Ryan Dempster Trade Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
specifically for demp, a hot commodity. no need for threads on campana and dejesus.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Boston's reportedly after him hard...I see a fit there. Thoyer knows the system...

Is it just me, or has Cherington seemed a bit overwhelmed since taking over in Boston?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Boston's reportedly after him hard...I see a fit there. Thoyer knows the system...

Is it just me, or has Cherington seemed a bit overwhelmed since taking over in Boston?

you know I love ya but the theoisms blow. :)

And I think Cherington had no idea what he got into. A lot of people out in boston partially blame theo but also there is other variables for this year like the injuries and an idiot manager. I think he was sleeping when he traded youk for stewart and lillibridge, lillibridge DFAd today so basically they got zach stewart for youk. he probably needs to settle in.

I still dont agree that boston should do anything as maybe they can get a wild card because they arent winning that division thats for sure.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
idk what the hell happened to Boston, since last September they've been like the Cubs basically

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
you know I love ya but the theoisms blow. :)

And I think Cherington had no idea what he got into. A lot of people out in boston partially blame theo but also there is other variables for this year like the injuries and an idiot manager. I think he was sleeping when he traded youk for stewart and lillibridge, lillibridge DFAd today so basically they got zach stewart for youk. he probably needs to settle in.

I still dont agree that boston should do anything as maybe they can get a wild card because they arent winning that division thats for sure.

Wasn't really a theoism, I mean, there's no doubt he knows Boston's system. But I agree, Cherington basically inherited the job -- he appears to be in over his head at this point.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
idk what the hell happened to Boston, since last September they've been like the Cubs basically

They had an epically bad September last year, but if 46-44 in the best division in baseball is a team's low point where do I sign up for that?

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The Cubs really need to look to deal him ASAP. With him having an ERA under 2 and consistently showing an ability to miss bats, I wouldn't want a bad start or, God forbid, an injury derail his trade value. Since there's upwards of 10 teams interested in Dempster, I'm sure the Cubs will have a mini bidding war for his services and could end up with a nice cache of prospects for his services when it's all said and done.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I could see a team wanting to see Dempster actually throw more than 90 pitches before offering up serious prospects. Seems like everything pointing to the Cubs getting at least one top 10 prospect for Dempster. So it would make sense that teams want to be sure he is fully back before ponying up.

Hawksfan

Liked Posts:
I think Demps will end up in LA! They have more prospects to package, in a deal, than Boston!

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://siriusxmsports.posterous.com/mark-shapiro-indians-president-on-first-pitch

Interesting interview from Mark Shapiro about how the second wildcard and lack of compensation for traded players is affecting the market. At the very end he mentions specifically the scenario I've talked about with Dempster and the Cubs stating that they have to get something better than the compensation pick back for Dempster.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think compensation also comes with a sandwich pick in addition to the other team's top protected pick. Is that correct?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think compensation also comes with a sandwich pick in addition to the other team's top protected pick. Is that correct?

I thought that too, but Mark Shapiro saying a compensation pick does cloud the issue. Could have been a slip of the tongue, but you think that he would know for certain.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought that too, but Mark Shapiro saying a compensation pick does cloud the issue. Could have been a slip of the tongue, but you think that he would know for certain.

You're the CBA expert, you tell me :lol:

If Dempster declining the qualifying offer nets the team's top unprotected pick AND a sandwich round pick, that is huge. That means whatever he gets back in trade has to be greater in value than what you'd get back with draft picks. Draft picks have a lot of value in a rebuild and especially in this new market developing around the new CBA. So the question is...how likely is Dempster to decline a one year deal at $12MM-ish and go elsewhere, and how likely are teams to blow their wads on a rental knowing that Demp might want to come back to Chicago after the season anyway?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bruce Levine on ESPN1000 just said that he thinks Dempster will make his next start in a Cubs uni.

Hawksfan

Liked Posts:
Bruce Levine on ESPN1000 just said that he thinks Dempster will make his next start in a Cubs uni.

I hope so! Would be great to get another W before he leaves! We can take every W we can get!

Status
Not open for further replies.