OT: The Strasburg Shutdown

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I have a real big problem with how Nationals management is handling this whole situation. I understand that they had this plan all along to shut him at a certain point, but they no idea that the Nats would be involved in pennant race this season, let alone have one of the best records in baseball. They have to live within the now and stop worrying so much about the future. The fact of the matter is they have no idea that they will ever be in this position to win again. They need to let Strasburg have the final say.

I agree... but as the "King of the universe" you should just order them to stop and take their chances now.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
They can't actually let Strasburg have the final say, because all pitchers want to pitch until their arms fall off. They're just that competitive. So you do want the management to make the decision. In this case, they made a confusing decision.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
They can't actually let Strasburg have the final say, because all pitchers want to pitch until their arms fall off. They're just that competitive. So you do want the management to make the decision. In this case, they made a confusing decision.

Good point on Strasburg (and most pitchers) willing to pitch until their arms just fall off. Most don't even want to come out of the games they are pitching, despite obvious signs of having lost effectiveness and being exhausted.

WC Jerome

King of the 'Universe'!!!
Liked Posts:
NW Indiana (just outside my hometown of Chicago)
They can't actually let Strasburg have the final say, because all pitchers want to pitch until their arms fall off. They're just that competitive.
Ok, maybe not the 'final' say, but he should definitely have some input into the decision, especially in this particular case. I could see if they were in 3rd place or something like that and they no chance to make the playoffs, but that is clearly not the case. He, his teammates, and especially the fans are not on the same page with this decision, if the management chooses to make it.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok, maybe not the 'final' say, but he should definitely have some input into the decision, especially in this particular case. I could see if they were in 3rd place or something like that and they no chance to make the playoffs, but that is clearly not the case. He, his teammates, and especially the fans are not on the same page with this decision, if the management chooses to make it.

I'm sure the GM will get rightly blasted if the Nats get swept out of the first round without Strasburg, but that might happen with Strasburg anyway. They probably should've limited his innings early on, or made up some phantom injury, or something creative to ensure something like this wouldn't happen, but it's too late now and if Strasburg goes one out over his shutdown threshold and blows out his elbow again, then we have a totally different can of worms.

The GM was responsible for snagging Strasburg and Harper in the past couple of drafts and for setting up this new core of players to get them to contention now, so I'm thinking he wouldn't be fired for this. But the owner is probably not all that pleased :D

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
A. I think shutting down Strasburg is stupid on several levels. First, as pointed out by Chipper Jones himself, this could end up as the only year they have a real shot at getting a ring. That man should know, a he made it to the playoffs many times... but only 1 ring that came in his first full season. Secondly, I think the best way to actually get a pitcher's arm to strengthen is for him to pitch. Shutting him down will only allow his arm to settle in at this level of exertion. Thirdly, what are the fans going to think of this? Without Strasburg in the rotation, they could end up not even making the playoffs. If they do, there's a very good chance that they'll be bounced in the first round. The fans in DC have been waiting for this rather patiently... and now you are taking it away form them. While DC fans are well documented as fair-weather fans, they are also well-documented as punishing teams that pull these kind of stunts.

B. I think shutting down the team's best pitcher is always foolish, unless he's showing actual, current signs of wear and impending injury. Strasburg isn't showing any such signs.

C. I'd keep pitching Strasburg. I might go to a 6-man rotation for the rest of the regular season... or put him on a strict 5-inning, 80 pitch count... and let someone like Lannan piggy-back him. Or, I might do as the Cubs did with Harden and skip his every 3rd start... but I would have started that back in late July.

:clap: perfect post

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would be pissed if I was a Nationals fan. I am pissed myself as a fan that loves playoff baseball. There was so many better ways to to get his innings limit

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I would be pissed if I was a Nationals fan. I am pissed myself as a fan that loves playoff baseball. There was so many better ways to to get his innings limit

I agree entirely. I've gone from kind of rooting for the Nationals to hoping they crash and burn simply because of this boneheaded move.