Luongo Talks Blackhawks Or Panthers As Destinations

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll take the goalies with the best quality starts in the playoffs the past couple years to use for stats. these are career numbers, not sample sizes.

Now these goalies and their goal support on their teams.

Vancouver`s numbers are especially surprising since Vancouver has been a top offensive team for much of Luongo`s playoff career.

Now lets look at the goal support that the cup champions got. Goals are per game

Chicago (10) 3.5
Pittsburgh (09) 3.3
Detroit (08) 3.3
Boston (11) 3.2
Carolina (06) 2.9
Anaheim (07) 2.8

Vancouver's most in the playoffs were 2.3 obviously not enough offensive support.

Now lets point out what some of these teams had when they won the cup.

Anaheim had Chris Pronger, Scotty Nieds, Beauchemin to lead the D.
Detroit had Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall
Penguins had Scuderi, Letang, Gill, Gonchar
Hawks had Sebrook, Keith, Campbell

What Norris Trophy candidate does Luongo have helping him? Also if you look around those defenders, they where surrounded by all around good quality defensive d-men.

The problem I have here is that the Hawks don't really have great defense anymore. Yes, they still have Seabrook and Keith, but they don't have the same great defense they had the cup year. They will need better defense no matter what.

The offense is also a problem for the Hawks. It's not a 3.5 a game offense like it was in the cup year.

Goaltending isn't the only issue and that's why I think spending too much money on one issue over the other isn't exactly smart. That said, I'm open to the Hawks trading for Luongo. I'm just not as animated about it as some of you guys.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see what you're saying. I needed to word my statement a bit better...it was supposed to be a shot at the Hawks pathetic attempts at drafting a goalie. I've been a fan since the Glenn Hall days and if you count Crawford(I feel generous), they've only drafted two goalies that can play....Hasak being the other. That is simply not acceptable. These good goalies aren't just magically appearing in the league.....somebody is drafting them, it's just not the Chicago Blackhawks.

The problem is that some of the greatest goalies go in the late rounds or are even undrafted and some of the worst goalies are taken high in the draft. The Hawks have made attempts, I'm sure, at getting good goalies but it doesn't always work like that. Also, the minor leagues for the Hawks are stacked with some pretty good goalies that just aren't ready yet. Need a good vet before having young guys play.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I'll take the goalies with the best quality starts in the playoffs the past couple years to use for stats. these are career numbers, not sample sizes.

Now these goalies and their goal support on their teams.

Vancouver`s numbers are especially surprising since Vancouver has been a top offensive team for much of Luongo`s playoff career.

Now lets look at the goal support that the cup champions got. Goals are per game

Chicago (10) 3.5
Pittsburgh (09) 3.3
Detroit (08) 3.3
Boston (11) 3.2
Carolina (06) 2.9
Anaheim (07) 2.8

Vancouver's most in the playoffs were 2.3 obviously not enough offensive support.

Now lets point out what some of these teams had when they won the cup.

Anaheim had Chris Pronger, Scotty Nieds, Beauchemin to lead the D.
Detroit had Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall
Penguins had Scuderi, Letang, Gill, Gonchar
Hawks had Sebrook, Keith, Campbell

What Norris Trophy candidate does Luongo have helping him? Also if you look around those defenders, they where surrounded by all around good quality defensive d-men.

But why have Luongo's numbers dropped in each of the last 3 postseasons, when compared to his regular season stats? Same players in the regular season and in the postseason.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
But why have Luongo's numbers dropped in each of the last 3 postseasons, when compared to his regular season stats? Same players in the regular season and in the postseason.

smaller sample sizes as a whole per the season.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Because the Canucks are in a shitty division and that's how they win all their games and have a "great offense". They go to the playoffs and play real teams and they get shut down (ish)

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
This guy was also benched in each of the last two postseasons. Yes, trading for him should make all of us supremely confident in the Blackhawks.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This guy was also benched in each of the last two postseasons. Yes, trading for him should make all of us supremely confident in the Blackhawks.

To be fair Schneider is a really good goalie that was always in Luongo's shadow, but is probably better than Luongo.

Is Luongo shaky? Yes.
Is he a headcase? Yes.
Is he a good goalie? Yes.
Does he have a big contract? Yes.
Does it hurt the Hawks to go after him? No.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
I want him and Doan.

If we can land Doan I would live with kane at 2C

Sent via Tapatalk on Droid RAZR MAXX

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I want him and Doan.

If we can land Doan I would live with kane at 2C

Sent via Tapatalk on Droid RAZR MAXX

Yeah. I really want Doan. Doan, Sharp, Kane, Toews, Hossa (maybe), and Stalberg is a pretty good top 6.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Well, actually that would make three straight post seasons as he was yanked a couple of times against the Hawks in the Cup year. Although, I believe he started all the games vs the Hawks...he sure didn't finish all of them. Like I said earlier, he'd get us to the tourney but he won't finish the job.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, actually that would make three straight post seasons as he was yanked a couple of times against the Hawks in the Cup year. Although, I believe he started all the games vs the Hawks...he sure didn't finish all of them. Like I said earlier, he'd get us to the tourney but he won't finish the job.

But you can't really blame Luongo for all of that. I think that Luongo is a headcase, yes. The only time he fails is when he gets behind. Once he gives up 3 or 4, he gives up like 6 because he just loses it. It was evident in last year's playoffs and especially against the Bruins.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But you can't really blame Luongo for all of that. I think that Luongo is a headcase, yes. The only time he fails is when he gets behind. Once he gives up 3 or 4, he gives up like 6 because he just loses it. It was evident in last year's playoffs and especially against the Bruins.

Why can't he be blamed for that? We're blaming Crawford, we blamed Khabibulin....you KNOW we blamed Huet. Luongo's got a history of giving up soft goals at the worst times, then falling apart afterwards. Is that what we need here in Chicago? I think I've seen that act before....

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:

Well, two (yanking and benching are two very different things in the playoffs) - and the Chi benching was more of AV trying to change momentum. He was pretty damn strong after Schneider's injury. Got pretty far that year. And as for this past offseason, they weren't losing against the Kings because of him.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why can't he be blamed for that? We're blaming Crawford, we blamed Khabibulin....you KNOW we blamed Huet. Luongo's got a history of giving up soft goals at the worst times, then falling apart afterwards. Is that what we need here in Chicago? I think I've seen that act before....

He can't be blamed for that because his offense and defense wasn't good in front of him. We blamed Khabi and Huet because they gave up goals that changed the game. The soft goals that Luongo gives up are usually after the game is already over.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:

What? Why are we blaming Khabi and Huet? Khabi got us to the Conference Finals until he got hurt with a team that wasn't in the playoffs since what, '02? Huet was mop up in 09-10. I'm confused.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What? Why are we blaming Khabi and Huet? Khabi got us to the Conference Finals until he got hurt with a team that wasn't in the playoffs since what, '02? Huet was mop up in 09-10. I'm confused.

Yeah. Not like anyone expected the Hawks to make it as far as they did in 08-09 and nobody expected them to beat the defending champ Red Wings.

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol we can't have Luongo because he gets pulled or benched. Luongo doesn't get the support he's needed to win. The stats I listed proved that. From what I have seen Crawford lets in some pretty weak goals at the wrong time to cough OT cough.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Lol we can't have Luongo because he gets pulled or benched. Luongo doesn't get the support he's needed to win. The stats I listed proved that. From what I have seen Crawford lets in some pretty weak goals at the wrong time to cough OT cough.

You and Dews laugh, yet those benchings are the evidence of why Luongo in net is far from a re-assurance for the Hawks ... or any team. Again, he's an upgrade over Crawford, no one here is disputing that.

And Crawford only got 2.4 goals/game of support in this recent postseason, so are you going to tell me that series wasn't his fault, either?

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
484561_444051222294101_1384386393_n.jpg