Bring back Tommie Harris?

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
I say NO, but Dan Pompei says yes.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-spt-0509-pompei-bears-harris-chicago--20120509,0,6970625.column

Time to bring Tommie Harris back
Veteran could be fourth defensive tackle in a rotation

It was time when the Bears cut ties with Tommie Harris in February 2011.

Now, in May 2012, it could be time to bring Harris back.

Confused?

When the Bears cut Harris, he was the starting defensive tackle, the onetime centerpiece of the defense who was scheduled to make more than $5.3 million that season.

If they bring back Harris, they think he can be a fourth defensive tackle in a rotation for what passes for chump change in an NFL locker room.

Things have changed in a year.

Last season the Bears didn't need Harris. They replaced him with rookie Stephen Paea and veteran free agent Amobi Okoye.

But Okoye since has left for the Bucs, and Anthony Adams was cut. That leaves the Bears short at the position. They have only three defensive tackles they can count on — Henry Melton, Stephen Paea and Matt Toeaina.

Things have changed for Harris too.

He signed with the Colts last August but was cut before the season. He sat out the first three weeks of the season before the Chargers signed him as a replacement for injured players.

After the season his deal expired, and he has sat waiting by the phone. The Bears have talked about making that phone ring.

Understand something. The list of available defensive tackles was underwhelming the day free agency started. Now, it is beyond underwhelming.

Harris stands out as an interior pass rusher, as long as your expectations are reasonable. At 30, Harris is not going to be a dominating pass rusher who wreaks havoc down after down. But he can be an effective spot player.

He played in 13 games last season for the Chargers as a nickel rusher. He had three sacks, which is more than either Paea or Toeaina. According to Pro Football Focus, he had 10 quarterback pressures, which was four more than Toeaina, and five more than Paea.

STATS had Harris with three knockdowns, which was two fewer than Paea and as many as Toeaina.

Paea and Toeaina figure to be the Bears' second and third tackles behind Henry Melton. The Bears need to replace the 773 snaps than Okoye (615) and Adams (158) gave them last year.

Paea, the team's second-round pick in 2011, will be expected nearly to double his snaps in his second season. So the Bears will need another tackle to take 10 to 15 a game.

Harris played 259 snaps last season. He is at the stage of his career when fewer snaps could mean more production.

The reports I received from three front-office men on Harris' play last season were pretty positive. The bigger issue with him may be his ability to sustain his production and health over the course of 16 games.

"He could be productive in stretches," one personnel director said. "But he has degenerative knees. It will be a question as to whether or not he can get through a season."

Harris' knee and hamstring problems have changed him from the player the Bears drafted with the 14th overall pick in 2004. But he still has a quick first step that enables him to defeat a blocker a few times a game. That quality is not easy to find.

A team acquiring Harris has to have a specific role in mind.

"He needs to win early in the play," the personnel director said. "He doesn't have the explosion he once did to do it play in, play out. He gets overwhelmed in the power game."

Harris would be welcome in the Bears' locker room, which he left on good terms.

Coach Lovie Smith often has spoken fondly of Harris and traveled to New Orleans with many from the organization in February to be with him for the funeral of Harris' wife, Ashley, who died in February.

Harris needed the Bears that day. And the Bears need Harris now.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
How fascinating.

*insert willy wonka meme here*

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
For minimum, why not?

Need bodies on the DL.

MSOADE54

I ****ing love this chick
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears don't NEED him... :smh:

I LOVE Tommie, but he should never be in a Chicago uniform again.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
For minimum, why not?

Need bodies on the DL.

Then get a body that can actually play. I know daredevil stuntmen that stay healthier than Tommy. I also know old women at the DMV that move faster.

D-Fresh3

Liked Posts:
I got Tommies jersey after his rookie year, loved him while he stood out but the dude found the end of his rope early in his career. Why bring back washed up players, when we could have resigned one like Amobi Okoye...makes no sense...Sorry Tommie my vote is a no-go.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
No.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'd rather bring back Gaines Adams. Oh wait....

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
It's the right fit at the right time.

Had he not been so damn lazy on the knee rehab, he'd still be here.

Is he even working out?...haven't heard anything on him since the funeral.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
The Bears don't NEED him... :smh:

I LOVE Tommie, but he should never be in a Chicago uniform again.

We all know he quit, but everyone deserves at least 1 second chance in life.

thedude33

Liked Posts:
I think Tommie burned that bridge with his aloof behavior.

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
No way that happens. When lovie lets a defensive player go, they don't come back. There's other, better options at DT

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
No way that happens. When lovie lets a defensive player go, they don't come back. There's other, better options at DT
Chris Harris is now forever pissed at you....

So is Todd Johnson

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
As per YBR, Emery's pattern appears to be seeking younger guys that were basically pushed off their team due to injuries or drafting other players due to injuries, and what not. He's not going to pick up a dude that's been past his prime for years just he had some success with our team. Pompei is wrong on this one and it'd be a terrible move by Emery when there are indeed better options out there.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd rather bring back Gaines Adams. Oh wait....

that was fucked up...

anyways, i wouldnt hate it but i wouldnt like it. w/ all that's gone on in his life recently, added onto his health, i think it's time to call it quits. he was so dominating early on, & it's unfortunate, but it's a business.

R_Mac_1

Liked Posts:
I'd rather give some young guys a chance, and they'd be cheaper as well. I don't think Tommie could bring anything that some younger guys couldn't at this point in his career.