The only stat you need to understand the Bears defensive woes...

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's a chicken/egg argument. Yes, having no inside push allows the QB to step up, but outside pressure also brings the QB closer to the G/DT scrum and raises the QB anxiety level. Problem is the Bears have had neither. I am hoping Peppers is ready to bust out, but a player making $15 Million a year needs to be able to affect the game regardless of the players around him.

There is not one DE in the NFL that can consistently get sacks without help from the middle of the DL.

Can't believe people didn't learn this lesson after watching the same thing happen when Tommie Harris became ineffective in 08 and 09. Rest of the line was the same and all the sudden couldn't produce for shit and it made the whole D look bad. And it stayed that way until Melton started to emerge.

Cover 2 is absolutely dependent on having above average play from the UT.

Last edited:

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
All we have to do to fix the Dline is :
#1 Sign Anthony Adams
#2 Tell him there is 40# of BBq ribs ready to eat behind the QB

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Ok... ill take the bait...

DJ williams 4 total tackles...

Giant holes in the middle of the field...

I know you have a special addiction with DJ Williams but have you ever thought that maybe the defense line isnt performing the way they should be so thats why there are giant holes in the middle of the field?

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I know you have a special addiction with DJ Williams but have you ever thought that maybe the defense line isnt performing the way they should be so thats why there are giant holes in the middle of the field?

Just stating the obvious...

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
If there was anything to take away from Sundays blunder in Detroit....

Peppers had a very good game and I believe he'll take off from there the rest of the year for us. Look for #90 to have a big game on Sunday.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
There is not one DE in the NFL that can consistently get sacks without help from the middle of the DL.

Can't believe people didn't learn this lesson after watching the same thing happen when Tommie Harris became ineffective in 08 and 09. Rest of the line was the same and all the sudden couldn't produce for shit and it made the whole D look bad. And it stayed that way until Melton started to emerge.

Cover 2 is absolutely dependent on having above average play from the UT.
Not disagreeing that DT push is a huge need, but to say the DE below average start to the season is solely on the DT's is silly. Not one of the DE's have had a blow by beat on an OT this yr. Not 1. All 4 positions are married, to blame one more for the failure of the other is just wrong, esp. when you are blaming the below average play of mid-level players for the failure of super star players. Super stars are paid to be difference makers or they wouldn't be paid that way.

casinnova

Liked Posts:
I don't know what the "obvious" is. D.J. Williams has been just fine. Honestly your hatred for this guy is bordering on Rodney-esque behavior.

I miss urlacher. Defense would be better with him instead of DJ. Urlacher was old slow and couldn't get off blocks but he could read plays perfectly and was ALWAYS in the right spot making a tackle or assisting a tackle. DJ is a low effort bum.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
If there was anything to take away from Sundays blunder in Detroit....

Peppers had a very good game and I believe he'll take off from there the rest of the year for us. Look for #90 to have a big game on Sunday.

There were two other positives I took from the game as well: 1. the team showed some fight and never quit. 2. Jeffery had a break out game.

bubbashucker

Liked Posts:
I do not think the D was as terrible as it first seemed against Det.

Of the 40 they gave up, 21 were due to Offensive or ST blunders. Those 21 points were made by Det picking up a total of 13 yards.

The D only gave uo 3 second half points.

Other than a coouple of reggie bush runs, the D did not play that terrible.

If Cutler is going to to turn it over 4 times and theST gives up kick and punt returns, we will be in trouble.

If not the bears could win almost every game.f

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
A good/competent QB is going to sidestep that scrum and either take off and scramble or buy some more time and complete the pass.

That's why a collapsing pocket is so important...the QB more often than not will backpedal into a DE if the WR's aren't open.
The coverage isn't generating sacks, and that is a huge part of the woes.
the bears have given up 20+ yard pass plays on 24 out of 140 attempts.

The only teams that are close in that category are the broncos with 25, and they have been destroying teams early and giving up yardage in garbage time, and the Bills at 26 who are 5 games in and have defended 60 more pass attempts.

My fear this week is that the saints are absolute masters at the quick nickle and dime stuff and I dont see the bears getting to brees too often.

Daa Bearrs

Liked Posts:
I miss urlacher. Defense would be better with him instead of DJ. Urlacher was old slow and couldn't get off blocks but he could read plays perfectly and was ALWAYS in the right spot making a tackle or assisting a tackle. DJ is a low effort bum.

I miss Lach as well and agree with everything about your post with the exception of your last sentence. D.J. has played well. I don't know where you get the "low effort bum" thing from. He's only doing what he's asked to do and so far he's done it well, I really don't know what else you expect from the guy.

theArizonaState

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Urlacher was also calling the plays. We need an athletic and fast middle linebacker to cover the middle of the field better in the Tampa 2