Causation vs. Correlation

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
People are excited about the 2-0 start and rightfully praising Trestman. I just tire of the mindless chorus that the team would be 0-2 with Lovie.

Every good thing that happens under his watch is not caused by MT. A ten win team added 4 new OL and a new TE. Why are people so sure the new coach is the cause of the better result?

Why are we still talking about Lovie Smith? I wish the Lovie fans would just let it go.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
I don't recall reading that or hearing that anywhere.

That being said, the offense is better and I mean much better. If Lovie was here I have to assume Tice would be here, nuff said.

either Tice or yet another terrible OC, Jay's 7th OC, and his 6th straight terrible one under the Lovester!

and we would also still have several sub-par offensive players (Webb, K. Davis, etc.)

Emory and now Trestman are both a huge improvement over Lovie and Angelo.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
I think we would be 1-1 with Lovie right now.

agreed, but perhaps 0-2. we'd never have come back w/the Lovester in charge... never, unless the defense scored the winning TD, certainly not our offense.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
It's tough to know with all the meatheads out there. I know that the callers to sports talk are mostly dumb and hosts aren't that much better but damn it, I can't help being annoyed by the mindless BS spouting.

I think the offense is way better and I am confident that Trestman is better than Tice but some of those losses were so close that I have to think a better O-line and TE would make Tice look much better.

Dude! Tice was the one saying he could work magic w/what he had, that Webb was so athletic and how he astounded him w/his athleticism, that Tice didn't need top draft picks to make a great offensive line... Tice was a friggin' NFL tight end. if he couldn't make a difference w/K. Davis' terrible blocking and receiving, or didn't speak up about needing to replace him or the other bad OLinemen, then as OC/OL coach, he was a contributor to the problem, not a victim of what he had...

seriously, good friggin' grief, JDB!

discplayer

Liked Posts:
That was Lovie's last hurrah and ever since his contract extension post-SB he was given higher drafting authority. Emery did not have his own scouts and was forced to use the existing system in place. Its not a truly fair assessment of Emery at that point. This year's draft on the other hand is exclusively on the man.

this, and how!

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
People are excited about the 2-0 start and rightfully praising Trestman. I just tire of the mindless chorus that the team would be 0-2 with Lovie.

Every good thing that happens under his watch is not caused by MT. A ten win team added 4 new OL and a new TE. Why are people so sure the new coach is the cause of the better result?
Lovie would have kept Tice who loved Carimi and Webb, thus we wouldn't have 4 new OL starting. Kromer would not have left the Saints to come be the OC for a lame duck coach like Lovie, the whole offense would be different. I get tired of always comparing everything to Lovie but truthfully the defense is not the reason the team is 2-0. Good offensive play calling and discipline have been the difference.

Lovie was clueless about offense and made terrible decisions when hiring coaches (Terry Shea, Mike Martz, Turner, Tice) or wanting to bring in old injury prone players that he was loyal to (Orlando Pace, Archuletta, Pisa Tinoisamoa). He was a good coach but it was time for him to go.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There's no way to know this stuff. They are different games with Lovie. Would the D be better, special teams? I prefer where we're at now but that sort of speculation is just silly.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Dude! Tice was the one saying he could work magic w/what he had, that Webb was so athletic and how he astounded him w/his athleticism, that Tice didn't need top draft picks to make a great offensive line... Tice was a friggin' NFL tight end. if he couldn't make a difference w/K. Davis' terrible blocking and receiving, or didn't speak up about needing to replace him or the other bad OLinemen, then as OC/OL coach, he was a contributor to the problem, not a victim of what he had...

seriously, good friggin' grief, JDB!
Tice was the main one who wanted Carimi, he was friends with BearJews family and everything and had known him since he was young. No way would he have replaced his star pupil Webb and his personal choice Carimi. We likely wouldn't have Long and Mills this year if Tice was still here. Kromer wanted Long as a Guard based on Kromer's scheme that places more importance on Guards than tackles. That wouldn't be the case with Lovie and Tice and Cutler would have been sacked at least 5 times by now.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well lets see. Lovie Smith wasted time outs and challenges. Trestman won his first and only challenge. This Trestman coached team has come up with ZERO pre-snap penalties. Something unheard of from any offense we have put out on the field including Jay Cutler. The fact we have shifted from having a defensive minded coach to now an offensive minded coach means we don't have to put our hopes and wishes on a defensive turnover and/or score to come back and win a game. Lovie would frequently say after a loss that he didn't coach the team well enough or prepare them well enough for *insert team name here*. This is not something I would ever expect to see from a Trestman led team that focuses on all of the details. Trestman has his hands on every player on the roster and all phases. He may be known as an offensive mind but even he himself said that a HC has too many responsibilities on game day to be just worrying about one part of the team. I am sure there are more reasons I can come up with if I was not at work posting in between working.

Maybe they have zero pre snap penalities because they have better lineman, lol. Let's be real, the biggest culprits when it came to pre snap penalties are all gone unless you are telling me Roberto Garza got a lot of pre-snap penalties.

And I can guarantee that at some point this season when the Bears lose, Trestman if he has any sense will blame himself or lack of preparation. Every coach does so at some point.

Having said that I think Trestman is better for Jay and the offense overall but he also has more talent to work with. I am not sure though that Tice would still be the OC as if Emery kept Lovie, he probably would have insisted Lovie find a real OC. I also think the defense would be better. So in the end who knows what our record would be. I think it is pointless to speculate.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's no way to know this stuff. They are different games with Lovie. Would the D be better, special teams? I prefer where we're at now but that sort of speculation is just silly.

That is my point exactly.i have been surprised at how often people stop the Trestman love fest to take an unnecessary sideswipe at Lovie.

I was out of town during the last regime change and the podcast wasn't invented. Did people spend so much time taking shots at Jauron?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes. He should thank Mike Brown for ever getting re-signed. LOL

That said, I don't know what his record would be right now either.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe they have zero pre snap penalities because they have better lineman, lol. Let's be real, the biggest culprits when it came to pre snap penalties are all gone.

And I can guarantee that at some point this season when the Bears lose, Trestman if he has any sense will blame himself or lack of preparation. Every coach does so at some point.

Having said that I think Trestman is better for Jay and the offense overall but he also has more talent to work with. I am not sure though that Tice would still be the OC as if Emery kept Lovie, he probably would have insisted Lovie find a real OC. I also think the defense would be better. So in the end who knows what our record would be. I think it is pointless to speculate.

Are you seriously suggesting that an offensive line consisting of 4 new starters, 2 of which are rookies, having 0 pre-snap penalties has nothing to do with coaching? Christ on a cracker....

I am sure that all the times Trestman would toss the starting offense off the practice field during training camp from pre-snap penalties had nothing to do with the current state of the offensive line. I mean not a fuckin thing....

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Are you seriously suggesting that an offensive line consisting of 4 new starters, 2 of which are rookies, having 0 pre-snap penalties has nothing to do with coaching? Christ on a cracker....

2 of those starters are vets and one of those vets is intimately familiar with the system. Not sure why I would expect them to have pre snap penalties. Long and Mills both played in up tempo systems at Oregon and Louisiana Tech in which they are used to quick play calling. Finally, we have yet to play in a really loud environment like say the Seahwaks home.

So sure I can make some broad generalization that since they are new it must mean they should struggle with this stuff or I can look at this and see 2 vets and 2 rookies uniquely suited to playing in up tempo offenses none of whom appear to be head cases like Webb, Davis, Rachel, and Spencer were.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think you're right about the penalties, Xero, not so much about the record. Our O generally came out of the preseason with more pre snap penalties than later in the year so that assumption holds some water. Not that your wrong but that there's no way to determine anything about the records.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
2 of those starters are vets and one of those vets is intimately familiar with the system. Not sure why I would expect them to have pre snap penalties. Long and Mills both played in up tempo systems at Oregon and Louisiana Tech in which they are used to quick play calling. Finally, we have yet to play in a really loud environment like say the Seahwaks home.

So sure I can make some broad generalization that since they are new it must mean they should struggle with this stuff or I can look at this and see 2 vets and 2 rookies uniquely suited to playing in up tempo offenses none of whom appear to be head cases like Webb, Davis, Rachel, and Spencer were.

Sure, ignore the entire part where Trestman literally removed the 1st team offensive from the practice field whenever there were pre-snap penalties during training camp. Then again of course that doesn't go along with your narrative. Don't even bother responding because I know this is headed nowhere.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sure, ignore the entire part where Trestman literally removed the 1st team offensive from the practice field whenever there were pre-snap penalties during training camp. Then again of course that doesn't go along with your narrative. Don't even bother responding because I know this is headed nowhere.

I am not ignoring anything. You seemed to imply it is all Trestman and I am saying having good players obviously helps. I am not suggesting it is 100% down to the players. I am saying you can't ignore the fact that the players are much better and are potentially better suited for the type of offense being employed. Oregon and LA Tech both play up tempo high speed offenses that put a premium on not getting pre snap penalities. Highly possible the credit for Long and Mills goes to their college coaches as well. Bushrod is a Kromer guy and Slauson is a vet.

There is simply no real way to quantify how much of this is the result of coaching and how much of it is the result of the players since the entire line changed. Now with Cutler since it is the same guy I can see the argument that he looks to be playing better and saying that is the result of Trestman.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I am not ignoring anything. You seemed to imply it is all Trestman and I am saying having good players obviously helps. I am not suggesting it is 100% down to the players. I am saying you can't ignore the fact that the players are much better and are potentially better suited for the type of offense being employed. Oregon and LA Tech both play up tempo high speed offenses that put a premium on not getting pre snap penalities. Highly possible the credit for Long and Mills goes to their college coaches as well. Bushrod is a Kromer guy and Slauson is a vet.

There is simply no real way to quantify how much of this is the result of coaching and how much of it is the result of the players since the entire line changed. Now with Cutler since it is the same guy I can see the argument that he looks to be playing better and saying that is the result of Trestman.

Shut up remy.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Long has so little time in any O that it means nothing and a fast O has nothing to do with jumping off sides unless both are going on first noise. This is also a different O than they ran most of the time. They are rooks and rooks are just less reliable unless very well coached up. Can you quantify these things? Of course not but just because you are able to argue against common sense (in this case with some nonsense) doesn't make it worth doing. 4 guys including 2 rooks in a new system (mostly Trestman's not Kromer's) and new QB without a jump in 2 games is remarkable.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
Right now Lovie Smith would be between 0-2 and 2-0. It's impossible to know who his OC would be, what free agents would have been signed, and who would have been drafted.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Right now Lovie Smith would be between 0-2 and 2-0.

horseball.gif