OT: Ranking the 30 Best NBA teams from 2000-'12

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My order:

1) '00 Los Angeles Lakers (won title-- Shaq, Kobe, Rice)
2) '01 Los Angeles Lakers (won title-- Shaq, Kobe)
3) '08 Boston Celtics (won title-- KG, Pierce, Allen)
4) '04 Los Angeles Lakers (if healthy* lost in Finals-- Shaq, Kobe, Malone, GP)
5) '03 San Antonio Spurs (won title-- Duncan, Robinson, Parker, Ginobili)
6) '05 San Antonio Spurs (won title-- Duncan, Ginobili, Parker)
7) '04 San Antonio Spurs (lost in semi-finals-- Duncan, Ginobili, Parker)
8) '04 Detroit Pistons (won title-- Billups, Ben, Rip, Sheed, Prince)
9) '05 Detroit Pistons (lost in Finals-- Billups, Ben, Rip, Sheed, Prince)
10) '11 Dallas Mavericks (won title-- Nowitzki, Chandler, Terry, Marion, Kidd)
11) '02 Sacramento Kings (lost in WCF-- Webber, Stojakovic, Bibby, Divac)
12) '00 Portland Trailblazers (lost in WCF-- Sheed, Pippen, Damon, Smith, AS)
13) '02 Los Angeles Lakers (won title-- Shaq, Kobe)
14) '03 Los Angeles Lakers (lost in semi-finals-- Shaq, Kobe)
15) '07 San Antonio Spurs (won title-- Duncan, Parker, Ginobili)
16) '07 Phoenix Suns (lost in semi-finals-- Nash, Amare, Marion)
17) '06 Miami Heat (won title-- Wade, Shaq, GP, Walker, Posey, Haslem, Zo)
18) '05 Phoenix Suns (lost in WCF-- Nash, Marion, Amare, Johnson, Q-Rich)
19) '09 Los Angeles Lakers (won title-- Kobe, Pau, Bynum, Odom)
20) '10 Los Angeles Lakers (won title-- Kobe, Pau, Bynum, Odom)
21) '10 Boston Celtics (lost in Finals-- Pierce, KG, Rondo, Allen)
22) '08 Los Angeles Lakers (lost in Finals-- Kobe, Pau, Odom)
23) '03 Sacramento Kings (if healthy* lost in semi-finals-- CW, PS, MB, VD)
24) '06 Dallas Mavericks (lost in Finals-- Nowitzki, Terry, Howard, Harris)
25) '06 San Antonio Spurs (lost in semi-finals-- Duncan, Ginobili, Parker)
26) '12 Miami Heat (won title-- LeBron, Wade, Bosh)
27) '05 Miami Heat (lost in ECF-- Shaq, Wade, Jones, Zo)
28) '04 Indiana Pacers (lost in ECF-- JO, Artest, Miller, Harrington)
29) '00 Indiana Pacers (lost in Finals-- Miller, Rose, Smits)
30) '04 Minnesota Timberwolves (lost in WCF-- KG, Cassell, Sprewell)

Last edited:

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And I see another one of your dumb ass lists...

What specifically is dumb about it, Charlie Brown?

I am open to constructive criticism and especially people coming up with their own lists/opinions.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:

I am open to constructive criticism and especially people coming up with their own lists/opinions.

I think you already know. The 2012 Heat team should be higher on the list...seems like another vehicle for Lebron hate...horrible. You have teams that lost in the 2nd round over this team....I don't get it.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think you already know. The 2012 Heat team should be higher on the list...seems like another vehicle for Lebron hate...horrible. You have teams that lost in the 2nd round over this team....I don't get it.

You already agreed with me once when I said that there has been a steady drop-off in quality team-play in the NBA since the 80's and 90's.

Name one team that I have ranked over the 2012 Heat that I was clearly wrong about.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The issue here isn't that I am a "LeBron James hater." The issue seems to be more like you are riding him hard.

I suppose you are also going to tell me that the 2007 Cavs are better than a lot of the teams on this lost who lost in round 2 simply because they "made the Finals."

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
The issue here isn't that I am a "LeBron James hater." The issue seems to be more like you are riding him hard.

I suppose you are also going to tell me that the 2007 Cavs are better than a lot of the teams on this lost who lost in round 2 simply because they "made the Finals."

There has been a fall off since the 1980's, and some teams should be contracted. But that was the issue with those 3 coming together...2 top 5 players and another who is top 20...nobody else on the list has that. You have to go back to the 1980's to find teams comparable when it comes to core players relative to the league.

This Heat team would beat those Suns teams like a drum. And then you have some "If Healthy" teams ahead of them? This team could win the East any year over that time span, they would contend and win the conference in any of those years.

You have them that low...by the way, where are those great Boris Diaw Bobcats teams? I take it that is the principal reason you have the Suns over the Heat right?

Also, the 2005 Heat were better than the 2005 Pistons...the Heat lost because Wade was injured.

Last edited:

thechosenone

Liked Posts:
tbh this thread gave me a good laugh. Firstly because it's very difficult to make these comparisons and secondly because you can't have a "lost in semi-finals" team in the top 10.

Last edited:

thechosenone

Liked Posts:
This year's Heat is definetely better than any team that lost in the semi finals, the conference finals or the finals so I would say they are a top 13 team. Are they the worst champions ever? No. So they are higher than 13 for sure. How higher? It's something we can uselessly talk for many hours.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There has been a fall off since the 1980's, and some teams should be contracted. But that was the issue with those 3 coming together...2 top 5 players and another who is top 20...nobody else on the list has that. You have to go back to the 1980's to find teams comparable when it comes to core players relative to the league.

Let's look at the NBA right now. The Lakers have 3 top 20 players (Kobe, Gasol, Bynum), the Spurs have 3 in the top 30 (and a ton more depth than Miami), and the Celtics have 3 in the top 30 and 1 more in the top 40. Obviously, having 2 of the best 4 players in the NBA is astounding and there is no denying that. But that doesn't automatically make you one of the best teams in history. Look at the problems they had against Indiana and Boston just this year alone.

This Heat team would beat those Suns teams like a drum.

I don't think so. Nash is arguably better offensively than even LeBron or Wade individually back then because of his superior passing and shooting combined with that dribble penetration and killer floater. The Suns in '05 had all sorts of weapons offensively. And the Suns in '07 had improved defensively and rebounding with much thanks to Kurt Thomas who was a very capable center back then. Their offense was superior to Miami's now.

And then you have some "If Healthy" teams ahead of them?

The 2004 Lakers healthy would have wiped the floor with this 2012 Heat team. And the Sacramento Kings in 2003 had improved defensively from the year before when they were robbed of the championship. Then Webber went down for the playoffs. They arguably could even be higher.

This team could win the East any year over that time span, they would contend and win the conference in any of those years.

2000- IND
01- PHI
02- NJN
03- NJN
04- DET (finally, a worthy contender)
05- DET (Miami gets Shaq in a trade)
06- MIA
07- CLE (worst team to make the finals probably since the 50's)
08- BOS (in a VERY light East. This team destroys the Heat now)
09- ORL (a 'meh' contending team in a light conference barely scraping by a KG-less Celtics team in 7 games)
10- BOS (were still hurt yet still mowed through the East)
11- MIA (taking over as Boston begins to age)

...from 01-04 and then again from 07-09 (with the exception of Boston) the East was extremely light. Indiana was hovering around in the early part of the decade but that was it. Those Nets teams that made the Finals were mediocre as well.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You have them that low...by the way, where are those great Boris Diaw Bobcats teams? I take it that is the principal reason you have the Suns over the Heat right?

Diaw was a very good complementary piece for that 07 Suns team. Nash, Bell, Marion, Stoudemire, Diaw, and Kurt Thomas made for a well-rounded team that was not bad on defense at all as many people like to claim. That team has a pick-and-roll game and three-point shooting that the Heat do not. James Jones and Mike Miller don't really count seeing as that is their entire purpose. Battier and Chalmers are the main three-point weapons on the Heat.

Also, the 2005 Heat were better than the 2005 Pistons...the Heat lost because Wade was injured.

The 2005 Heat had Wade, Eddie Jones, Damon Jones, and Keyon Dooling (4 SGs) splitting time between their 3 perimeter positions. They were basically the OKC Thunder with an extremely crappy version of Durant, an extremely good version of Westbrook, and a Hulk-version of Kendrick Perkins and Serge Ibaka (Shaq and Alonzo Mourning).

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
One thing about Rami that I'll give him credit for, he certainly knows how to look things up on basketballreference.com.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

Who gives a shit about lists?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3FTU3beE8g]Ron and Fez - Social Network Generation Rant - YouTube[/ame]

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, so, I made a list. It is the off-season. Anyone complaining about "wasting time" is probably overvaluing the time which is spent doing otherwise on an internet forum.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Steve Nash is better offensively than Lebron and Wade?

yokfs.gif

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Yeah, so, I made a list. It is the off-season. Anyone complaining about "wasting time" is probably overvaluing the time which is spent doing otherwise on an internet forum.
The point is, making lists is stupid.