Oh no..... Another Cutler thread.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
You don't think the mid 80's Bears were close?
No. Nobody close to elite. Some good possession type receivers, Payton was a good receiver out of the backfield and the one trick pony Gault and a decent tightend or 2 but nothing like they have now.

Most productive wr combo of the past was likely the mid 90's with Graham and Conway and Kramer had very good numbers that year.

illmatic34

Liked Posts:
Best QB the Bears have ever had is perhaps the most overused and idiotic argument when it comes to defending Cutler.

First of all, I didn't know Jay Cutler is on the same caliber as a HOF QB in Sid Luckman; and two, he's one of the best by default because outside of McMahon and Luckman, these other QBs would have never started anywhere else on any team.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No. Nobody close to elite. Some good possession type receivers, Payton was a good receiver out of the backfield and the one trick pony Gault and a decent tightend or 2 but nothing like they have now.

Most productive wr combo of the past was likely the mid 90's with Graham and Conway and Kramer had very good numbers that year.

As an offense, just looking at 85, you had Payton with nearly 2000 yards of total offense. I was 10 years old but I somehow remember Mckinnon and Gault as solid (and yes, 1 trick pony for Gault), they combined for 1200 yards. Suhey always seemed to contribute here and there. Moorehead and Wrightman at TE combined for 900 yards (I honestly don't remember wrightman at all though). Considering offensive passing yards were harder to come by back then, that seems pretty good (of course they did go 15-1) but the best defense ever helps too.

Different NFL back then but I think McMahon had his weapons.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
As an offense, just looking at 85, you had Payton with nearly 2000 yards of total offense. I was 10 years old but I somehow remember Mckinnon and Gault as solid (and yes, 1 trick pony for Gault), they combined for 1200 yards. Suhey always seemed to contribute here and there. Moorehead and Wrightman at TE combined for 900 yards (I honestly don't remember wrightman at all though). Considering offensive passing yards were harder to come by back then, that seems pretty good (of course they did go 15-1) but the best defense ever helps too.

Different NFL back then but I think McMahon had his weapons.
And McMahon was good too. Just far too many injuries. A lot of solid players and legit weapons who fed off each other but none other than Payton (on offense) were great.

Harbaugh came soon after Mac's demise and while average with the Bears, went on to have a monster season with the Colts and went to the AFC championship with them.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
In 16 regular season games, 2 playoff games & the Super Bowl, the 85 Bears allowed 208 points. In 7 games this year.... 206