What the fuck was Weems thinking? Part II

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well probably should of thought about that before you called my name. Now here we are.

images

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I don't remember that, you are not referring to that trick play we pulled which got called back where Hester ran to one side of the field acting like he was going for the punt but actually was just drawing all the defenders to him while Knox actually caught the punt and ran it back, only to be nullified by a hold?

If that's right, I got it askewd and wrong.

Fucking A on Tapatalk

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Correct me if I am wrong, but it wasn't a touch back because of anything Weems did. It was a touchback because they said the guy that stopped the ball from landing in the endzone was on the white line when he jumped? Weems made a heads up play in trying to pick it up to see if he could get a return (since it appeared the ball would be downed right by the goal line), but he didn't actually accomplish anything. Instead of a safety or touchback for the Vikings we elected to take the touchback from the first touch of the ball.

The situation is so rare, I doubt it can be exploited. Typically when the ball is touched it is downed. And I don't think you want to risk players being in the vicinity of the ball in that situation.

I think this is the part that is still somewhat unclear. As I understood it, I thought since the Vikings player illegally touched the ball while he and the ball were cross the goalline but in the air, it would have been downed at the 1, if another Vikings player had been able to get possession outside the end zone.

However, Weems interruppted the Vikings from doing so by touching it first so the ball reverts to the point of contact which was the end zone. So Weems touching it before another Vikings player is what created the touchback but his chucking it in the end zone was irrelevant.

Still not 100% on that though.

Frigidus

Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;4dFmZ7pW4eM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dFmZ7pW4eM[/video]

This one?

That was a load of bullshit. Funny how we continue to hear about the Megatron catch where he put the ball on the ground and the Seahawks gifted TD against the Packers years later but this has been entirely forgotten.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That was a load of bullshit. Funny how we continue to hear about the Megatron catch where he put the ball on the ground and the Seahawks gifted TD against the Packers years later but this has been entirely forgotten.

Yep... it was the Packers, so dear lord we gotta call phantom holding to make sure they are not at a disadvantage.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh wait, thought you were the one being the dick in post #26. In fact, I thought I quoted your dickish comment in my post...guess you didn't quite catch on to that one. Oh wait, its modo being his usually passive-aggressive self...

I'm not sure how you inferred I was being a dick. I simply said that wasn't a proper representation of the play....When use exclamation marks!!!!!! BIG TEXT. or :troll:

smiley's then you know I'm being a dick.

Stalin828

Liked Posts:
I think this is the part that is still somewhat unclear. As I understood it, I thought since the Vikings player illegally touched the ball while he and the ball were cross the goalline but in the air, it would have been downed at the 1, if another Vikings player had been able to get possession outside the end zone.

However, Weems interruppted the Vikings from doing so by touching it first so the ball reverts to the point of contact which was the end zone. So Weems touching it before another Vikings player is what created the touchback but his chucking it in the end zone was irrelevant.

Still not 100% on that though.

That is definitely not it.

After looking into it here is what happened. It would have been downed on the 1 yard line. However, while attempting to recover it after Weems touch the Vikings last touched the ball and it went out the back of the endzone without anyone establishing possession. So, it was a great play by Weems to get the touchback instead of landing us on the 1 yd line. The Vikings were wrong to try and go for the ball as there was no way for a positive outcome.

C+HICAG+O

Liked Posts:
Do you not recall two/three years ago when the Bears did this same style play on a punt return?

Hester threw the punt across to Knox who was hidden off in the distance and he returned it for a touchdown. Only it was called back on a non existent holding call the ref threw since it seemed a hold because the blocker was letting the trick set up.

It was in some blowout loss, probably vs the Packers.

Fucking A on Tapatalk

It was against the Puke, but it was not the same style play. But as Ares states on a preceding page, it was a directional punt, toward the left side of the offense. Knox was lined up to that side and sprinted back to catch the ball, while the kicking team followed Hester to the opposite side of the field. They had no idea which way the ball had gone, they just followed Hester...

There was, sadly, a hold on the play that called it back.
Otherwise, it was the greatest special teams play I've ever seen. If only the TD would have stood - I would heckle the Puke fans at work *EVERY* day about it!

dabearsjjk

Liked Posts:
That is definitely not it.

After looking into it here is what happened. It would have been downed on the 1 yard line. However, while attempting to recover it after Weems touch the Vikings last touched the ball and it went out the back of the endzone without anyone establishing possession. So, it was a great play by Weems to get the touchback instead of landing us on the 1 yd line. The Vikings were wrong to try and go for the ball as there was no way for a positive outcome.

what?

Vikings player tipped ball while in was in the endzone. (illegal)

Weems touched it next (botched kicked return)

Dont matter where the ball lands or where the vikings get possession at it it would always be a touchback.

Why you ask?

Because depending on the scenario the Bears would elect to accept the penalty (illegal touch) and the penalty was in the end zone.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
what?

Dont matter where the ball lands or where the vikings get possession at it it would always be a touchback.

Why you ask?

Because depending on the scenario the Bears would elect to accept the penalty (illegal touch) and the penalty was in the end zone.

Since when in the NFL a player not able to leap into the end zone and bat the ball back before it hits down?

That's happened plenty of times, unless they changed the rule its legal and valid; as long as the player jumps before touching the end zone line.

So, if the Viking did jump and bat it down... And it stopped or was picked up by a Viking at the 1/2 it would of been down at that spot.

Fucking A on Tapatalk

dabearsjjk

Liked Posts:
Since when in the NFL a player not able to leap into the end zone and bat the ball back before it hits down?

That's happened plenty of times, unless they changed the rule its legal and valid; as long as the player jumps before touching the end zone line.

So, if the Viking did jump and bat it down... And it stopped or was picked up by a Viking at the 1/2 it would of been down at that spot.

Fucking A on Tapatalk

Yes you are right.

However if a Bear picks it up before hand it erases any of that.

On NFL.com it has all the rules.

From what I understand....

The Kicking team must allow the receiving Team a chance to field the punt.
If the kick team does not allow them (touching the ball before the receiving team has a chance to feild it)
Its a illegal and a penalty.
The ball is down there the last player touched the ball closest to the line of scrimmage.

So..
Receiving team runs away from the ball (weems)
Vikes touch the ball in the endzone and bounce it out to the 1
Vikes grab it and down it 1

So..
Vikes touch the ball in the endzone and bounce it out to the 1 (illegal)
The then accidently kick it to the 15 yard line
Vikes grab it and down it at the 15

So..
Vikes touch the ball in the endzone and bounce it out to the 1
Weems grabs it
Weems fumbles it Now Weems had a chance to field it but he didn't.
Vikes get the ball
Wait - vikes didn't allow the Bears a chance to gain possesion first.
Penalty
It was last touched in the endzone

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
I was at the game and was wondering why more of the fans did not know this rule. It is a win situation for the returning team no matter what happens.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Basically this is the rule, if the kicking touches the ball first without downing it the returning team can pick up the ball and do whatever they want with it. They can fumble it and the kicking team can recover and it will still be the receiving team's ball no matter what. You can pick the ball up and hand it to an opposing team and it is still the receiving teams ball.

Stalin828

Liked Posts:
what?

Why you ask?

You are wrong. The Vikings player wasn't in the endzone as he was in the air. The reason it was a touchback is because Weems hit the ball then the Vikings went to recover it and knocked it out the back of the endzone without establishing possession. If they had established possession it would have been our choice between a Touchdown for the Vikings or taking the ball on the 1 yard line where it was last touched. Similarly if you are running with the ball then fumble it on the 1 yard line and it goes out the endzone it is a touchback.

If weems hit the ball and it went sideways without going out the back of the endzone and the Vikings recovered it would have been ball at the 1 yard line because Bears would get to choose between Bears ball at 1yd line or Vikigns ball at wherever they recovered.

paytonisgod

Liked Posts:
You are wrong. The Vikings player wasn't in the endzone as he was in the air. The reason it was a touchback is because Weems hit the ball then the Vikings went to recover it and knocked it out the back of the endzone without establishing possession. If they had established possession it would have been our choice between a Touchdown for the Vikings or taking the ball on the 1 yard line where it was last touched. Similarly if you are running with the ball then fumble it on the 1 yard line and it goes out the endzone it is a touchback.

If weems hit the ball and it went sideways without going out the back of the endzone and the Vikings recovered it would have been ball at the 1 yard line because Bears would get to choose between Bears ball at 1yd line or Vikigns ball at wherever they recovered.

I don't think this is quite right. I don't think it could ever be a TD for the Vikings. This is because everything after the punting team touches the ball is "part of the kick" or whatever the ref stated when he explained it. Only if Weems had gained possession of the ball and then fumbled it could the Vikings have gotten a TD in that scenario. Even if the ball had not gone out of bounds it was going to be a touchback.

I think this rule is in place so the kicking team can't intentionally bat the ball onto a player of the receiving team and then get possession back.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

According Weem's tweet the Vikings could not have gotten possession of the ball in the endzone. As soon as it went into the endzone it was a touchback.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
from weem's twitter

@MrDeads28 doesn't matter where I hit the ball there was no way possible they could score since they touched it first on a punt

dabearsjjk

Liked Posts:

Please go to NFL.com and read the rules

The illegal touch was done in the end zone. The player was in the air but the ball was over the plain.

Just like a TD. The player doesn't haven to be in the end zone