Blackhawks Acquire Handzus

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419610

The San Jose Sharks have traded forward Michal Handzus to the Chicago Blackhawks.

In exchange for the 36-year-old centre, the Sharks will receive a fourth-round draft pick.

In 28 games this season for the Sharks, Handzus as one goal and one assist as well as a minus-9 rating.

The Banska Bystrica, Slovakia native was in his second season with the Sharks after posting seven goals and 17 assists in 67 games during the 2011-2012 season.

He was originally drafted by the St. Louis Blues in the fourth round, 101st overall of the 1995 NHL Entry Draft.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
A nice depth trade and didn't give up a whole lot. He should slide into the 4c spot and will help big time on faceoffs. Not going to put the Blackhawks over the top by any means but should be an improvement. Would think that Kruger slides over to wing with this move (or possibly Shaw if Kruger moves up depending on several factors).

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think this could make Bolland expendable

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Besides faceoffs, he moves like a slug on the ice..meh whatever.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
-0.5 Point Shares, 1 Goal, 1 Assist... good thing we only gave up a 4th rounder, yuck...

I don't think this makes Bolland any more expendable, hopefully Handzus is just going to be an extra man on the roster.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
-0.5 Point Shares, 1 Goal, 1 Assist... good thing we only gave up a 4th rounder, yuck...

I don't think this makes Bolland any more expendable, hopefully Handzus is just going to be an extra man on the roster.

He wasn't brought in for point shares or to put up points so there is no use in looking at those when figuring out what he will do for this team. Can Frolik's role and play be measured through points and point share? Handzus' role is fourth line center, win faceoffs, play the PK, and possibly in front of the net on PP.

This isn't a sexy move by any means but it does help make the team better (even if a little) and check off a box in the faceoff category. A step in the right direction.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He wasn't brought in for point shares or to put up points so there is no use in looking at those when figuring out what he will do for this team. Can Frolik's role and play be measured through points and point share? Handzus' role is fourth line center, win faceoffs, play the PK, and possibly in front of the net on PP.

This isn't a sexy move by any means but it does help make the team better (even if a little) and check off a box in the faceoff category. A step in the right direction.

a 4th line center at this point is not going to make or break this team. I dont care how good his faceoffs are he is still an irrelevant player to this team. There is bad depth and good depth. we have bad depth. If they obtain a 2c and hossa and sharp comeback ok most nights hanz will be a healthy scratch. Its just a move and a pretty irrelevant one.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
a 4th line center at this point is not going to make or break this team. I dont care how good his faceoffs are he is still an irrelevant player to this team. There is bad depth and good depth. we have bad depth. If they obtain a 2c and hossa and sharp comeback ok most nights hanz will be a healthy scratch. Its just a move and a pretty irrelevant one.

There is a reason the Ducks (another top contender) just acquired a guy who basically does the same thing in Steckel.

It is a small move but it checks off one of the boxes (faceoffs) and should help the Blackhawks be a better team...no matter how little it helps, it still helps and that is a positive.

Blackhawks had Madden at 4c during the cup run and he played important minutes and took important faceoffs. Hopefully Handzus will/can do the same.

As I said, not a sexy move but one that helps and is a step in the right direction. No move is irrelevant at this point if it helps the team, even in the smallest of ways.

EDIT: By the way, in no way do I think this is a great deal or puts the Blackhawks over the top. It adds a faceoff guy who should be able to play the 4c line though and that was a need. Bigger needs are still out there to be addressed, but who knows if that will be possible with the prices. I'm fine with this move, it is a hockey move and Handzus should fit into the 4c role nicely. He may be a healthy scratch against real fast teams (his speed is not up there) but I imagine him being used like Steckel or even Gaustad are for the most part.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

:homer:

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:

Pavelski averages 1:39 in TOI and Handzus averages 1:59 in TOI per game for the PK. In total time (the stat that showed up on your link), Pavelski is ahead of Handzus, because he has played more games.

Ducks use Steckel on the PK. He takes the faceoff and if he wins it (he usually does) he skates off the ice. If not, he stays out on the PK and does fine. Pretty much how I see Handzus playing out.

Blackhawks needed another PK/Faceoff guy and hopefully he can give them a good 8 - 10 minutes a night. Should help, even if it is just a little.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To me its just kind of a waste. Can a guy like Ott be that expensive? A faceoff guy that can actually still play. I actually liked Handzus game when he was here for a cup of coffee a few years ago....but he has slowed to a snailspace now. Should've saved the pick to be part of a deal for Ott or even Roy.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
To me its just kind of a waste. Can a guy like Ott be that expensive? A faceoff guy that can actually still play. I actually liked Handzus game when he was here for a cup of coffee a few years ago....but he has slowed to a snailspace now. Should've saved the pick to be part of a deal for Ott or even Roy.

I don't know if Ott is available, but if he is he will be expensive. The type of player every team loves to have and he has another year left on his contract which always drives the price up because he isn't a rental.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Personally, I don't hate the move. I hope we're not finished, but I like not being pretty sure we're going to lose faceoffs on the 4th line. :shrug:

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Handzus ain't a 3C. So, no.

Agreed...Shaw and Kruger are probably the reason why Bolland is going to be shown the door (most likely in the offseason). Maybe even Danault or McNeill in the somewhat future. Shaw/Kruger have stepped up their games this year and will cost approximately 1/3 the cap hit of Bolland (probably the biggest reason why I think Bolland will be gone is his cap hit).