There Will Be Hockey For Us

GaelicSoxFan

Time Lord
Donator
Liked Posts:
55284chicago-wolves-2008-09.gif

Oh, and icehogfan, before you give me any crap about the Wolves being an affiliate of the Cafucks, lemme ask you this: how many league championships have the Icehogs won?

Last edited:

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
And plenty more time for Kaner to slam 40s for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Oh, and icehogfan, before you give me any crap about the Wolves being an affiliate of the Cafucks, lemme ask you this: how many league championships have the Icehogs won?

You talking AHL era? If so look how much longer the Wolves have been around. The Wolves also keep their same group year after year were the icehogs have take what the Blackhawks give them.

GaelicSoxFan

Time Lord
Donator
Liked Posts:
You talking AHL era? If so look how much longer the Wolves have been around. The Wolves also keep their same group year after year were the icehogs have take what the Blackhawks give them.

The Wolves have won four championships, two Turner Cups in the old IHL and two Calders in the AHL.

Also, since the Wolves joined the AHL they've had a very high turnover ratio on their roster too. On their most recent roster, updated just a few days ago, there are seven players under contract to the Wolves. The rest are under contract to Vancouver.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Gentlemen, gentlemen. AHL team pissing contests.....

:yeah:

*Emilio Estevez voice* You have some hockey to look forward too! Settle this on the ice. LOL

Go ________ ..... Hmm, I haven't decided. Which team is better again?

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
https://twitter.com/ChrisBottaNHL/statuses/242997859463614464

There'll still be plenty of hockey for us to watch in case of lockout, hopefully a lot of NHL players sign with AHL teams if there's a lockout

Just because the AHL is talking with NBCSports, doesn't necessarily mean it will happen. If it does, I would be surprised to even see 1 game a week on NBCSports. I would fully expect the radio, hunting, fishing, etc to get better ratings than an AHL game would. Just a guess...and maybe I'm exaggerating, but I don't know.

NHLNetwork would be the place to turn. Even during a regular NHL season the network will show AHL and Juniors games.

puckthefackers

Liked Posts:
the nhl is really screwing themselves if they have another lockout. it's only been 7 or 8 yrs since the last one

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:

How many Stanley Cup Champions have recently been groomed up in with the Wolves verses with the IceHogs?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Wolves are operated more like an NHL than an AHL team for the most part. Now their owner is trying to get an NHL team in Seattle.

Wolves are terrible at player development, so their Canucks affiliation is a good thing.

GaelicSoxFan

Time Lord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wolves are operated more like an NHL than an AHL team for the most part. Now their owner is trying to get an NHL team in Seattle.

Wolves are terrible at player development, so their Canucks affiliation is a good thing.

It is well out of the 50-mile radius the NHL sets for expansion/relocating teams, so they wouldn't have to get the Canucks' approval. It'd have to be a relocating team though. I think they've expanded as much as they could. The prime candidate for relocation would be the Coyotes. Also, Don Levin would probably have to sell off the Wolves (unless NHL owners are allowed to own minor league teams).

Also, there'd have to be a new arena. KeyArena is not a viable building, both financially (no luxury boxes) and in terms of accommodating a regulation NHL rink.

Last edited:

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
So who's better?

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is well out of the 50-mile radius the NHL sets for expansion/relocating teams, so they wouldn't have to get the Canucks' approval. It'd have to be a relocating team though. I think they've expanded as much as they could. The prime candidate for relocation would be the Coyotes. Also, Don Levin would probably have to sell off the Wolves (unless NHL owners are allowed to own minor league teams).

Also, there'd have to be a new arena. KeyArena is not a viable building, both financially (no luxury boxes) and in terms of accommodating a regulation NHL rink.

The Icehogs are owned by the city, but as part of the agreement in joining the league the Blackhawks pay the players salaries, and travel.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:

The owners of the Jets also own the Manitoba Moose (which is why the Canucks switched affiliates). So that wouldn't be an issue.

I've said it before...I feel like a NHL team in Seattle wouldn't do well. NHL needs to look long and hard at other places in Canada. Just a completely different story up there.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The owners of the Jets also own the Manitoba Moose (which is why the Canucks switched affiliates). So that wouldn't be an issue.

I've said it before...I feel like a NHL team in Seattle wouldn't do well. NHL needs to look long and hard at other places in Canada. Just a completely different story up there.

I agree that another team in Canada would probably be successful, but what about a team in Wisconsin or Indiana?

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
I agree that another team in Canada would probably be successful, but what about a team in Wisconsin or Indiana?

I don't see Indiana working in the slightest. They wouldn't even stand a chance.

Wisconsin would but in the end I don't think they have the numbers for a NHL team. Their AHL team and the UW Badgers do well, but those are different beasts.

I'm really not a fan of any USA city at the current time. I'd have to think that there are at least 2 cities in Canada that could handle a team better than any City in the USA.

GaelicSoxFan

Time Lord
Donator
Liked Posts:

No chance on Indiana. They didn't even come out very much to support the Indianapolis Ice of the old IHL.

Wisconsin would have to be Milwaukee for any shot, and I don't see that happening.

I don't see Indiana working in the slightest. They wouldn't even stand a chance.

Wisconsin would but in the end I don't think they have the numbers for a NHL team. Their AHL team and the UW Badgers do well, but those are different beasts.

I'm really not a fan of any USA city at the current time. I'd have to think that there are at least 2 cities in Canada that could handle a team better than any City in the USA.

Hamilton and Quebec City?

Last edited: