1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
It might be but it certainly doesn't help a guy by most accounts is only ready for a ball right now.

Ya, A ball is probably right about Cuban Junior Series level and a little below the National Series, so it is definitely the right level for him IMO.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. Jackson: Seemed almost certain before, then he struggled, turned it back on, but K's too much. ETA: September

2. Rizzo: He'll be up if not injured. ETA: July

3. Soler: ETA: Mid-2015

I have yet to find confrimation anywhere, but my understanding of how options work would point to Soler having to be able to stick on the major league roster by 2015. He is going to be optioned the moment he is signed in 2012 (1). He won't be ready 2013 (2), and 2014 (3). To send him down in 2015 they would have to expose him to waivers if I am right.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I have yet to find confrimation anywhere, but my understanding of how options work would point to Soler having to be able to stick on the major league roster by 2015. He is going to be optioned the moment he is signed in 2012 (1). He won't be ready 2013 (2), and 2014 (3). To send him down in 2015 they would have to expose him to waivers if I am right.

That is a scary thought.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Concepcion falls under the same situation as well

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I knew players could get a fourth option year. Here is what wikipedia has as the conditions needed for a player to earn a fourth option year:
A team may have a fourth option year on a player with less than five full seasons of professional experience, provided that both conditions are met below.
*A player has not spent at least 90 days on an active professional roster in a season. Minor leagues that play below Class A Advanced have seasons that are shorter than 90 days, and as such, any player who spends a full season in a rookie or Class A (short-season) league will receive a fourth option year.
*A player has not spent at least 60 days on an active professional roster AND then at least 30 days on a disabled list in a season. Only after 60 days have been spent on an active professional roster does time spent on the disabled list count towards the 90-day threshold. As with the prior example, this cannot occur with players who spend a full season in a rookie or Class A (short season) league.
So it seems unlikely that Soler or Concepcion would earn a fourth option year.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Thanks for the info, seems to be a rare case.

ZDemp34

That One Guy
Liked Posts:
If one or two of those guys don't pan out, that's why we have free agency, to fill minor holes in the roster.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The goal (a lofty one I might add) is to have most of the team be made up of homegrown guys and then fill the holes with free agents as ZD said. The timeline of the rebuild depends on how well the homegrown guys perform. So I guess we damn well better hope they do perform :lol:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Peoria Chiefs‏@peoriachiefs

Holy cow that ball was crushed....by Javier Baez. Over the scoreboard here at Pohlman Field. Completely over the scoreboard. into the trees

Baez prolly be more productive then Stewart at big league level :cubstroll:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Smokies on Radio‏@SmokiesonRadio

Lake with a triple into centerfield. Great speed by Lake as he whipped around second. #cubs

Shit another player that be more productive then Stewart at 3B :troll:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Brett Jackson had a nice game and Soto played most of the night. Good news even though they lost.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Article by a fan that gives something else to mull about with the potential timeline for Vitters, Jackson, and Rizzo Chicago Cubs Fans Shouldn

I think it is funny how people freaked out about Jackson being called up last year when Fuku was traded... and 11 months later he still isn't up.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it is funny how people freaked out about Jackson being called up last year when Fuku was traded... and 11 months later he still isn't up.

No point in wasting control years when the guy obviously still has stuff to work on.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Boise starts their season in a little over 3 hours. In case you didn't know some of the highlights for the team include Bill Buckner being the hitting coach. Opening day starter Jose Arias is a hard throwing righty that tops out at 96-97. CF Shawon Dunston Jr., 3B Jeimer Candelario, and SS Marco Hernadez are probably the most interesting position player prospects. Here is the scouting reporst on Candelario and Hernadez from Goldstein last year:
7. Jeimer Candelario, 3B
DOB: 11/24/93
Height/Weight: 6-1/180
Bats/Throws: S/R
Drafted/Signed: Dominican Republic, 2010
2011 Stats: .337/.443/.478 in Dominican Summer League (72 G)
Tools Profile: Candelario has a fantastic combination of pure hitting ability and offensive polish.

Year in Review: This Dominican signee was among the most impressive players in the Dominican Summer League in terms of both numbers and scouting reports.
The Good: Candelario has significant offensive potential. He earns raves for his highly-polished approach, and is a switch-hitter with power potential to all fields and a knack for consistent hard contact. He's a solid runner with the tools to become an average first baseman.
The Bad: Candelario's swing works much better from the left side; his power is reduced greatly with his contact-based swing against lefties. He's still messy defensively, and there are worries that he could be forced to first base or left field should he fill out and slow down.
Ephemera: Candelario was 16 days old when id Software released Doom, the groundbreaking first-person shooter.
Perfect World Projection: He could be a middle-of-the-order run producer.
Fantasy Impact: He hasn’t played a game in the United States, so let's calm down a bit here.
Path to the Big Leagues: Candelario will likely spend the spring adjusting to playing in the United States, then play in a short-season league. His upside is tremendous, but he's eons away.
ETA: 2016

9. Marco Hernandez, SS
DOB: 9/6/92
Height/Weight: 6-0/170
Bats/Throws: L/R
Drafted/Signed: Dominican Republic, 2009
2011 Stats: .333/.375/.486 at Rookie (51 G)
Tools Profile: He’s a legitimate shortstop with some hitting ability.

Year in Review: This Dominican teenager put up big numbers in his stateside debut.
The Good: Hernandez is a true shortstop with above-average speed, quick reactions, range to both sides, and a strong arm. He's a switch-hitter with a line-drive swing from both sides, and has shown the occasional ability to drive one into the gap.
The Bad: Hernandez does not have a projectable frame, so he'll never develop much in the way of power. He needs to improve his on-base skills to avoid being relegated to the end of a lineup. Hernandez needs to slow the game down defensively, as he's prone to errors on routine ground balls when he rushes the play.
Ephemera: Hernandez was born in the Dominican city of Moca, which is also known as “La Villa Heroica,” due to the role citizens of the city had in overthrowing dictator Rafael Trujillo.
Perfect World Projection: He’s an everyday shortstop, and there aren't 30 of those in the big leagues.
Fantasy Impact: It’s limited due to a lack of secondary skills.
Path to the Big Leagues: Hernandez will compete for a full-season gig this spring, but he’ll likely play for short-season Boise in 2012.
ETA: 2015

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Boise Hawks lineup for the opener is:
Dunston Jr CF, Amaya 2B, Hernandez SS, Conteras C, Shoulders 1B, Candelario 3B, Batista LF, Kim DH, Gonzalez RF
Arias SP

If you want to listen to the game free here. Game is starting in 10 minutes.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
CCO:
Anthony Rizzo: 1-for-3,BB; Josh Vitters: 0-for-4; Brett Jackson: 0-for-3,R,BB,3K in Iowa’s 4-3 loss on Friday night #Cubs