Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pitchtrax says it was only a 14k game.
debbie-e1449643647370-696x391.jpg

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I'll never forget it. Best stuff I've ever seen.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I remember coming home from school and watching it as a fourth grader. Guy was just dominant. Oh, what could have been with him & Prior.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember coming home from school and watching it as a fourth grader. Guy was just dominant. Oh, what could have been with him & Prior.

Yep, same. I was in 7th or 8th grade though. I remember seeing the 7th, 8th, and 9th. It was a nasty day.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Over played topic. Was worthy on the 20 anniversary. Feels a bit watered down now.

This just makes the team feel like other loser teams pining on a individual achievement during a era of bad teams. I mark this up with Sosa's HR string and losing to Miami in 2003.

To me 2016 rewote the book. We don't need to be like the Padre's talking about some personal achievement because the team is not note worthy.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Can't tell you how sick I got with the Tony Gwinn mantra out here over the years. God worship stuff

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Over played topic. Was worthy on the 20 anniversary. Feels a bit watered down now.

This just makes the team feel like other loser teams pining on a individual achievement during a era of bad teams. I mark this up with Sosa's HR string and losing to Miami in 2003.

To me 2016 rewote the book. We don't need to be like the Padre's talking about some personal achievement because the team is not note worthy.

Not at all. It's one of the greatest moments in baseball history. This has nothing to do with the team as a franchise. I think you missed the point entirely.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not at all. It's one of the greatest moments in baseball history. This has nothing to do with the team as a franchise. I think you missed the point entirely.

No. It is over played. Randy Johnson had a few great games like that. He is not over glorified over them. He is known as many things when looked back on.

I just see this as a potentially great pitcher that got wracked with injury. Basically Milt Papas of the 90's.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
No. It is over played. Randy Johnson had a few great games like that. He is not over glorified over them. He is known as many things when looked back on.

I just see this as a potentially great pitcher that got wracked with injury. Basically Milt Papas of the 90's.

No one has ever had a higher game score for nine innings than Kerry.

( I find this funny that I as a Cub Hater am defending Kerry to a Cub Fan)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
No one has ever had a higher game score for nine innings than Kerry.

( I find this funny that I as a Cub Hater am defending Kerry to a Cub Fan)

You are missing the point here.

This is more about making 1 game being the only thing that matters about a person.

Ala Milt Papas. missed a no perfect game and gets a no hit and Cubs fans make him into a idol because the Cubs sucked for years and they had to place importance on trivial topics in history over enjoying what is in front of their eyes.

Sure there is a time and place for it. 20th was fine. Playing it every year well that is BS. Just fan boi crap. I don't see any Z no hit anniversaries. Oh that is right beat up a few Gatorade machines on the way. Or slamming Sosa 3x 66HR feat....oh ya roids... Again more of the same stuff.

Kerry had a great game. But that should be kept in context. That game was his career. And that doesn't justify making him a icon.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
You are missing the point here.

This is more about making 1 game being the only thing that matters about a person.

Ala Milt Papas. missed a no perfect game and gets a no hit and Cubs fans make him into a idol because the Cubs sucked for years and they had to place importance on trivial topics in history over enjoying what is in front of their eyes.

Sure there is a time and place for it. 20th was fine. Playing it every year well that is BS. Just fan boi crap. I don't see any Z no hit anniversaries. Oh that is right beat up a few Gatorade machines on the way. Or slamming Sosa 3x 66HR feat....oh ya roids... Again more of the same stuff.

Kerry had a great game. But that should be kept in context. That game was his career. And that doesn't justify making him a icon.

That was his best game, but no, that was not his career. That was no single throw by a Randall Cunningham. Kerry's much more. His battling with injuries. Re-inventing as a closer. His leadership to the club. His outraech to the community. I am ok to disagree here.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That was his best game, but no, that was not his career. That was no single throw by a Randall Cunningham. Kerry's much more. His battling with injuries. Re-inventing as a closer. His leadership to the club. His outraech to the community. I am ok to disagree here.

I tend to like him as a ambassador to the community.

The single greatest Cub is Banks.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Him or Harry

Kerry.

If Sammy was clean when he did what he did here he deserved better acclamation as a Cub.

Zambrano was a better Cub. Numbers prove it. But after beating up a few Gaterade and catchers well...

Maddux could have been the best Cub of all time if the Trib didn't go out of their way to destroy everything Green did.

Grace another great Cub that ended up going on to Arizona. Well and etc.

So I really see this as a forced presentation of fan favorite. Wood likeable. Dempster ditto. Really not even Avg Cubs. Dawson and Sandberg. Earned their right with Williams. Smith now but he really wasn't a Cub long enough IMO.

They just promote this guy because it is a easier flavor to swallow. Even Dempster.. his jokes are meh.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Too bad he never listened to Steve Stone