Am I on drugs?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This whole thread is a major over reaction. Most of these kids are 2, 3 or 4 years away from playing in the NHL. Does anyone know what the makeup of this team will be 3 years from now? There might only be only 4 or 5 players off the existing roster still here. This isnt the NFL where your picks for the most part....play instantly. It doesnt work that way in the NHL. So this draft, like last year's draft and every draft is a crap shoot...when the smoke clears, you see what you got and you go from there thru trades and free agency. Ever wonder why there are so many hockey trades and so few NFL trades? This is one of the reasons.

Hey, Im not a big fan of Bowman either but his draft picks are not the reason.

Last edited:

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This whole thread is a major over reaction. Most of these kids are 2, 3 or 4 years away from playing in the NHL. Does anyone know what the makeup of this team will be 3 years from now? There might only be only 4 or 5 players off the existing roster still here. This isnt the NFL where your picks for the most part....play instantly. It doesnt work that way in the NHL. So this draft, like last year's draft and every draft is a crap shoot...when the smoke clears, you see what you got and you go from there thru trades and free agency. Ever wonder why there are so many hockey trades and so few NFL trades? This is one of the reasons.

Hey, Im not a big fan of Bowman either but his draft picks are not the reason.

Yep. He has been good in the draft so far actually. McNeill, Saad, Shaw all good.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Or is our front office?

I have to be missing something.

Here are our weaknesses, as I see them:

1) Physical play from the defense. We don't defend our forwards. We don't punish anyone. We may well fight occasionally but we don't may you PAY for trying to dig the puck out of the corner, and we don't punish you for skating through our zone with your head down. We LET you skate.

2) Giving up our own crease to opposing forwards. We tend to allow the opposition to camp in front of our net. This is related to #1.

3) Goaltending. We have a serious issue with soft goals. Rebounds, bouncing pucks, weak shots from the circle, etc.

4) Two-way play from our forwards. We have one, maybe two guys who play both ways. Hossa does a good job of it and Toews is getting better every year, but most of the rest of of our Top 6 are waiting for you to miss a shot so they can take it the other way and do something that'll get them on Sportscenter.

5) Special teams play. We suck on the power play, and we suck at defending it.

6) Physical play from the forward spot, ESPECIALLY on power plays and in front of the opposition net. We don't have that Ladd or Byflugien anymore. Those were the guys who picked up the trash goals, screened goalies, harassed goalies, etc., and that led to points. Those guys are gone.

SO, that all said, I thought that in free agency and the draft we'd go after the following:

1) A physical Top 4 defenseman with a rocket from the point who could keep opposing forwards away from our goal, beat them to and for the puck in the corners, muscle people off the puck skating across the front of our net, and unleash fury from the point on the power play. A nice slap shot that causes a rebound would be great IF we had someone in front of the paint.

2) Someone to BE THAT GUY standing in front of the paint to grab that rebound and bury it. A 6'2", 215 pound 2-line centerman who could play both ways. We don't need a big goal scorer, just someone who can play both ways, take and give a hit, distribute the puck to our snipers, and work well with the puck in possession or on rebounds, in front of, beside, and behind the net.

3) MAYBE a goalie if we struck out on both of the above.

Well, we didn't do JACK in free agency other than sign Johnny O (who I like fairly well but not as well as his paycheck would suggest) to a Special person contract, and re-sign some scrub depth.

In the draft we needed a salty defenseman with the size and maturity to play now, or a "quick to the show" center, and instead we signed ANOTHER undersized, nifty with the puck, can't hit a lick, wouldn't know defense if it bit him on the ass, fancy-pants winger.

I'm not a negative Nelly, but I'm starting to question what the hell we're doing. ESPECIALLY after this draft.

Can someone tell me what the hell is happening on Madison?

1 and 2) Q.

3) May have something to do with 1 and 2.

4) This one I believe you really are on drugs. Sportscenter doesn't show hockey highlights. ESPN earns no profit for showing NHL highlights, so it won't.

5) Very few guys want to put in the effort. These areas of the game are all about work. Bring a lunch-pail to work? So few on this team even bother.

6) It takes some sack. Also, see #5.

I'm glad you propose solutions instead of whining and bitching. Props.

1) So, who ya thinkin? Kinda thin FA class past Suter. Suter is sneaky physical. He's not the type to blow people up, but he will punish crease crawlers.

2) Super thin FA class. Through this route, you will overpay AND not get what you want. SB has to be creative here to solve this one as it will have to be done via trade. And, well, trading is not exactly his strong suit.

3) I'm on board. Crawford needs a bounce-back season. Who is the real Crawford? The one we saw when he first arrived who also appeared this past season or the Crawford who kept them in the Vancouver playoff series? Sure would like some consistency here. It's needed.

FA starts on July 1. Only teams can re-sign their own guys. I think there are already some guys in our system who fit your D description a bit not to mention they did pick up a couple of 6'2" D this draft. I have no idea about them; however, this was a funky draft. Something like 8 of the first 10 were D? Doesn't leave much of the talented bunch left. The past two drafts they have emphasized size, so the organization didn't see it as such a dire need this one (so they got Kane 2.0?).

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lets wait til these two actually do something in the NHL before calling em "good picks".

Good picks because he picked guys that have skill. Right now, they look good. And that's all you can really say about Bowman's drafting for right now. Not many have made it to the NHL because he hasn't been GM that long.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lets wait til these two actually do something in the NHL before calling em "good picks".

And by the way McNeill played in prospect camp and training camp, I think he can be the 2C in the future which is why they haven't gone after anyone (just what I'm thinking)

Saad had an amazing year in the juniors and will probably play at Rockford this year, but he's a top 6 forward and will most likely be good in the future.

I'd say that last year was a good draft for Bowman. Stop trying to act like you know anything by posting these weak arguments.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
did anyone else see that unicorn?