from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trade Quentin for a more contact hitter

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Juan Pierre will get caught stealing? Duh.. and the grass is green. I think we all know this.

Adam Dunn will strike out? Once again, duh. And for people to think this is a horrible thing don't pay attention to baseball. If my slow DH is going to get an out, especially with men on base, I would rather him strike out then ground in double plays. His power and OBP heavily outweigh strikeouts and as mentioned above, strike outs are a better "out" then most other "outs."

Carlos Quentin was an anomaly in 2008? This statement doesn't offend me in the slightest, but I will disagree, if he can stay healthy. He has had one season where he was healthy for an extended period of time. That was 2008. Every other season he is either flat-out injured 2-3 times during the year or has nagging injuries for an extended period of time. So, if you want to say he is injury-prone or isn't consistant when he is playing in a season when he is often injured, then I would agree. But if he stays healthy, he hits like 2008.

The players on the field are going to make errors? That is just making excuses for the unbelievably bad errors in key situations that have cost them games that they have made this year. Pierre, Morel and Ramirez have all made costly errors that have contributed to key losses this year. And we are less then 20 games in to a season. That is above and beyond your normal allotment of errors. If you think those key errors this year is "just part of the game," then I will once again have to disagree with you.

Last year was a contract year for Konerko, this year isn't - see #5? This is the worst one. Wonderful explaination to back this asnign claim with. Konerko is off to a great start and is a veteran who knows what it takes to hit. What in his preparation or his on-the-field performance this year has he done to show this to be true? And to compare him to the often-injured Quentin? Konerko knows how to hit and knows how to prepare himself. That doesn't just go away because he signed a nice contract in the off-season. This was a huge reach and I would be shocked if you actually had any evidence to prove this statement.

We have a closer... Sergio Santos? While I agree with you that I would LOVE to see him given a few shots at this role, how can you make this blanket statement as if it is fact. The kid is playing as a pitcher, let alone a reliever, for the second year of his life. He was a position player beforehand. To just say that HE IS the closer is stupid. Perhaps you meant, he SHOULD BE given a shot at the role.

With all of that said, I totally appreciate that you are writing articles about the Sox! And just because my opinion is very different from yours doesn't make me right, at all! I just think most of those statements have no truth to them.. and if they do, I wouldn't mind seeing some actual evidence to convince me of your opinion. This just reads like a Tribune article made play on sensationalism to get a rise and a reaction out of people. aka, a David Hugh story.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I disagree with assesment of the twins. the losses in the offseason were huge, now the broken leg of their supposed awesome infielder, mauer to the DL, and now nathan losing his job to matt capps.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Sox will come around. They always play bad in April. You'd think a team in a cold-weather city like Chicago would do well playing in the elements, but that's not the case for our guys. Playing indoors in Tampa against a poor Rays team will hopefully kick-start our entire team.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Sox will come around. They always play bad in April. You'd think a team in a cold-weather city like Chicago would do well playing in the elements, but that's not the case for our guys. Playing indoors in Tampa against a poor Rays team will hopefully kick-start our entire team.

its crazy that as soon as the weather turned so did the teams play

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
its crazy that as soon as the weather turned so did the teams play

Definitely. We can only hope for the same occurrence this year only with a better lineup, the results could be through the roof! Here's hoping.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
still dreading the 11 games in 11 days road trip

but i do think they need to get out of the cell for a bit

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe Rios will find a little thing called 'power'.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:

I think that may be the best thing for them right now. A change of scenery and weather could turn things around.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:

yeah its gonna be grueling, but i would love to play everyday if i was a major leaguer, they just had 10 games at home, if im not mistaken, might do em good, to quote willie nelson, "I cant wait to get on the road again" lol

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
yeah its gonna be grueling, but i would love to play everyday if i was a major leaguer, they just had 10 games at home, if im not mistaken, might do em good, to quote willie nelson, "I cant wait to get on the road again" lol

It takes its toll on you, trust me. I love the game though. I would give anything to play again, but that's not in the cards. Anyway, the Sox should come out hungry after the sweep and look to take it out on Tampa.

ChiSportsRich

Liked Posts:
Juan Pierre will get caught stealing? Duh.. and the grass is green. I think we all know this.

Adam Dunn will strike out? Once again, duh. And for people to think this is a horrible thing don't pay attention to baseball. If my slow DH is going to get an out, especially with men on base, I would rather him strike out then ground in double plays. His power and OBP heavily outweigh strikeouts and as mentioned above, strike outs are a better "out" then most other "outs."

This was written as something for Sox Fans to keep in mind. everybody knows that Pierre is going to get caught stealing, but this was reminding Sox Fans that he was because on the P&H Facebook page people tend to get all up in arms when he gets caught also the same goes for Dunns K's

Carlos Quentin was an anomaly in 2008? This statement doesn't offend me in the slightest, but I will disagree, if he can stay healthy. He has had one season where he was healthy for an extended period of time. That was 2008. Every other season he is either flat-out injured 2-3 times during the year or has nagging injuries for an extended period of time. So, if you want to say he is injury-prone or isn't consistant when he is playing in a season when he is often injured, then I would agree. But if he stays healthy, he hits like 2008.

"until he proves otherwise, its true" other than 2008 hes shown himself to be an injury prone player that will hit .250 and 25 bombs. therefore 2008 was an anomaly, not the norm.

The players on the field are going to make errors? That is just making excuses for the unbelievably bad errors in key situations that have cost them games that they have made this year. Pierre, Morel and Ramirez have all made costly errors that have contributed to key losses this year. And we are less then 20 games in to a season. That is above and beyond your normal allotment of errors. If you think those key errors this year is "just part of the game," then I will once again have to disagree with you.

Bad errors and costly errors but they happen. Everything evens out in 162 games. We know that Rios doesnt typically make bad throws and that ball that Pierre missed was a tough catch and Morel will be fine, growing pains. All in all the players on the field will make errors, I think we all know that very seldom do players go full seasons errorless

Last year was a contract year for Konerko, this year isn't - see #5? This is the worst one. Wonderful explaination to back this asnign claim with. Konerko is off to a great start and is a veteran who knows what it takes to hit. What in his preparation or his on-the-field performance this year has he done to show this to be true? And to compare him to the often-injured Quentin? Konerko knows how to hit and knows how to prepare himself. That doesn't just go away because he signed a nice contract in the off-season. This was a huge reach and I would be shocked if you actually had any evidence to prove this statement.

Have you looked at PK's career averages? His Career BA .281, Last year .312. Averages 32 HR, last year 39. Career avg RBI 102, last year 111. Baseball Players typically dont hit above career averages at 35 years old. he tied or beat most of his career highs last year, to expect that again would be Irrational

We have a closer... Sergio Santos? While I agree with you that I would LOVE to see him given a few shots at this role, how can you make this blanket statement as if it is fact. The kid is playing as a pitcher, let alone a reliever, for the second year of his life. He was a position player beforehand. To just say that HE IS the closer is stupid. Perhaps you meant, he SHOULD BE given a shot at the role.

He really is the only option, but yes he should be given the shot

With all of that said, I totally appreciate that you are writing articles about the Sox! And just because my opinion is very different from yours doesn't make me right, at all! I just think most of those statements have no truth to them.. and if they do, I wouldn't mind seeing some actual evidence to convince me of your opinion. This just reads like a Tribune article made play on sensationalism to get a rise and a reaction out of people. aka, a David Hugh story.

That being said, I'm a Sun-Times kind of guy

Last edited:

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This was written as something for Sox Fans to keep in mind. everybody knows that Pierre is going to get caught stealing, but this was reminding Sox Fans that he was because on the P&H Facebook page people tend to get all up in arms when he gets caught also the same goes for Dunns K's

- Those aren't fans. Those are reactionary fools who get pissed when someone strikes out. If we want to critique Juan's game, let's look at his stellar defense or his amazing batting prowess. /sarcasm

"until he proves otherwise, its true" other than 2008 hes shown himself to be an injury prone player that will hit .250 and 25 bombs. therefore 2008 was an anomaly, not the norm.

- I can agree with that, but if you are going to write something and then link it here, explain yourself. He is an anomaly.... because of his injuries, not because of his talent. Otherwise, blanket statement.

Have you looked at PK's career averages? His Career BA .281, Last year .312. Averages 32 HR, last year 39. Career avg RBI 102, last year 111. Baseball Players typically dont hit above career averages at 35 years old. he tied or beat most of his career highs last year, to expect that again would be Irrational

- Another blanket statement. It couldn't be because he has completely become an expert at situational hitting, learning when to cut it loose with no one on base, knowing when to walk, in turn raising his OBP. And btw, you aren't talking about a giant increase in HRs or RBIs from one season. That's why it's an average. His LOWS contribute to that average stat. He is also potentially hitting in a better lineup, with a power hitter with a track record of having a .400 OBP hitting in front of him. If you remember, he hit in front of Thome while he was here, another .400 OBP hitter. So actually, I expect his RBIs to be higher this year. Irrational? Rofl, good one.

He really is the only option, but yes he should be given the shot

- Actually, at this point, no. He isn't the only option. Considering Ozzie will use Thornton again, Sales is an option and Crain may do some situational 9th inning work, I wouldn't say that Santos is the only option. Don't get me wrong, I also want Santos to be given "the shot" at the closer role, but if you are going to write shit and then post it here to be read and analyzed, then by all means do more then say "He really is the only option." Weaksauce.

That being said, I'm a Sun-Times kind of guy

That's cool, there are a lot of sensational writers for every major news source and even the minor ones! If ya didn't get the jist, well, you might just fit in with one of those major news sources!

GaelicSoxFan

Time Lord
Donator
Liked Posts:
#10: I know you can't win a division (or wild card) in April, but you're not improving your chances later in the season with early losses.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
#10: I know you can't win a division (or wild card) in April, but you're not improving your chances later in the season with early losses.

Absolutely right. It's been said time and again that games in April have the same significance as those in August/September. Have to win to contend.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
just stay within a few games of cleveland who will come down to earth, and try to seperate yourself from the ailing twins and the tigers suckfest

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
just stay within a few games of cleveland who will come down to earth, and try to seperate yourself from the ailing twins and the tigers suckfest

We'll have a terrific shot this weekend going against Detroit. If we can get to Verlander and produce some runs in the other two games, we should have a decent shot at a sweep. But one game at a time right now. Let's focus on Tampa tonight.