OT Roger Goodell floats idea to remove the kickoff entirely.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Whatever Devin Hester hasnt been worth a shit this year so remove it..

JaySix

Liked Posts:
Add a new part to the scouting combine: the hard count exercise where the QB shows off his talent to lure the D offsides on that 4th and 15...... Sigh, why not just keep all elements of the game and go flag football?

MidwestDichotomy

Liked Posts:
I fucking hate Goodell. This guy is going to be worse for the NFL than Stern was for the NBA, and that's pretty bad. He's going to completely ruin football.

OT, but how was Stern bad for the NBA? When he took over as commissioner, the NBA Finals were broadcast on tape delay, because no one wanted to carry them live in prime time. Now the league is surpassed only by soccer in international popularity. That's a job well done to me.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
OT, but how was Stern bad for the NBA? When he took over as commissioner, the NBA Finals were broadcast on tape delay, because no one wanted to carry them live in prime time. Now the league is surpassed only by soccer in international popularity. That's a job well done to me.

I could see the NBA going international moreso than the NFL. Hell, I think MLB can do it as well. Because there is more interest in Baseball and Basketball internationally because all you need for those sports really are a stick and a ball, or a ball and something to act as a hoop. Its stuff poor people in 3rd world countries can scrounge up to play, thus creating interest in the sport.

Whereas things like Hockey and Football tend to be more localized in popularity to regions where parents can afford the equipment necessary to play.

It all starts with the kids.

paytonisgod

Liked Posts:
After my initial knee-jerk revulsion at the idea of no kick offs, I took some time to think about it, and I'm starting to think this might actually be better for teams like ours more so than the current rules for kickoffs.

Currently something like 80% or so of kickoffs are touchbacks thanks to them moving up the kicking line. With kickers seemingly getting stronger legs this may make that percentage higher in the future. And even if it is not a touchback, or a short kick, you take a risk that bringing it out won't even get you back to the 20.

If you were to go with the proposed punting scenario this is much less likely to result in a touchback. This gives an advantage to those teams with good ST. To add to that since you no longer have to practice kickoff formations the ST unit can concentrate on perfecting the punt formation.

While I would prefer to go back to the old rules (or maybe a modified college rule), this could actually work in our favor (for once).

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Apparently the national media isn't entirely opposed to the idea, but I detest removing the kickoff with every fiber of my being. We don't even need to talk about the 4th and 15 idea. It's pathetic to have a commissioner who wants to float such ideas. I always thought his job was the preservation of the league. Get down to business and fix insurance and all of the lawsuits. I hope he's canned after this year.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm kinda warming up to this also, not the 4th and 15 idea, but the possibility of stopping the kickoffs. It's the one play that creates the most injuries so I can see the " why", I'm just not sold on the "how".

DwightSchrute

Liked Posts:
When the NFL changed the line of scrimmage for kickoffs to increase touchbacks, New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick derisively said that it was only a matter of time before the NFL eliminated kickoffs entirely. He believed that's what the NFL wanted to do.

Belichick might wind up being proven right.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said that he's taken it under consideration6
"It's an off-the-wall idea. It's different and makes you think differently. It did me," Goodell told TIME in a cover story for the Dec. 17 issue.

Even more intriguing is an alternative concept promoted by Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano. Goodell met with the NFL competition committee chairman about the concept.

"After a touchdown or field goal, instead of kicking off, a team would get the ball on its own 30-yard line, where it's fourth and 15," TIME's Sean Gregory writes. "The options are either to go for it and try to retain possession or punt. If you go for it and fall short, of course, the opposing team would take over with good field position. In essence, a punt replaces the kickoffs."

It's an interesting idea. We haven't seen the numbers that punts are that much safer than kickoffs, but the NFL must have the data to support the notion if they were considering it.

The implications for strategy are even more intriguing. If a team is trailing by more than one score very late in the fourth quarter, they likely would to try to go for it on fourth-and-15 instead of punting. That's not an easy situation to convert, but the concept would still make it easier to make a comeback without ever giving the ball back to an opponent.

[video=youtube;5FshjP86EEg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FshjP86EEg[/video]

Justin Heras

Liked Posts:
I have the perfect idea on how to fix this whole kick off problem... Just kick Goodell to the curb. Problem solved.

BearsMod1

Liked Posts:
why the fuck is this OT?

are the bears going to be exempt from this rule?

Chitown777

Liked Posts:
I always wondered if there was double reasoning behind this. Not just safety, but economics also.

If the NFL is serious about possibly removing aspects of special teams, this could counter-balance the idea of increasing roster sizes for teams. I wonder if there are even owners who like the idea of doing away with special teams entirely, eliminating the need for back-ups to be proficient in these areas.

Roster sizes could potentially even be reduced.

Great point. In the end, money is what the owners are always thinking.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Seconded on great point

OmiyalePants

More pink bars means
Liked Posts:
After my initial knee-jerk revulsion at the idea of no kick offs, I took some time to think about it, and I'm starting to think this might actually be better for teams like ours more so than the current rules for kickoffs.

Currently something like 80% or so of kickoffs are touchbacks thanks to them moving up the kicking line. With kickers seemingly getting stronger legs this may make that percentage higher in the future. And even if it is not a touchback, or a short kick, you take a risk that bringing it out won't even get you back to the 20.

If you were to go with the proposed punting scenario this is much less likely to result in a touchback. This gives an advantage to those teams with good ST. To add to that since you no longer have to practice kickoff formations the ST unit can concentrate on perfecting the punt formation.

While I would prefer to go back to the old rules (or maybe a modified college rule), this could actually work in our favor (for once).
I'll bet that at least 95% of these new punts end up being fair catches.

OmiyalePants

More pink bars means
Liked Posts:

The NBA's popularity in America has declined due to the quality of the game deteriorating as a result of rule changes.

dawags

Liked Posts:
This is all just another attempt by Goodell to quash all debate as to .....worst NFL commissioner of all time!

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is all just another attempt by Goodell to quash all debate as to .....worst NFL commissioner of all time!

Gary Bettman is offended by this statement

Edit - saw NFL after ... My bad