Bears work out ex-Lions safety Spievery, 7 others

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-chicago-bears-news-bears-work-out-amari-spievey-seven-other-players-20130917,0,7945885.story

Spievey spent most of 2012 season on IR

By Brad Biggs, Tribune reporter
5:35 p.m. CDT, September 17, 2013

The Chicago Bears put eight players through workouts on Tuesday at Halas Hall, according to an NFL source, including veteran safety Amari Spievey.

The Lions released Spievey last month after he appeared in 35 games for them. Drafted in the third round in 2010 as a cornerback, he was converted to safety and started 15 games in 2011 when the Lions reached the playoffs.

Spievey played in only five games last season and was placed on season-ending injured reserve following the game against the Bears in Week 7 after suffering his second concussion of the season. He made 117 tackles in three seasons for the Lions and five interceptions.

The workout included three other safeties: Brandan Bishop, who has spent time with the Vikings, Sean Cattouse and Chaz Powell. Center Nick McDonald, who spent parts of the last three years with the Patriots, and offensive tackle Rogers Gaines, an undrafted free agent who was with the Ravens in training camp, were also involved. The Bears also checked out defensive tackles Kheeston Randall, a seventh-round pick of the Dolphins last year, and Tracy Robertson, an undrafted free agent a year ago that has already spent time with four organizations.

The workouts are not necessarily an indication the Bears will be making a move with the 53-man roster. The team is regularly updating its emergency list and considering possible additions to the eight-man practice squad.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kerry Rhodes didn't get a workout?

discplayer

Liked Posts:
Spievey was a pretty solid Big Ten corner, in a bigger body, so had better coverage skills than your average safety. too bad about his 2nd concussion. but if he can avoid another, he'd be a solid pickup.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
but then there is the domestic charges against him that were eventually dismissed. i assume he and his girlfriend's attorneys settled out.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
but then there is the domestic charges against him that were eventually dismissed. i assume he and his girlfriend's attorneys settled out.

Kerry Rhodes never has domestic problems with girlfriends! :troll:

Seriously though, compare Rhodes stats to Speivey's stats. Its not even close. Rhodes must be getting ignored because of the rumors because his on field production is far superior.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

I don't think the problem is with his girlfriend... if you know what I mean:

kerry-rhodes-gay-media-takeout.jpg

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I don't remember Angelo ever doing this, maybe he did and I don't remember. I'm sure every team has an "emergency list", but do all, some, or any other teams have in season 8 player workouts like this?

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't remember Angelo ever doing this, maybe he did and I don't remember. I'm sure every team has an "emergency list", but do all, some, or any other teams have in season 8 player workouts like this?

Angelo did this too.every team brings in guys for Tuesday workouts. The margin in the league is thin. If Angelo hadn't missed on two 1st round Tackles he would be sitting right there at Halas hall, heck, if Cutler hadn't tried to tackle that guy, Angelo is still here. People have focused so much on his many misses that they talk like the guy didn't even do his job.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Kerry Rhodes never has domestic problems with girlfriends! :troll:

Seriously though, compare Rhodes stats to Speivey's stats. Its not even close. Rhodes must be getting ignored because of the rumors because his on field production is far superior.

If they wanted to have a sure starter type on their call list Rhodes would seem to mage sense. Spievery is still a young guy who would be a special teams player as well as safety.

Now why other teams have left Rhodes on the street is an interesting case. He played well on a good defense despite its offense last year.

Fucking A on Tapatalk

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Spievey was a pretty solid Big Ten corner, in a bigger body, so had better coverage skills than your average safety. too bad about his 2nd concussion. but if he can avoid another, he'd be a solid pickup.

Spievey sucks, period.