5 Good & 5 Bad Things after Redskins' game

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
5 Good:

1. McCown played very well. The Offense can win with McCown.

2. Lions lost to the Bengals.

3. Devin Hester returned a punt for a TD, trying the NFL record for most return TDs. Playing well: 4th in KR avg, 3rd PR avg.

4. Cutler isn't lost for the year. With the bye, maybe only 3-4 games.

5. Jeffery is the real deal... he's followed up his success with consistency.

EXTRA: Drafting two fine LBs, in Bostic and Greene, will pay dividends.

5 Bad:

1. Cutler injured, out for 3-6 games.

2. Briggs injured, out for 4-5 games.

3. Bears lost to Redskins, going to 4-3

4. Packers beat Browns, going half game lead 4-2

5. Another bad game for the Defense. (we getting out coached?)

Staleydabear1938

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
that pretty much sums it up for me. Offense was playing real well that game. The defense got railroaded like a truck stop hooker.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
that pretty much sums it up for me. Offense was playing real well that game. The defense got railroaded like a truck stop hooker.
That sums up the game pretty well. But why do truck stop hookers get railroaded?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The defense is in a real tough spot for 2 reasons:

1 - Lovie, for how badly avoided working the the offense was a premier defensive mind.
2 - With the injuries the Bears have had I'm not sure Lovie could do much with this squad.

There comes a time when coaches can't do any more and unfortunately putting up less talent just becomes a losers game.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I would be an '*' around the fact that McCown played well. The Redskins are one of the worst defenses in the league. I'm not saying he's bad, just that moving the ball and scoring on the Redskins shouldn't provide too much confident that all is good there.

Staleydabear1938

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That sums up the game pretty well. But why do truck stop hookers get railroaded?

Excellent question. I'll go with Urbandictionarie's third definition of the term to help answer:
Railroaded
Anal intercourse of such vehemence that the reciever is pushed forward a significant distance.
I.E.: Suzy: "Josh f'ing railroaded me right off the bed last night! I almost broke my platella from the fall."

As to they why? Anal pays more. :p

speaking of railroads, this thread has been derailed. whoops.

Staleydabear1938

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would be an '*' around the fact that McCown played well. The Redskins are one of the worst defenses in the league. I'm not saying he's bad, just that moving the ball and scoring on the Redskins shouldn't provide too much confident that all is good there.

he's no hanie though right? I think he looked good in the time he played, but if DC is the worst Defense as you say, then I guess Gbay will be a better test for McCown.

Major Ursa

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Utah State Aggies
The injuries pissed me off, but I still am angry about that bullshit Hail Mary. There is no way in hell we should have given up that play.

cbo0485

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The injuries pissed me off, but I still am angry about that bullshit Hail Mary. There is no way in hell we should have given up that play.

Completely agree. That and the ducking bullshit offsides call on the onside kick. The bears finally make a really ballsy call and the fucking refs screw us.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
The defense is in a real tough spot for 2 reasons:

1 - Lovie, for how badly avoided working the the offense was a premier defensive mind.
2 - With the injuries the Bears have had I'm not sure Lovie could do much with this squad.

There comes a time when coaches can't do any more and unfortunately putting up less talent just becomes a losers game.
I think Bears Defense is stacked with talent. Marinelli (and who knows to what extend, Lovie) used this talent to be one of the Top 3 Defenses last year. This year's team started fairly intact (just replaced Url, Roach & Izzy with Williams, Anderson & Ellis/Washington/Bass). Tucker's Defense started off playing much more poorly, before the injuries. In fact, I would say Williams, Anderson and Frey are an improvement to Url, Roach and Hayden. If I was Emery, I'd consider getting Tucker some help, or replacing him.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
We've seen thousands of defenses play. McCown played well, period, because we saw him make sharp throws at every level, made 95% good decisions, we saw him check down, we saw him scramble & pick up 1st downs with his feet, throw the ball away, and all without any 1st team reps.

Besides, Washington isn't the 32nd Defense in the NFL, their 24th, one in front of Bears at 25th.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I think Bears Defense is stacked with talent. Marinelli (and who knows to what extend, Lovie) used this talent to be one of the Top 3 Defenses last year. This year's team started fairly intact (just replaced Url, Roach & Izzy with Williams, Anderson & Ellis/Washington/Bass). Tucker's Defense started off playing much more poorly, before the injuries. In fact, I would say Williams, Anderson and Frey are an improvement to Url, Roach and Hayden. If I was Emery, I'd consider getting Tucker some help, or replacing him.

Tough to do with only one year under his belt. I can imagine when he was hired there was an end state where he and Emery agreed the defense has to go. He wasn't hired to coach Lovie's guys the same way, but evolve the defense into something both wanted (3-4, hybrid or just something different). Either way Lovie within the next 1-2 years many of his foundational guys are gone. This is Tucker's baby to run with so you have to give him enough slack to fully hang himself.

These injuries actually give Tucker an out. He's been playing 2-5 players short each week and it's getting worse. Soon it won't matter who's calling plays because the guys that are plopped in unable or not ready to execute what is being asked. I'd say in losing Melton, Briggs and Tillman he's been playing short a key member at all 3 levels of the D. Add in injuries to other DTs and other LBs and it's becoming a shit show.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Excellent question. I'll go with Urbandictionarie's third definition of the term to help answer:
Railroaded
Anal intercourse of such vehemence that the reciever is pushed forward a significant distance.
I.E.: Suzy: "Josh f'ing railroaded me right off the bed last night! I almost broke my platella from the fall."

As to they why? Anal pays more. :p

speaking of railroads, this thread has been derailed. whoops.
I'm not sure the Urban dictionary has correctly identified the meaning of "railroaded". It's common definition is "to force (a person) into (an action) with haste or by unfair means". But of course, I was asking you what you meant about our sisters tricking truck stops. So you're saying they get sodomized, right?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I know, Bears D should not have made it so easy for the Skin's to score like that. I was so sure there was going to be another Bears takeaway in the 4th, but they weren't even close to one.

Who's the chic in your avatar?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Completely agree. That and the ducking bullshit offsides call on the onside kick. The bears finally make a really ballsy call and the fucking refs screw us.
Actually, Bears didn't get screwed on that offsides call. As Fox's ex-ref explained, if any part of a players body crosses the line of scrimmage plane before the ball, it's offsides. Weems' was offsides. He's a great ST player, but he's been a little too undisciplined this year. No reason an expert ST vet like Weems should have made that error. It's on Weems.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
We've seen thousands of defenses play. McCown played well, period, because we saw him make sharp throws at every level, made 95% good decisions, we saw him check down, we saw him scramble & pick up 1st downs with his feet, throw the ball away, and all without any 1st team reps.

Besides, Washington isn't the 32nd Defense in the NFL, their 24th, one in front of Bears at 25th.
This is where those numbers don't really tell the whole story. Here's two game's you'd have to see to fully appreciate:

Oakland - Former NFL QB Matt Flynn (released shortly after the game) and backup RB Rashad Jennings were replacing Pryor and McFadden.
Dallas - Redskins allowed only 213 yards, but got blown out 31-16. How? Dwayne Harris had 222 return yards (1 TD) and Washington turned the ball over on their 3 yard line. Can't generate many yards when you always have a short field to work with.

The Redskins are really bad on defense. Just look at the Bears game. A lot of things were open, a lot of yards were given up and a lot of points were scored.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Tough to do with only one year under his belt. I can imagine when he was hired there was an end state where he and Emery agreed the defense has to go. He wasn't hired to coach Lovie's guys the same way, but evolve the defense into something both wanted (3-4, hybrid or just something different). Either way Lovie within the next 1-2 years many of his foundational guys are gone. This is Tucker's baby to run with so you have to give him enough slack to fully hang himself.

These injuries actually give Tucker an out. He's been playing 2-5 players short each week and it's getting worse. Soon it won't matter who's calling plays because the guys that are plopped in unable or not ready to execute what is being asked. I'd say in losing Melton, Briggs and Tillman he's been playing short a key member at all 3 levels of the D. Add in injuries to other DTs and other LBs and it's becoming a shit show.
Yeah, the current number of injuries do give Tucker an out, in theory. My point is, he might be new to the Bears, but he started with a Top 3 D, and hasn't measured up day one. If I was Emery, I'd tell Tucker to get some help. And consider replacing him, although it's doubtful there are any available big name NFL DC's out there who are better, but there may be lesser known DC assistants or college DCs who could do better.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:

I'd say you're high if you think this team is stacked with Defensive Talent. Real high.

Only players worth a damn on defense right now are Briggs, Tillman and Jennings, with everyone else playing like shit. At least in Bostic's case, he's learning and has ability, and the kid they picked up from Oakland, Bass, looks for real too. But you want to sit here and tell me Conte is talented? Paea, after showing nothing? Maybe Wooten when he's playing end, but they have him in at DT because of injuries, and damn he sucks there. Frey is ok, but he's a nickel corner - not on the field all the time.

I mean, the only way you could say the Bears have a high ceiling as far as talent is concerned is if you are looking at the ceiling of a basement.

Too many bad angelo drafts and the few good players got old in a hurry. This defense is many things, but talented just isn't one of them...

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don't think Paea has played that poorly but you're entitled to your opinion

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
This is where those numbers don't really tell the whole story. Here's two game's you'd have to see to fully appreciate:

Oakland - Former NFL QB Matt Flynn (released shortly after the game) and backup RB Rashad Jennings were replacing Pryor and McFadden.
Dallas - Redskins allowed only 213 yards, but got blown out 31-16. How? Dwayne Harris had 222 return yards (1 TD) and Washington turned the ball over on their 3 yard line. Can't generate many yards when you always have a short field to work with.

The Redskins are really bad on defense. Just look at the Bears game. A lot of things were open, a lot of yards were given up and a lot of points were scored.
One could argue Wash has one of the worst defenses, but I think my point still stands -- McCown performed all aspects of the NFL QB position very very well. He even out played Cutler against this same Wash D. It's obvious both McCown, Cutler, and any QB, will not do as well against top Defenses, but the point is McCown can run Trestman's Offense confidently, which means we can win with Mccown, if the Defense can improve.