Corey Crawford Has To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChitwnRyan60452

@Chitown_Ryan
Liked Posts:
What is the Restrictied Free agency situation in the NHL? Is it similar to the NFL? Ive heard that Corey Schneider is RFA at the end of the year? Any chance? That would be soooo sweet...

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
What is the Restrictied Free agency situation in the NHL? Is it similar to the NFL? Ive heard that Corey Schneider is RFA at the end of the year? Any chance? That would be soooo sweet...

Basically you can sign an RFA and the team has a chance to match. If they do not match, the team that signed the RFA would have to pay them compensation in draft picks based on the annual cap hit.

Signing a RFA in the NHL (that isn't currently on your team) is never a good idea in my eyes. Usually two things will happen...

1. You sign the player to a cap friendly contract at the current team matches, which means you basically just did them a favor.
2. You sign the player to a higher cap hit than he is worth, which means you are going to have a bad contract on your hands (most likely) and have to pay more compensation than the player is probably worth.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Basically you can sign an RFA and the team has a chance to match. If they do not match, the team that signed the RFA would have to pay them compensation in draft picks based on the annual cap hit.

Signing a RFA in the NHL (that isn't currently on your team) is never a good idea in my eyes. Usually two things will happen...

1. You sign the player to a cap friendly contract at the current team matches, which means you basically just did them a favor.
2. You sign the player to a higher cap hit than he is worth, which means you are going to have a bad contract on your hands (most likely) and have to pay more compensation than the player is probably worth.

On the other hand....a team like Vancouver that already is stuck with a bad contract at that same position could really be put up against it with the right offer sheet tossed out there. No way can they pay them both....
unfortunately, I don't see the Hawks being the team making the bid. they have their own cap headaches.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
On the other hand....a team like Vancouver that already is stuck with a bad contract at that same position could really be put up against it with the right offer sheet tossed out there. No way can they pay them both....
unfortunately, I don't see the Hawks being the team making the bid. they have their own cap headaches.

Agreed on that front.

However, it seems that I am one of the few people that thing Luongo can be traded pretty easily. If Campbell and Gomez can be traded, so can Luongo who was a Vezina Candidate just one year ago. Also, the new CBA (hopefully if there is one) might allow teams to get out of certain contracts or trade money/cap hit.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Crawford had a real chance to cement himself as a franchise goalie this year, but he didn't do it.

But I'm still not so quick to give up on a relatively young goalie who's one year removed from a damn good rookie season in the pros.

After one year, he looked like he could be "the guy", and was paid accordingly. After this year, that philosophy took a huge hit.

But why is everyone so quick to give up after one good year and one bad year?

Bring in some competition if you can find it, for sure. Although, with Emery already locked in for next year, I don't know how that's going to work. If a real, real good trade option emerges, I wouldn't be against them pulling the trigger.

But he's only going to be 28 next year. I'm not declaring him a lost cause yet.

And for those calling for a trade: keep in mind that with the CBA uncertainty there's a chance the salary cap could shrink for next season. Trading for an expensive goalie could lead to a lack of funds for filling other glaring holes?

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wasn't a fan of the contract the Hawks offered him when they signed him; I don't see the organization giving up on him this summer.

If he struggles next year, maybe look at a trade deadline acquisition.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I wasn't a fan of the contract the Hawks offered him when they signed him; I don't see the organization giving up on him this summer.

If he struggles next year, maybe look at a trade deadline acquisition.

A very good point. They made the playoffs this year almost in spite of their goaltending. I think they could do the same next year. If Crawford struggles again in the regular season, the deadline could bring the relief they need.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Crawford had a real chance to cement himself as a franchise goalie this year, but he didn't do it.

But I'm still not so quick to give up on a relatively young goalie who's one year removed from a damn good rookie season in the pros.

After one year, he looked like he could be "the guy", and was paid accordingly. After this year, that philosophy took a huge hit.

Bring in some competition if you can find it, for sure. Although, with Emery already locked in for next year, I don't know how that's going to work. If a real, real good trade option emerges, I wouldn't be against them pulling the trigger.

But he's only going to be 28 next year. I'm not declaring him a lost cause yet.

And for those calling for a trade: keep in mind that with the CBA uncertainty there's a chance the salary cap could shrink for next season. Trading for an expensive goalie could lead to a lack of funds for filling other glaring holes?

This is an excellent point. Its exactly what got the Hawks in trouble and contibuted to getting Tallon fired. Too damn much money spent on goaltending and to make it worse...it was BAD goaltending.

Everyday I'm Byfuglien

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

2 reasons, right or wrong.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt-2dfwbs3I]Mikkel Boedker OT Winner 4/17/12 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvoM-i1bxhE]Mikkel Boedker OT winner 4/19/12 - YouTube[/ame]

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
71 Finals Ugh...that was a bad one. I dont think even Huet ever gave one up that bad. That shot came from almost center ice...between the blue & red line and it wasnt one of those bouncers. It went in on the fly. I never did hear how Tony0 missed it.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
not a big fan of just going with crawford, then relying on the trade deadline to help us...we needed a 2nd line center and bowman didnt deliver at the deadline

not really feeling rolling the dice

LonghornBob

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We got away with mediocre netminding for a while because we had Ladd, Byflugien, Versteeg, Bolland, Kane, Toews, and Hossa CONSTANTLY controlling the puck and we were scoring all the time. We'd take 45 shots and give up 15. These days we aren't doing that and we need someone SERIOUS behind the mask.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hawks barely had traffic in front of Mike Smith.

They have no net presence whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.