OT: Cespedes To Sign With A's

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
ya...oakland promising to put cespedes right in the majors is risky(for one thing, it may stunt his development)

but it also gives them leverage since no other team will realistically offer him that

Honestly I dont think he would of minded spending a few months in the minor if the price was right. I still think if the Marlins Soxs or Tigers offer 4yrs and a comparable amount of $$ he goes to them.

To me this was all about the money but you cant blame the kid he has been broke and in a terrible place his whole life I would of done the same thing and took the most $$

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Honestly I dont think he would of minded spending a few months in the minor if the price was right. I still think if the Marlins Soxs or Tigers offer 4yrs and a comparable amount of $$ he goes to them.

To me this was all about the money but you cant blame the kid he has been broke and in a terrible place his whole life I would of done the same thing and took the most $$

maybe maybe not...i guess oakland was opportunistic but i also think the offer of going straight to the majors factored into his decision

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's JoeCawks who's always trying to troll in here.. Just my way of bringing up how good KW is. Just for his re-assurance.

Theo 2
KW 1

inheriting a 90 plus win team
having much more money to spend

chicago baseball championships other than back before the 1920s.

sox 1
cubs 0

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
6 years and 36 million seems good for me. It wasn't a bad offer.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well it is nice to know somewhat officially that the Cubs were runnerups in the Cespedes sweepstakes. Bottomline Oakland was willing to offer Cespedes free agency after 4 years which no other team was, and that is why he is in Oakland today.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
A's are making Cespedes the starting CF with Coco Crisp shifting to LF.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A's are making Cespedes the starting CF with Coco Crisp shifting to LF.

well since they are paying him, and the A's are blah, might as well see what he can do. Could it hurt his development? maybe.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fun with early stats:
Cubs 7 HRs
Cespedes 5 HRs

I agree with not giving him the four year deal til free agency, but man it is looking like he is the real deal early.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fun with early stats:
Cubs 7 HRs
Cespedes 5 HRs

I agree with not giving him the four year deal til free agency, but man it is looking like he is the real deal early.

He is raking, but I think Soler will be a better player long-term.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is raking, but I think Soler will be a better player long-term.

I certainly wouldn't mind Soler as a consolation prize. Hopefully he gets residency soon because if it happens after July 2nd the new CBA rules about international spending kicks in which would really compromise the Cubs position in landing him.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
So glad I took late in the CCS league.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I forget who, but somebody hit a rocket out to CF. Cespedes ran around 180 ft., had it glance off his glove, ran into the wall, picked up the ball on one bounce and fired a strike to the cutoff man in one fluid motion.

It was impressive, the man has range and he has a gun out in CF. Scary good.