What Are You Playing Right Now? (Gaming Thread)

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Finally got to finish Torchlight. There's a proper 3x res everything pack free on modsites. But it looks good already.

I grabbed Torchlight 2. People say it's way better, so I'm stoked to try it, because the first one was properly good. From the makers of Diablo 1 and 2, so if you like those, you'll love these.

im not the biggest arpg(diablo, torchlight, etc) fan, but i did put like 250 hours into path of exile somehow, and like 100 into tl2. i got my one character to l99 and was right at the end of a play through about to hit max 100 and then just had enough, never picking it back up.

anyway just finished a game called observer. its a cyber punk horror/detective game and while the pacing isnt always great and the gameplay is very simplistic, and isnt quite enough to carry a 10 hour game, its still an impressive title. the mood and atmosphere are excellent and they story, while i wish was a little more fleshed out, went some interesting places.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I'll definitely check out path of exile at some point. I'm trying to avoid living in any game, just casually play, beat it, and then rinse&repeat. My problem is, if I start to really love a game, then I'm going to start hacking it, building mods, and I definitely do not have time for that.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hearts of Iron 4.... it has taken me a few hours, but I think I have a decent grasp of the game.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
tried just cause 3 since i loved mad max and its the same dev, but its kind of boring, so i moved onto divinity original sin 2. even though the first turned into a tedious slog and i never finished it. im hoping the second is better with a better balance of RPing vs combat.

edit: think im already done with dos2, im not far in at all, but as i should have known its really more of the same. i know people love it but i really dont care for the combat in these games. its just slow and tedious imo.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
tried dark souls 3. i seem to have hit a bit of a rough patch in regards to finding a game i want to play. though i shouldnt really be surprised as i was giving games a chance that i wasnt too interested in to begin with.

i tried just cause 3 just because, and its rather dull, gave original sin 2 a shot hoping it wasnt more of the same... it was. and i tried dark souls 3 knowing at best it would be more of the same. even though i loved the first 2 games, after 130 hours or so of dark souls i had little interest in more dark souls. i was hoping it would rekindle the fire but i just dont find myself caring enough to put in the effort so im bored and sucking at the game. and what isnt more of the same as changed for the worse since combat is much faster now and i dont care for it.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am rounding the learning curve on Hearts of Iron 4.... Fleet/Army building/management is probably my last major hurdle.

It is a fun game, but like anything this big I imagine the player base that will spend hours learning the game so they can enjoy it, is small.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
ive never been able to get into rts/strategy games.

i think games that are solely about gameplay have a hard time connecting with me because i like mood and atmosphere and discovering new locations.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

i think games that are solely about gameplay have a hard time connecting with me because i like mood and atmosphere and discovering new locations.

Your gaming palette is not refined like mine.

:troll:

AussieBear

rts be fun until you play online and run into a 12 yr old south korean who dont blink...

i be guess it depends on what you were introduced to when you was younga.. i be had two older bros who played different genres.... but combined, they played everything..

the art of almost.

a once up and coming thick one with the name to drive dat search.. her name siri...

QOpmviE.gif

15241544.gif

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
rts be fun until you play online and run into a 12 yr old south korean who dont blink...

i be guess it depends on what you were introduced to when you was younga.. i be had two older bros who played different genres.... but combined, they played everything..

Things have also grown in the strategy game realm.... everything isn't purely the C&C or Starcraft style RTS like you think about with Korean kids who don't blink.

Hearts of Iron 4 and Stellaris are 4X.... 4X games tend to be much larger and have a learning curve far beyond your ordinary RTS.

Then you have Total War games which are turn-based campaign with real-time battles, I am not sure how these get classified.

Then you have whatever the fuck Dawn of War 2 was.... squad-based RPG RTS?

And then you have non-war (or mostly non-war) strategy games where you are building economy... The Guild games... Anno games.... they are real-time, but not the same mode as your old Starcraft/C&C build base, gather resources, build army, destroy other base.

What most, if not all, of these games have in common is that you need to be able to learn controls/systems and both be able to micro-manage and figure out how to exploit the controls/systems to reduce how much micro-managing you do, so you can focus on larger/more important efforts.

AussieBear

Things have also grown in the strategy game realm.... everything isn't purely the C&C or Starcraft style RTS like you think about with Korean kids who don't blink.

Hearts of Iron 4 and Stellaris are 4X.... 4X games tend to be much larger and have a learning curve far beyond your ordinary RTS.

Then you have Total War games which are turn-based campaign with real-time battles, I am not sure how these get classified.

Then you have whatever the fuck Dawn of War 2 was.... squad-based RPG RTS?

And then you have non-war (or mostly non-war) strategy games where you are building economy... The Guild games... Anno games.... they are real-time, but not the same mode as your old Starcraft/C&C build base, gather resources, build army, destroy other base.

What most, if not all, of these games have in common is that you need to be able to learn controls/systems and both be able to micro-manage and figure out how to exploit the controls/systems to reduce how much micro-managing you do, so you can focus on larger/more important efforts.

yeah i play different types of rts.. just using sc online as an rts funny frustration example .. the only 4x i really gotten into be civ and age of wonder. have played a few others but not like those titles....been playing the civ series for a long time.. since the late 90s.. still haven't played 6 yet.. just not in the everyday gaming mode like i use to be.. where i need all day latest games and put months into them....7d2d tapped into me old hardcore gamer self fer a minute..

anno got boring fer me quick.. played 1701 way more than say 2205 n havent kept up..

was finally getting into company of heroes but it was interrupted by something.. maybe 7d27.. now i dont wanna play anything.. mortal kombat x was fun fer a few days then meh.. ive been going through these phases a lot the last 5-7,8 years.. probably because ive been playing video games since at least 1982... earliest recorded picture of me playing donkey kong.. or attempting to play anyway.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
yeah i play different types of rts.. just using sc online as an rts funny frustration example .. the only 4x i really gotten into be civ and age of wonder. have played a few others but not like those titles....been playing the civ series for a long time.. since the late 90s.. still haven't played 6 yet.. just not in the everyday gaming mode like i use to be.. where i need all day latest games and put months into them....7d2d tapped into me old hardcore gamer self fer a minute..

anno got boring fer me quick.. played 1701 way more than say 2205 n havent kept up..

was finally getting into company of heroes but it was interrupted by something.. maybe 7d27.. now i dont wanna play anything.. mortal kombat x was fun fer a few days then meh.. ive been go through these phases a lot the last 5-7,8 years.. probably because ive been playing video games since at least 1982... earliest recorded picture of me playing donkey kong.. or attempting to play anyway.

You should just play 7D2D some more...

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone ever play Company of Heroes? Not new, but pretty cool WW2 game.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Anyone ever play Company of Heroes? Not new, but pretty cool WW2 game.

Company of Heroes and Dawn of War 1 were my 2 first loves of the new generation of RTS back then.

C&C/Starcraft were the first gen RTS for me, then CoH and DoW.

AussieBear

You should just play 7D2D some more...

if they ever finish da first one and release 7d2d 2.. maybe

the art of almost.

a once up and coming thick one with the name to drive dat search.. her name siri...

QOpmviE.gif

15241544.gif

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I thought I had Hearts of Iron 4 mostly figured out, but I keep finding out better ways to use various mechanisms within the game.

I've started over twice now and I might go for a 3rd try.

In my current game Russia capitulated in like Spring 1942... the Germans and Japanese each got half of Soviet territory.

I've got Britain going strong and Free France fighting in Africa with many smaller allies.... Greece, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa.

Germany invaded the Swiss and took them down in like 1 month which is kinda bullshit.... the Swiss had the terrain and defenses to make that invasion a real pain for Germany to pull off quickly.

Italy/Germany/Vichy France went HAM early af in Africa... it is Summer 1942 and I just got my 1st army there with 10 divisions and I started steamrolling them, but now they pivoted to fighting me mostly and have my 10 divisions spread thin... there had been like 10-20 allied divisions on the ground and half of them peeled off when I showed up and left me to do all the fighting.

I am tempted to send my Patton armored divisions and the half-built 4th army to South Africa and then I could steam roll most if not all of Africa, but that would be pretty much all my armies for the Atlantic and not even at full strength, all committed to Africa. But if I do, I don't get any of that territory...it would all revert to Britain/Free France I believe.

On the one hand I kinda wanna play this scenario out and on the other I want to start a 3rd game where I follow all the best practices.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
been playing final fantasy 15. its pretty good. ive never been a huge ff fan, but ive played through 5,10, and then played a bit of some others. theres always been things i liked about them, but then things i didnt care for. usually typical jrpg trappings such as ridiculous art direction, random encounters, over the top spectacle, grindy structure, etc.

with ffvx theyve some how evolved the franchise despite things actually being very simple. combat is simplistic, quests are simplistic, and the game should probably be a tedious chore, but its not, its addictive and fun. its much more than a sum of its parts. also theres little touches i find really impressive, with the devs being self aware of the series itself. such as a game in the FF series(again, known for its over the top spectacle) opening with the hero pushing a broken down car. or a character humming the classic victory tune after big battles. and even the exaggerated style of the characters being self referenced when entering the first big town one of the characters comments on how stylish everyone is(though the npcs are dressed in dull as can be attire) while "were stuck in drab black." and then another character says "show some respect you your official royal attire."

and graphically its impressive. its the first game that at 1080p pushes my 1080. maxed out itll dip below 60fps when things get demanding. even a 1080ti struggles at 1440p. granted thats the result of the gameworks features and with those off my card has no problem staying above 60, but still...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
War Thunder.....free game good graphics.....fun tank and plane shooter

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Still on Fortnite. Have had some awesome sessions with some old CCS'ers.

Can't wait to get MLB The Show.