Does Soriano make the hall?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lol its fun seeing you worked up.

I'm not worked up.

I'm just waiting to hear any sort of logical argument for Soriano being a HOF'er.

So far your counter arguments have consisted of Darwin Barney had a good WAR rating once(lulz) and Soriano had a nice arm while standing out among juicers despite him trailing such talented juices as Greg Vaughn in career OPS+.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, if Soriano hits 400 homers and gets 300 stolen bases he will be the fifth player in history to do it. Two are in the hall and the other two are Barry Bonds and Alex Rodiguez. Good lord, he should not be in any discussion.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not worked up.

I'm just waiting to hear any sort of logical argument for Soriano being a HOF'er.

So far your counter arguments have consisted of Darwin Barney had a good WAR rating once(lulz) and Soriano had a nice arm while standing out among juicers despite him trailing such talented juices as Greg Vaughn in career OPS+.

Don't let the fact that I named a list of his accomplishments that he has achieved. None of the other players you have named have achieved the same. But, keep on trucking little engine.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So, if Soriano hits 400 homers and gets 300 stolen bases he will be the fifth player in history to do it. Two are in the hall and the other two are Barry Bonds and Alex Rodiguez. Good lord, he should not be in any discussion.

Correct.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Don't let the fact of the rest of his accomplishments he has achieved that none of the other players you have name have ever achieved. But, keep on trucking little engine.

Like what?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He's got 10 Stolen Bases this year. That's almost as many as he has had the previous 3 seasons combined. Perhaps he knows he needs another 20 to be in that discussion! :lol:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

He will be discussed briefly before falling off the ballot within three years.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/soriaal01.shtml

As a slightly above-average offensive talent (the home runs are great but the dude just doesn't get on base) at a non-premium position these days, he's going to get a few looks but ultimately he's not nearly as good as Andre Dawson was, and Dawson had a relatively weak case for the HOF himself. Soriano had a good enough career and that's nothing to be ashamed of. Not everyone deserves to get into the HOF.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Let's compare:
bWAR is in ()
Barry Bonds: 762 HR's 514 steals(162.5)
Alex Rodriguez: 647 HR's 318 steals(115.5)
Willie Mays: 660 HRs 338 steals (156.1)
Andre Dawson: 438 Home Runs 314 steals (64.4)

Alfonso Soriano: 400 Home Runs(assumed), 300 steals(assumed) (27.2)

Wow. Which one of this is not like the other?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let's compare:
bWAR is in ()
Barry Bonds: 762 HR's 514 steals(162.5)
Alex Rodriguez: 647 HR's 318 steals(115.5)
Willie Mays: 660 HRs 338 steals (156.1)
Andre Dawson: 438 Home Runs 314 steals (64.4)

Alfonso Soriano: 400 Home Runs(assumed), 300 steals(assumed) (27.2)

Wow. Which one of this is not like the other?

Lol WAR what is it good for? Absolutely nothing! lol The be all end all stat that most posters don't even understand how it works and its fallacies.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lol WAR what is it good for? Absolutely nothing! lol The be all end all stat that most posters don't even understand how it works and its fallacies.

Care to post any others that support Soriano in the HOF? I'm not seeing any.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

Whether or not you believe in WAR, the fact is that at one point or another you can point to those names and say "that is most likely an all-time great" (except maybe Dawson, who was pretty good). You can't really do that with Alfonso Soriano. Baseball is hard and there's no shame in having a solid enough career that it got the Cubs to give you millions of dollars, but HOF is really pushing it.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Care to post any others that support Soriano in the HOF? I'm not seeing any.

Did you even read the first page or are your eyes hurting from dungeons and dragons last night?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whether or not you believe in WAR, the fact is that at one point or another you can point to those names and say "that is most likely an all-time great" (except maybe Dawson, who was pretty good). You can't really do that with Alfonso Soriano. Baseball is hard and there's no shame in having a solid enough career that it got the Cubs to give you millions of dollars, but HOF is really pushing it.

His numbers at the end put him in the discussion. His defense would keep him out, but not his bat. His bat can match up to a lot of players. I don't think he gets in but he deserves consideration. He is also going to fly past the known roid users.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I understand Soriano is a very good player, but very good players get consideration.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Yeah. I don't get it. Soriano was good for a while. Awesome. He hasn't been an elite player since 2006 really. His peak was incredibly short(3 elite years in 15 seasons) and he's hung around playing awful defense, not getting on base and smacking some HR's every once and a while. Good for Soriano. He's not a HOF'er though. Dawson doesn't have the strongest offensive case but the guys was a top level defender for a decade and one of the best players in the NL for a decade and a half.