didn't realize it would take Pace 3+ years to get this team back to playoff contention. (although drafting a WR at 7 doesn't help)

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Meh.

Outside of being dumb enough to blow a first round pick on Chris Williams...Jerry Angelo was a good Draft Day GM. Too many people just want to focus on the Twilight Years where he had already traded away all of his decent picks and even then came away with some gems like Johnny Knox and Corey Graham.

By the time Angelo left, his drafting was garbage. The first half of his tenure, he was excellent at it. Somewhere along the way, he slowly turned into a terrible draft GM

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
By the time Angelo left, his drafting was garbage. The first half of his tenure, he was excellent at it. Somewhere along the way, he slowly turned into a terrible draft GM

Probably when the Bears stopped drafting in the top part of the 1st round because they were actually winning games and playing in the postseason. Same thing will probably happen to Pace.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Amazing that some of the posters here didn't realize it would take Pace 3+ years to get this team back to playoff contention. (although drafting a WR at 7 doesn't help)

If I remember it was a toss up between White and Cooper, had Cooper been the pick, probably no Arob.

BBBF

Liked Posts:
the Mel Tucker hire, whoever was responsible for that, is what tanked those defenses. talent may have been old, but they didn't suck. just a year prior they were a high ranking defense, were they not? I don't think it all falls apart in a season. i.

Teams fall apart mid-season all the time when a star player goes down and there is zero depth to step up. You let Urlacher go and Briggs stops caring, that is a big drop off. And it was more than just football knowledge/skill on the field. It also had a multiplying effect in the locker room because they lost a team leader and gained a malcontent.

And also Mel Tucker sucked. Tha can't be ignored.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Probably when the Bears stopped drafting in the top part of the 1st round because they were actually winning games and playing in the postseason. Same thing will probably happen to Pace.

Yes, combined with giving up 1st round picks for Cutler, then drafting offensive linemen that were immediately or already injured.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
If I remember it was a toss up between White and Cooper, had Cooper been the pick, probably no Arob.

Cooper was way better as a prospect, but he was taken before White, so I don't think you can fault Pace.

Getting a few years to look back on that 2015 NFL draft, it was really a terrible group of players. I've blasted Pace for his drafting that year, especially on Grasu and White, but there were so many bad players.

Obviously you have Winston and Mariotta as your QBs, which isn't much. Your best players are Gurley, Cooper, then probably two DBs in Landon Collins and Marcus Peters. Vic Beasley had a big year then flamed out. Stefon Diggs and Melvin Gordon are consistent contributors, but hardly any elite players. When Andrus Peat is one of the top players in your draft class, you know its bad.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Not sure how this applies to such great players such as Dan Bazuin, Garret Wolfe, Michael Okwo, Harrison, Paea, and the like. Drafting later in the first does increase the difficulty but let's face it, by the time he left, he had a string of incredibly bad to mediocre drafts. Not uncommon among GM's though--Ted Thompson is another GM that was great at it and then fell apart.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Not sure how this applies to such great players such as Dan Bazuin, Garret Wolfe, Michael Okwo, Harrison, Paea, and the like. Drafting later in the first does increase the difficulty but let's face it, by the time he left, he had a string of incredibly bad to mediocre drafts. Not uncommon among GM's though--Ted Thompson is another GM that was great at it and then fell apart.

Not disagreeing...the magic disappeared. It happens. It happens faster when you aren't picking in the top 10.