NHL Draft, Hawks News During Draft, All Deals Across The NHL

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll simplify things then - unlike in the NFL and NBA (and I assume baseball) - in the NHL they are basically drafting high school aged kids - kids that are not fully (physically) developed (let alone mentally), and in the huge majority of cases are not in the position to contribute to the NHL for years (if ever).

What I find shocking is that -frankly this is not a new situation -so how is it that it isn't common knowledge?

That and the simple fact that this kid is years away from even possibly contributing to any NHL team (if it ever happens). So really is it that big of a deal? (Rhetorical question).

Know you were just assuming and this is off topic. But that's way off.

In the MLB draft there are tons of high schoolers taken and the process of getting to the major leagues is sometimes even longer than it takes a hockey player to get to the NHL.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

In the MLB draft there are tons of high schoolers taken and the process of getting to the major leagues is sometimes even longer than it takes a hockey player to get to the NHL.

Plus the MLB has eleventy billion rounds and they draft every player in the world, it seems.

I went to a tiny D3 college and we had 3 players drafted in 2010. None of them are still playing pro baseball anywhere.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Plus the MLB has eleventy billion rounds and they draft every player in the world, it seems.

I went to a tiny D3 college and we had 3 players drafted in 2010. None of them are still playing pro baseball anywhere.

Often guys in the later rounds that are young get drafted then go to college to try to improve their worth.

Lots drafted because there are a lot of roster spots to fill in the minor leagues and stuff. Lots of the lower round guys just become minor league players for the rest of their life or they stop playing some time.

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:

Right (thanks for that) - then scratch MLB ... I know they have a bajillion rounds -in the NHL I think the age limit starts at 16, was my point ... that and who knows, or who cares after maybe the first 5 picks -it all ends up being a crapshoot in most years anyways.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right (thanks for that) - then scratch MLB ... I know they have a bajillion rounds -in the NHL I think the age limit starts at 16, was my point ... that and who knows, or who cares after maybe the first 5 picks -it all ends up being a crapshoot in most years anyways.

It's cool. I just figured that I should clear it up for everyone. But agree that NBA and NFL are so completely different from NHL that it's hard to adjust to.