Locked Out

Will the NHL have a season in 2012-2013?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I haven't been following the negotiations closely regarding the new CBA, but the last thing I read was speculating that the odds of a lockout are greater than first thought. So with that said, what do you think? Will there be hockey this Fall? Will they play a full season, half-season or no season?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Yes

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
There is time, yes, but that first offer from the owners didn't raise anyone's optimism.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
There will be hockey...season may start late

Sent via Tapatalk on Droid RAZR MAXX

LonghornBob

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
After the disaster that happened a few years ago, between all the revenue lost that year and the loss from lower attendance the following years, and with all the work they've done to get the league back to a position of some strength and health, I can't see them screwing it up again.

ZDemp34

That One Guy
Liked Posts:
An extended lockout would be extremely detrimental to the NHL. I think the season will start by Christmas at the latest.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
After the disaster that happened a few years ago, between all the revenue lost that year and the loss from lower attendance the following years, and with all the work they've done to get the league back to a position of some strength and health, I can't see them screwing it up again.

Never under estimate a moron like Bettman and a hard-headed goof like Fehr.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
There is time, yes, but that first offer from the owners didn't raise anyone's optimism.

I wouldn't be worried about the first couple of offers from both sides. Both will be shooting for the moon to start. There is no reason to start compromising right off the bat if you are the other side.

I think we are all definitely hoping for the NHL to start on time but we will most likely be left in the dark for a little while here.

ChicagoDawg1991

if this season is shortened I will be somewhat mad but glad but if there is a lockout.................I might go crazy

MotorCityCub

Liked Posts:
I can't see there being a work stoppage, but if there is it will be over by the start of December. There's no way the league is going to screw with the Winter Classic at Michigan Stadium.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8219780/nhl-proposes-expanded-revenue-sharing-talks

Players currently receive 57 percent of hockey-related revenues, and reports indicate the initial league proposal on July 13 asked that it be reduced to 46 percent.

The owners want to extend rookie contracts to five years from the current three, and they want to cap all contract lengths at five years.

As for revenue sharing, it remains a key to the health of the league to keep the poorest teams financially stable.

The owners are obviously shooting for the moon and this is pretty standard for any CBA. The thing that concerns me is that the players pretty much called their bluff by the ridiculous contracts being thrown around this summer (4 contracts were signed over $100 Mil if i remember correctly) and a team like the Hurricanes, a "small market" team, handed out a 10 year contract at $6mil a year and a 1 year contract at $7mil a year.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
does it seem so dumb to just ask for a 50-50 split and get it over with?

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
does it seem so dumb to just ask for a 50-50 split and get it over with?

Still plenty of time to get to that point. No reason to go there now.

If the owners said, "let's just go 50/50 and get it over with" then the players would just come back and say, "well how about we go 55/45 then?" and vice versa.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Still plenty of time to get to that point. No reason to go there now.

If the owners said, "let's just go 50/50 and get it over with" then the players would just come back and say, "well how about we go 55/45 then?" and vice versa.

Dumb

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Dumb

Yea, but can you really blame either side for trying to maximize their profits? Pretty much everyone in the real world does it every day. If you can have 55% instead of 50% (or 55K a year to 50K a year salary)...you usually will go for it and take it. Obviously this is on a much bigger scale but it comes down to the same basics.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Possible NHL Lockout Discussion Thread

discuss.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The players' offer also allows for franchises in distress under special circumstances to be permitted to trade or sell up to $4 million in cap space to another team - giving the team a way of adding another 'paycheque.'

That seems like a terrible idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.