What 4-3 personnel is worth saving and building around?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What 4-3 personnel from this team is worth saving and building around?

-Henry Melton, coming off an ACL?

-Julius Peppers, who will be cut and is terrible now?

-Lance Briggs, at 33 years old?

I just don't see a lot of 4-3 talent worth salvaging.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think the extent of the defensive rebuild required is such that you could pick either 43 or 34 and the personnel required is about the same.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Given all the free agents and the atrocious DL I think the Bears have flexibility to play whichever defense their DC desires.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
Melton, Wootton, Paea, Collins (? as a backup? maybe?), Tillman, possibly Jennings, Briggs, Anderson. Let Peppers go, end the Shea stuff unless it's third and long, let Wright walk and possibly Jennings depending on the cap space.

Aqbased

Liked Posts:
Considering Emery mentioned a 3-4 would require a whole draft to the process, the way the defense is playing this season we should do that regardless..

Defense Wins

Liked Posts:
they will let Briggs retire, move him inside when the 3-4 switch comes.

bearbeav

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the extent of the defensive rebuild required is such that you could pick either 43 or 34 and the personnel required is about the same.
At this point I would agree. The whole D needs to be drafted and FA pieces anyway.

Mongo

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think with this season they had a wait and see what happens approach. Maybe all the 1 year rentals (aside from cap issues) were to try to find a few keepers.
Whether its 3-4 or 4-3 they need to try and find some inter-changeable pieces and use the draft for the need positions.
Who knows Emery keeps saying no to 3-4 questions, but if they were to change hes certainly not going to let anyone know til day 1 of the 2014 draft.

Kekua Zombie

Liked Posts:
The first they need to rebuild is the fucking DC.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
The D needs to be rebuilt regardless; so, the first priority should be to bring in the DC that they feel is right for the job(even if that remains to be Tucker), and then build the D based on whatever scheme he wants to run.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Rexryan46derpherp.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:

I completely agreee. No matter what we put out there - its going to be gutted this offseason so let's see what they decide to do.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
What 4-3 personnel from this team is worth saving and building around?

-Henry Melton, coming off an ACL?

-Julius Peppers, who will be cut and is terrible now?

-Lance Briggs, at 33 years old?

I just don't see a lot of 4-3 talent worth salvaging.

Okay so the follow up question is, which players on the defense are geared towards the personnel required to run a 3-4 defense, and do you want to run the two-gap 3-4 or the one-gap 3-4 ala Wade Phillips?

Shea McClellin in not a starting NFL capable player whether it's as a defensive end or an outside linebacker. McClellin can't get off the blocks of a tight end, and if he's going to play defense he has to get off the blocks of an offensive tackle.

Essentially, Shea McClellin's failure makes the main point/idea of trying to shift to a 3-4 defense completely irrelevant.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
I think with this season they had a wait and see what happens approach. Maybe all the 1 year rentals (aside from cap issues) were to try to find a few keepers.
Whether its 3-4 or 4-3 they need to try and find some inter-changeable pieces and use the draft for the need positions.
Who knows Emery keeps saying no to 3-4 questions, but if they were to change hes certainly not going to let anyone know til day 1 of the 2014 draft.

Well will probably know prior to the draft based upon who the DC is

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know the Bears have said they had no plans to go to a 3-4 but I'm wondering if it's not a smokescreen cause the last 2 drafts they seemed to be picking players better suited for a 3-4. You'd need a new d-line but you need that anyway.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I keep Briggs since he's still on a deal but I may move him to the strong side since he's stout enough and it will limit his coverage and see what Greene can do at Will. Bostic in the middle and maybe groom McClellin for the move under Briggs. Anderson looked OK when healthy but I doubt he would resign to sit and I don't think Sam is his best spot. McClellin can't be at end next year unless he spends the off season in Honduras with MR Roid.

Wooton should be below market by playing T this year and he goes back to DE. Peppers is gone. Collins returns with Paea. Melton may also have lessened his price and if he can be retained for less that what he cost this year, I think we don't have much choice. Looks like we sign and/or draft another DE. Even a bigger need than when we drafted Shea. If Melton is gone, we need that to.

Peanut is getting old. I keep him at the right price but no more. Jennings gets my attention. I suspect Frey can playat the edge. Maybe Conte can move to nickle is we can find another safety. Bowman is a special teamer and should be a 3rd string CB. The safeties seem to be regressing without pressure up front but unlike most, I would sit Wright 1st. Conte has had a lot of ground to cover this year with our lack of rush. Doesn't excuse the fact that he's messed up but he's still a lot better in coverage than any other safety we have including Wright. He's also been a better tackler overall but that isn't saying much as he's had bad games as well and can benefit from better angles on a runner later in the play. I'd consider replacing them both but not realistic. Honestly, I think Steltz would be better than Wright at the moment. He can't cover either but at least he reads and tackles well.

All that said, it wouldn't be that difficult to move to a 3-4. I know what Emery said but I don't think our personal are that poor of a fit. If we lose Melton, Wooton still works as a 3-4 DE and some our 3 techs could play DE as well. We have linebackers as Briggs can move in and if we retain Anderson and play Greene, that's five with McClellin and Bostic. Odd man out. Hopefully, that would be Anderson. BIG key would be finding a nose. Besides transistioning, that would be the difficult part.