Phase 2 Of Cubs' Rebuilding Could Start In June

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'm excited to see what kind of moves could be in store. Soto, Soriano, Dempster, Garza and Marmol could all be dealt before the deadline. That's a surefire way to get some talent infused to the minors, as well as clear salaries to make room for some free agent signings.

I really liked the Byrd trade -- paying his pro-rated salary to acquire Michael Bowden and another guy. Hopefully the change of scenery will help out both guys.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs are paying all of Byrd's contract.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs are paying all of Byrd's contract.

I think the Cubs are paying virtually all of Byrd's salary. Can't remember where I read it as speculated that all but 600k was going to be paid by the Cubs, and that could be either looked at as the amount the Cubs wouldn't have had to pay if they released Byrd or the amount Bowden was going to get. I don't think we know the amount yet.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, the Cubs will pay all of Byrd's salary, besides the pro rate mininum. I saw the Red Sox will only pay 400K.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
It's going to be an interesting trade deadline for us none the less... I wish we could unload Garza for top prospects some how.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's going to be an interesting trade deadline for us none the less... I wish we could unload Garza for top prospects some how.

Oh the Cubs will have no problem finding teams that want Garza, and if he keeps pitching this well it is going to become harder to give him up.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The alternative as suggested by some folks I converse with is that they let Garza walk at the end of his arbitration years and pocket a draft pick.