Starlin Castro

nrthsidrfan

Liked Posts:
Age should have nothing to do with it. If you're ready to face major league talent then you have no reason to face inferior AA talent every day. Players don't grow that way. I'm Not saying he's ready or isn't because I'm not a talent scout and I don't watch him play everyday. I am though saying from video I've seen that he is NOT Felix Pie or Corey Patterson.
Either way, he'll be a meaningful part of this team in 2010; and the fact that he's 20 has absolutely NO bearing on that.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Age should have nothing to do with it. If you're ready to face major league talent then you have no reason to face inferior AA talent every day. Players don't grow that way. I'm Not saying he's ready or isn't because I'm not a talent scout and I don't watch him play everyday. I am though saying from video I've seen that he is NOT Felix Pie or Corey Patterson.
Either way, he'll be a meaningful part of this team in 2010; and the fact that he's 20 has absolutely NO bearing on that.

Of COURSE his age has something to do with it, but that "something" may not be his readiness to face major league pitching.

An MLB player is eligible for salary arbitration if he has been on an MLB roster for 3 years (along with other requirements). That means that if Castro is called up now, he will be eligible for arbitration starting in 2013, a year in which they already are on the hook for one player and $13 million, have 11 players on the current roster that will be eligible for free agency and 4 players entering at least their second arbitration year.

So there's going to be a lot of money heading out the door if the Cubs wish to keep even some of their current players on the roster, and that's assuming they don't offer the arb-eligible players extensions.

Assuming Castro will come up and be a star on the team, why would the Cubs be in a hurry to expose him to an arbitration hearing when they already going to have to spend so much money to field a competitive team? And if Castro comes up and is really as good as people hope, there's a chance he will be arb-eligible in 2012 as a Super Two, which would only add to the Cubs' money woes.

If the current team is struggling (it is), and making the playoffs would probably only be begotten on the good graces of luck in the division and the NL at-large, why bring up a potential superstar just to expose him to arbitration at 23 (22 at the earliest) and free agency at 26?

CBPtOSU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who cares about that stuff? If you bring him up at the end of May, you don't need to worry about super-2. I would say give him a shot in the majors, if he is struggling, send him down to AAA for a while

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Who cares about that stuff? If you bring him up at the end of May, you don't need to worry about super-2. I would say give him a shot in the majors, if he is struggling, send him down to AAA for a while

That's not necessarily true. While keeping a player in the minors for the first few weeks of the season puts off the normal 3-year arbitration mark, players that are withheld in this manner almost always become Super Two's. The CBA states that the player must have at least two years of ML service time and played at least 86 games in the previous season. This isn't read as "two years and 86 days in the majors" but rather "two years' service time, and at least 86 days in the previous season". So, in reality, Castro could still easily be a Super Two by the end of 2012.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's not necessarily true. While keeping a player in the minors for the first few weeks of the season puts off the normal 3-year arbitration mark, players that are withheld in this manner almost always become Super Two's. The CBA states that the player must have at least two years of ML service time and played at least 86 games in the previous season. This isn't read as "two years and 86 days in the majors" but rather "two years' service time, and at least 86 days in the previous season". So, in reality, Castro could still easily be a Super Two by the end of 2012.
+1
There's no need to rush him. Delay his arbitration clock and let him keep developing. IMO if the Cubs need a middle infielder, Darwin Barney will be the one they'll call up, not Castro.

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
The problem with calling him up though is if he doesn't hit, makes a couple of errors etc and gets sent back down what does that do for his confidence? We have seen the same thing time and time again, most recently with Felix Pie. Before him Corey Patterson. Back in the early 90's it was Gary Scott. Everyone is chomping at the bit to get him up but don't worry about the repercussions. Give him a September call up and see how he does. There is no need to rush him at this point. And I'm not even worried about the arbitration pay or when he will hit free agency. It's just stupid at this point. He is not going to change the season around for us. Give him the full year at AA/AAA and go from there.

nrthsidrfan

Liked Posts:
An MLB player is eligible for salary arbitration if he has been on an MLB roster for 3 years (along with other requirements). That means that if Castro is called up now, he will be eligible for arbitration starting in 2013, a year in which they already are on the hook for one player and $13 million, have 11 players on the current roster that will be eligible for free agency and 4 players entering at least their second arbitration year.

I hear ya, and I fully understand the arbitration issue. Randy Bush is down there right now scouting his "readiness". I'm assuming that means that if he is deemed mlb "ready" that he'll be brought up after the magical arbitration deadline. (which is in a little over 4 weeks if I'm not mistaken?)

nrthsidrfan

Liked Posts:
We have seen the same thing time and time again, most recently with Felix Pie. Before him Corey Patterson.

Being a prospect does NOT make him comparable in any way shape or form to these busts. He's more polished TODAY than they have been in their mlb time.

He is not going to change the season around for us.

I remember a young Miguel Cabrera becoming the spark plug of the 2003 Marlins when he was brought up at the end of June. They were close to having the pieces of a playoff team and all it took was a young prospect to put them over the top. (Not saying that Castro is going to be the team's savior...just saying that he might be enough to put this team over the top.)

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
A recent report says that he will be up between a week from now and a month from now. They are apparently planning to start him 5-6 games a week.

They will have to get rid of Fontenot, Baker, or Tracy with Theriot moving to second.

Fontenot, is a lefty who happens to be hitting quite well, Baker is out of option, and Tracy sucks, so I think Tracy is the odd man out.

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
Baker would be out. We wouldn't need Baker with Tracy able to spell 3rd and first. Fontenot could spell short and second. I just don't see that happening. Do you have a source?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I have to find the source again, a blog had a link to the source. And Baker would be 2nd and 3rd, Nady 1st, Tracy wouldn't be needed. (That's what the source has as most likely to happen). I'll post it in a minute when I find it again.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Bruce Levine reported it, but I read it on Cubbies Crib.

CBPtOSU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember a young Miguel Cabrera becoming the spark plug of the 2003 Marlins when he was brought up at the end of June. They were close to having the pieces of a playoff team and all it took was a young prospect to put them over the top. (Not saying that Castro is going to be the team's savior...just saying that he might be enough to put this team over the top.)

I thought Cabrera was called up because Lowell broke his hand and because he was playing so good for the MLB that when Lowell came back they decided to keep him?

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Cubs are merely keeping Starlin Castro in AAA for arbitration issues. If he comes up before June 1st, it will be 1 year of service...if he comes up after June 1st, they won't call it his rookie season unless he meets an innings played quota...

CBPtOSU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs are merely keeping Starlin Castro in AAA for arbitration issues. If he comes up before June 1st, it will be 1 year of service...if he comes up after June 1st, they won't call it his rookie season unless he meets an innings played quota...

That's for the award. Super-2 is based on service time, and it is based on service time compared to your peers. Usually around June 1, you won't be a Super-2

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

AA actually

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will sig bet anyone here that the only major league action Castro sees is a September call up.