Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Time for Ponder to show he's ready

SHARE THIS STORY

UPDATED SEP 6, 2012 5:07 AM ET

EDEN PRAIRIE, MINN. (AP)
(Updates. With AP Photos.)By JON KRAWCZYNSKIAP Sports Writer
Christian Ponder was watching during draft time in April, when the Minnesota Vikings passed on a chance to bring in another quarterback in favor of a left tackle to keep Ponder off his back.

He also noticed last week when general manager Rick Spielman and coach Leslie Frazier decided to cut veteran backup Sage Rosenfels and keep a stable of young quarterbacks with Ponder at the top of the depth chart.

Heading into his first full season as the starter, and after an unconvincing preseason, Ponder knows it's time to reward that faith. The Vikings open the regular season at home against Jacksonville on Sunday. With Adrian Peterson likely to carry a light load if he plays at all, the offense will run through Ponder's right arm.

Even though his exhibition performances weren't exactly emphatic, Ponder enters the season brimming with confidence.

''It helps me to see Rick Spielman adding pieces around me. It shows that he has confidence in me to build around me,'' Ponder said on Wednesday. ''When others show confidence in (you), that just keeps building it. I think this year is going to be a lot better than last year, especially for me.''

It's going to have to be. The Vikings went 3-13, with Ponder starting 10 games after the failed Donovan McNabb experiment. Without an offseason to prepare because of the lockout, Ponder was ragged. He had his moments - 381 yards against Denver and performing admirably against Aaron Rodgers and the Packers at the Metrodome - but also struggled with accuracy and inconsistency. He threw 13 touchdowns and 13 interceptions and sustained several injuries with his scrambling style.

The Vikings lost seven of the last eight games and finished in last place for the second straight season.

''I take a lot of the blame of what happened last year on myself,'' Ponder said. ''It really didn't have a lot to do with what other players were doing. I was making bad mistakes and dumb decisions. I could've done a better job of helping our team turn it around and play better and I didn't. I played poorly. It was a situation that I didn't help.''

With the same offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in place, Ponder says he feels much more comfortable this season.

''It creates just a whole different atmosphere and confidence between myself and the coaching staff,'' he said. ''I'm glad I went through what happened last year and I think that being in the same offense is only going to help myself and the rest of the guys that are a part of it.''

Ponder played sparingly in the preseason, completing 60.5 percent of his passes for 331 yards, one touchdown and one interception in three games. The Vikings' first-team offense moved the ball up and down the field with plenty of success in the first two games.

''Confidence only comes from one thing, that's demonstrated performance,'' offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave said. ''Can't build anybody up, can't give them anything false or fabricated.''

But the group took a big step backward in the third game, which served as the dress rehearsal for the season opener. Ponder was sacked five times in less than three quarters by the Chargers, several of them because he held the ball too long. He completed just 9 of 16 passes for 115 yards and an interception before exiting the game, not exactly the commanding performance he was looking for to solidify his status as the team's franchise quarterback.

''I know there's a lot for me to learn as a quarterback and there's a lot for me to grow, but I don't want to make mistakes,'' he said. ''I don't expect myself to make mistakes ever. I do know and I do realize that even the greatest make mistakes at times and those are just learning moments that you have to learn from and grow from. "

The Vikings don't need Ponder to be Joe Montana this season. They've started a rebuilding phase in the suddenly powerful NFC North. But they do need him to show some signs that he will eventually be up to the task of leading this offense for the next decade.

When it comes to intangibles, Ponder has shown them everything they need to see. His charisma and take-charge attitude have quickly solidified him as a locker room favorite and a leader who not only relates well to his teammates but also has earned their respect for playing through injuries.

''Christian's the kind of guy who not only leads vocally, but he's a leader by example,'' tight end Kyle Rudolph said. ''You kind of have to have that from your quarterback. He needs to be one of the hardest workers and Christian is that guy.''

NOTES: Peterson practiced on a limited basis on Wednesday, with the Vikings exposing him to some contact drills to gauge how ready he is to play in Week 1. Frazier has said it will be a game-time decision. ... TE John Carlson (knee) practiced full-go as he continues to work his way back from missing the entire preseason.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Jeff Dickerson ‏@ESPNChiBears
Love "selected defensive players at the podium" Thursday at Halas Hall. Who will we get? #Bears.
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite
2m Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs
Jim Cornelisonis scheduled to perform National Anthem before #Bears #Colts game Sunday at Soldier Field.

sweet!

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
I dont see it that way, 804. Try to look for the good in things. Life is too short to be thinking negatively. Being an out of towner; I dont have the luxury of chicago radio or chicago sports talk all day every day. Having all of the artie's in one place is convenient as hell.

I meant back on the CBMB when DB responded to everything he posted, and as soon as anyone chimed in it started some debate. Appreciate everything he did for news though, as well as the people here do to bring us the news to one thread.

:bearbang:

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman
#Bears say they will wear their 1940s throwback jerseys Oct. 28 against the Panthers and Dec. 16 versus the Packers.

I want to see the Nike rendition :)

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
#Bears say they will wear their 1940s throwback jerseys Oct. 28 against the Panthers and Dec. 16 versus the Packers.

Sweet

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Were still undefeated with those Jerseys, unless there is some new count due to them being Nike now.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yea yea yea, I know its old. I just got back in town yesterday so fuck off. Lol

McManis ready for next challenge

By Jeremy Stoltz
Bear Report Publisher
Posted Sep 5, 2012

Cornerback Sherrick McManis, whom the Bears acquired for FB Tyler Clutts in a trade with the Houston Texans last week, says it’s nice to be in a place where he feels wanted.

Former Chicago Bears fullback Tyler Clutts was a quality lead blocker but his lack of athleticism and limited ability in the passing game made him a bad fit for coordinator Mike Tice’s offense. As a result, the team was set to cut him before finalizing the 53-man roster last Friday.

Yet GM Phil Emery was able to swing a trade with the Houston Texans at the 11th hour, acquiring CB Sherrick McManis in return. The third-year player said it was a bit of a shock to be traded.

“That was my first experience with anything like that,” McManis told Bear Report. “It hurt at first. It was a tough time at the beginning but it is what it is. That’s football. It’s a business. This is the best situation for me.”

McManis, a former All-Big Ten athlete from Northwestern, said he’s glad to be home, in a place where he feels wanted.

“At first it was a bittersweet kind of thing. They let you go, you get traded, but you know another team wants you. I felt that from Chicago and I love to be here.”

Chicago’s coaches instituted a preseason battle for the fifth cornerback spot between rookies Isaiah Frey and Greg McCoy, and veteran Jonathan Wilhite. Each failed to stand out and all were cut, with Frey getting re-signed to the practice squad. Emery instead traded for McManis, a quality special teams player, to fill that role.

“Right now I’m just focused on wherever [the coaches] put me at. Whether that’s special teams or defense, just trying to learn and make some plays.”

The Bears lost six of their top seven special teams tacklers from last year, forcing Emery to work hard keeping the cupboard full for special teams coordinator Dave Toub. McManis joins Eric Weems and Blake Costanzo as players Chicago acquired mainly for their ability to contribute on special teams.

Toub now has a talented group of athletes to build up his units.

“I’m really excited to play for [Toub],” McManis said. “Just being in the NFL the past couple of years, the Chicago Bears always have really good special teams. That has to come from somewhere. He does a great job coaching and knowing what he’s talking about. I’m just here to listen and execute his plan.”

McManis has never started a game on defense in two years and is transitioning to a new system. He said the Texans don’t run much Cover 2, which will create a large learning curve. So unless injuries pile up in front of him, his odds of seeing the field on defense are slim. He’ll be limited to special teams, an area in which Clutts had little value.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Kellen Winslow didn't fail Patriots physical
Sep
9/6/2012 12:23:59 PM
Share on email Share on print Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on myspace Share on stumbleupon Share on digg | More Sharing ServicesMore
Free-agent tight end Kellen Winslow did not fail his physical with the New England Patriots, as has been reported, according to ESPN.com citing two league sources. The Patriots were aware of the questions about his knees, but they did not fail him on his physical.

Winslow was released by the Seahawks last Saturday. The team originally acquired him in a trade with Tampa Bay in May.

Winslow has a base salary of $3.3 million for the 2012 season, which would have been guaranteed if he was on the roster for the season opener.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol... we dont get the scout insider shit, so its always welcome mofo

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
just watch out for Jon Crist (if he's still there). Crist went after debbie for posting his articles on the CBMB lolol

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh shit... just heard a replay of part of today's presser and Urlacher gave Haugh the smackdown... lmfao

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
ROFL, Urlacher called out Haugh in person at his press conference (they're replaying it on Waddle and Silvy).

He said, "What are you doing here, David? You never come to Halas Hall. Why are you here? No reason?"

David Haugh (sheepishly): "...Working."

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, then Urlacher choked down a laugh...

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ex-Bears QB McMahon on SI cover about brain trauma

By Fred Mitchell, Tribune reporter

9:04 p.m. CDT, September 5, 2012
The girlfriend of former Bears quarterback Jim McMahon is one of the subjects of next week's Sports Illustrated cover article that is titled: "The Women Behind The Retired NFL Men Who Suffer From Brain Trauma."

Laurie Navon tells the magazine she started noticing changes in McMahon’s behavior in early 2007 before tests revealed early onset dementia. Navon and McMahon appear on the cover of the Sept. 10 issue of the magazine.

McMahon first disclosed to the Tribune in November 2010 that he was experiencing short-term memory loss when the Bears observed their 25-year anniversary of Super Bowl XX in Chicago.

"Back then, it was just tape an aspirin to your helmet and you go back in," McMahon said then. "I've worked with some neurosurgeons and it's a very serious thing, man. My memory's pretty much gone. There are a lot of times when I walk into a room and forget why I walked in there. I'm going through some studies right now and I am going to do a brain scan. It's unfortunate what the game does to you."

After being drafted in the first round out of Brigham Young in 1982, McMahon suffered knee, shoulder and hand injuries, as well as concussions. In 1984, he suffered a lacerated kidney.

In addition to Navon and McMahon, Mary Lee Kocourek (wife of former tight end Dave Kocourek) and Mary Ann Easterling (widow of former safety Ray Easterling) share their stories in the SI article.

Copyright © 2012, Chicago Tribune
Study: Brain disease deaths high in NFL veterans

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/20064844/study-brain-disease-deaths-high-in-nfl-veterans

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How healthy is Gabe Carimi?

By Jeremy Stoltz
Bear Report Publisher
Posted Sep 6, 2012

Despite Carimi’s proclamations of full health in his recovery from a dislocated kneecap, coordinator Mike Tice says the knee could still be an issue. Based on what I saw in camp, I side with Tice.

It’s been a slow recovery for Chicago Bears offensive tackle Gabe Carimi. He underwent three surgeries after dislocating his right knee in Week 2 last year, keeping him out of the remainder of the campaign. He participated in the last two weeks of OTAs this offseason on a limited basis, then suffered a setback at the beginning of training camp.

Yet for the past month, he’s been full go on the practice field and during the preseason games. He said yesterday that the knee is healthy and he’s ready to play in Week 1.

“I feel good about it,” said Carimi. “I don't think much about it. I have to warm up a little bit more, but besides that, I don't think much about it.”

Yet despite his professed confidence, coordinator Mike Tice painted a different picture after practice.

"He's going to take a while to be up to full speed. I don't think he's all the way back yet,” Tice said. “The endurance in his leg is going to come with game time. If he gets tired, we have other guys, Chris, that can go and spell him if we have to.”

During training camp, it was obvious Carimi was bothered by the knee. He looked hesitant and lacked good lateral agility. I often saw him adjusting the brace or walking awkwardly back to the huddle. So it wasn’t a surprise to hear Tice question the health of his best offensive lineman.

“I'm anxious to see him play,” said Tice. “I thought he came on real well at the end of preseason, really was run-blocking well toward the end of preseason and his pass protection has gotten better. I'm excited to see how he matures as a player, how he grows. He's a big part of what we're trying to do and what we're trying to be."

A lot of attention this offseason has been placed on the left tackle competition and how well the offensive line will pass protect this season. Yet where Carimi is most valuable is in the run game, an area in which Chicago’s offense struggled mightily during the preseason.

If Carimi isn’t fully healthy, or needs more time to get into game shape, it’s unlikely the run game will improve.

A one-dimensional offense puts QB Jay Cutler at risk, as it allows the opposing pass rushers to pin their ears bac without having to worry about the threat of the run. That scenario would certainly hurt the Bears this Sunday, as the Colts boast two of the game’s best edge rushers in Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney.

"Both of those guys can make plays, and both of those guys have to be accounted for,” said Tice.

If Carimi struggles, those two will have a serious impact in the preseason opener. So while everyone obsesses relentlessly over left tackle J’Marcus Webb, the bigger issue could be on the other side of the offensive line.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I don't care who you are, this is a funny ass ESPN commercial:

[video=youtube;USHZZ5bwASU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USHZZ5bwASU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOLOLOLOLOL!