Would Someone Like Jon Gruden Really Be An Upgrade?

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have been living in the Pac-10 (12) for over 20 seasons, am a Cal season ticket guy and watch several Pac games each week. Chip Kelly is an NFL disaster waiting to happen, that system he runs doesn't even work against the SEC, it translates into a monstrous fail in the NFL. Some mega-Special person team will throw crazy dollars at him and buy him out after 2 years...pray it isn't the Bears.

Oh I agree with you. I was just surprised that no one had mentioned him yet. It seems every year talk about hiring these big name coaches comes up for multiple teams, but how many times does the hiring of a big named coach of the past actually work out? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Cowher has been out of football for a few years now and so has Gruden. While these coaches achieved more than Lovie has so far, why is it an automatic that they would be better than he is? I do believe that it is about time the Bears go in a different direction, I am just not sold on these coaches. If the Bears are one and done in the playoffs, or miss the playoffs entirely I believe Lovie should be fired. I just don't know who should replace him, and that is why I don't make the big bucks.

BearsMod1

Liked Posts:
reports coming out Gruden might go back to Raiders.

emery hire Gruden

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I have never understood the Chip Kelly to the NFL angle. Nothing about his credentials translates to the NFL.

Didn't you see the recent article touting his advice to Bellichick? I thought that was amusing :)

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Didn't you see the recent article touting his advice to Bellichick? I thought that was amusing :)

I live on Jersey side of Philly. Eagles fans and radio show hosts even go nuts over the fact that Bellichick visited him and looked at his offense.

What does that tell an even-keeled fan? Nothing. He wanted to see it. Maybe he wanted to put in a new page in his playbook to catch someone off guard.

To desparate Eagle fans, it validated Kelley. Something about rose-tinted glasses ...

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lovie does shoulder some of the blame. I can't really fault him for the last debacle(s) of OC hirings.

Who wants to go be a OC where they have left the coaching staff in place only to change the GM...and the prior...who would really want to come to be the OC when the GM at the time basically comes out publically and gives not one bit of vocal confidence that the HC will be there the following year. Unless you are retiring from coaching, it's hard to want to come here for a long-term coaching job.

I was frustrated with his reluctance to shitcanTurner and still have no clue on why Drake is still here.
The carousel of bad ocs has really hurt this team during an era where it consistently had the defense and st to contend. I think the Mcaskeys get most of the blame, for hanging onto JA. No solid established candidate wanted in when sweeping regime change was always just one losing season away. They have been the laughing stock of the nfl when no well qualified oc candidates even applied, and they ended up hiring the leftovers.

One other thing: If the Bears fail to make the playoffs and Emery pulls the switch he better prioritize re-signing Cutler. Neither Gruden nor any other top prospect hc will sign with a team with a question mark at qb.

Giant Panda

Liked Posts:
He'd make a better offense for Cutler then Tice and Lovie. That's for sure

Punished

Liked Posts:
Gruden had a style to win one Sb and needed to switch teams to do it, then he quit when he couldn't duplicate that.

Look at the years after the Sb in TB..Gruden wasn't that great...probably why he left...

Punished

Liked Posts:
He'd make a better offense for Cutler then Tice and Lovie. That's for sure

Bullshit! Talent is the key. Lovie and Turner made the Sb with talent. If they had a QB in 2006 we all would be saying Lovie sucks after winning a SB

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Gruden had a style to win one Sb and needed to switch teams to do it, then he quit when he couldn't duplicate that.

Look at the years after the Sb in TB..Gruden wasn't that great...probably why he left...

LOL, They were in cap hell and couldn't draft anyone because of the trade that brought him there.

Giant Panda

Liked Posts:
Gruden lead a talented Raiders team before the owners forced him out.