OT: Machado signs with Padres

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Lol No team would ever get a 5 year opt out to let go of a player anywhere near Machado caliber or probably in general.

they claimed on the score this morning that they did have two team options for Machado in the sox offer at 35 million per that took the total to 320. So apparently, they missed out for 20 million over just because they wanted the right to make sure he still had 550 plate appearances in the prior year.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I keep seeing writers refer to Machado contract as the largest in American sports history. How are they coming up with that? If they are talking total money and years then Stanton eclipsed that with 13 year $325 million. If they are talking annual value of the contract then greinke eclipsed it in baseball and players in the NBA and NFL have higher annual values. In what sense is 10 years $300 million the biggest contract in American sports history?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I keep seeing writers refer to Machado contract as the largest in American sports history. How are they coming up with that? If they are talking total money and years then Stanton eclipsed that with 13 year $325 million. If they are talking annual value of the contract then greinke eclipsed it in baseball and players in the NBA and NFL have higher annual values. In what sense is 10 years $300 million the biggest contract in American sports history?

Stanton's was an extension not a FA contract

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I still have a hard time accepting these guaranteed salaries. You're just so fucked if these deals don't work out.