Biggs: Bears need a perfect storm to make playoffs

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Tillman didn't play one game, and we won that game. Yes Melton and Collins are the only guys on that list that have missed a full game that mattered. If Melton and Collins took us from top few defense to #28 and sinking, god bless ya.

So Emery has nothing to do with the demise of the defense. None of these things possibly matter:

Drafting no impact defensive players in two years as of yet
Firing Lovie
Not being able to retain Marinelli
Not signing Izzy
Not signing Urlacher
Picking up a free agent middle linebacker who hasn't played more than 6 games in 3 years
Hiring Tucker
Having a new defensive coordinator come in and say, I am not changing anything
Poor defensive game planning

Do you think that possibly any of those things may have mattered?

You know, everyone bitched that they wanted the Bears to become an offensive team for years. It's a new NFL, blah, blah.... The Bears did just that, and now you want to bitch about the defense. It's hard to build an entire new O and a D in one year.

No one thought the D would decline this fast. It's most likely a combination of a lot of things, including coaching and injuries. The Bears have like 19 D FA's next off season. There will be some changes. BUT, why bitch so much about the D, especially with all the injuries? Why start bashing Emery for this as well? It makes no fuckin sense!

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You know, everyone bitched that they wanted the Bears to become an offensive team for years. It's a new NFL, blah, blah.... The Bears did just that, and now you want to bitch about the defense. It's hard to build an entire new O and a D in one year.

No one thought the D would decline this fast. It's most likely a combination of a lot of things, including coaching and injuries. The Bears have like 19 D FA's next off season. There will be some changes. BUT, why bitch so much about the D, especially with all the injuries? Why start bashing Emery for this as well? It makes no fuckin sense!

No, I will bitch about what I want. And I get yelled at when I say I told you so, but you are wrong, I did think that the defense would fall apart this year, and that was months ago. When it is all said and done, right now we are not in a better place then we were last year. Kansas City is. They took our place in defense, and we took theirs.

cbo0485

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, I will bitch about what I want. And I get yelled at when I say I told you so, but you are wrong, I did think that the defense would fall apart this year, and that was months ago. When it is all said and done, right now we are not in a better place then we were last year. Kansas City is. They took our place in defense, and we took theirs.

How in the world are we NOT in a better place this year than last year. More depth, more youth, an offensive line that puts last years to shame, and a team full of weapons. Not to mention a 21st century coach that brings a good offensive scheme to the game. Like It or not the nfl is an offense first league. You can overcome a bad defense, but you can't overcome a bad offense.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How in the world are we NOT in a better place this year than last year. More depth, more youth, an offensive line that puts last years to shame, and a team full of weapons. Not to mention a 21st century coach that brings a good offensive scheme to the game. Like It or not the nfl is an offense first league. You can overcome a bad defense, but you can't overcome a bad offense.

Last year we were 7-1 at this point. How would that feel about now?

cbo0485

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Last year we were 7-1 at this point. How would that feel about now?

Well when your short sited and only think about the current year, then yeah 7-1 vs 4-3, I'll give u that. Gotta have a long term vision here.

Also, I think if rather have this offense at 4-3 than last years at 7-1. Hell, how well did 7-1 work for us? Not very fucking well. We missed the playoffs. So we can't be any worse than last year. If you miss the playoffs by one game or by 3, wtf cares. It's better to miss by 3-4 games because u get a better draft spot

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well when your short sited and only think about the current year, then yeah 7-1 vs 4-3, I'll give u that. Gotta have a long term vision here.

Also, I think if rather have this offense at 4-3 than last years at 7-1. Hell, how well did 7-1 work for us? Not very fucking well. We missed the playoffs. So we can't be any worse than last year. If you miss the playoffs by one game or by 3, wtf cares. It's better to miss by 3-4 games because u get a better draft spot

You will get over that someday I think. You seem to be a pretty bright guy. Last year the Ravens won the Superbowl. Were they a better team than the 49ers, Broncos and Seahawks, absolutely not. The Giants won 2 Superbowls in the past decade. In both cases, the team sucked and was out of it half way through the year, their D went crazy, and the team gelled as a team. Only one team can win the Superbowl each year, and it just works out as a team that peaks at the right time, the injury gods treat them good, and a bit of luck.

I live each game for the enjoyment of it. Last year the Bears were 10-6 and did not make the playoffs, a freak thing. Would you be that much happier if they went 9-7, good enough to make the playoffs, then get knocked out in the first round? If you don't make the playoffs you are pissed. if you get knocked out in the 1st round you are more pissed. If you lose in the NFC Championship game it is a total disaster - remember 2011? And I learned in 2007 that if you lose in the Superbowl it is the worst day of your life.

Chill out. Enjoy the games. Otherwise you will always we upset unless you win the Superbowl, which is a longshot - the odds are 32-1. Have some fun.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
I can't believe how quickly it took this time for our season to be over and me to lose interest in the NFL. It seems like the season just started and boom, we're out of it. Didn't even get to enjoy football this year

cbo0485

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You will get over that someday I think. You seem to be a pretty bright guy. Last year the Ravens won the Superbowl. Were they a better team than the 49ers, Broncos and Seahawks, absolutely not. The Giants won 2 Superbowls in the past decade. In both cases, the team sucked and was out of it half way through the year, their D went crazy, and the team gelled as a team. Only one team can win the Superbowl each year, and it just works out as a team that peaks at the right time, the injury gods treat them good, and a bit of luck.

I live each game for the enjoyment of it. Last year the Bears were 10-6 and did not make the playoffs, a freak thing. Would you be that much happier if they went 9-7, good enough to make the playoffs, then get knocked out in the first round? If you don't make the playoffs you are pissed. if you get knocked out in the 1st round you are more pissed. If you lose in the NFC Championship game it is a total disaster - remember 2011? And I learned in 2007 that if you lose in the Superbowl it is the worst day of your life.

Chill out. Enjoy the games. Otherwise you will always we upset unless you win the Superbowl, which is a longshot - the odds are 32-1. Have some fun.

Can't argue with much of that. Only thing I would say is that a lot of times winning the Super Bowl is about luck and a fluke, but you have a much better chance with a talent filled roster. And I think emery is getting us to where we'll have talent and be consistently in the he playoffs, or at least the playoff hunt year in and year out.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Damn the cowgirls were no help and now the pussy vikings are playing like the pussy vikings.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Packers are going to win the division, it is what they do.

The 49ers are going to run away with a wildcard at 6-2 and rolling.

That leaves the Bears, Lions, Panthers, Cardinals all fighting for a wildcard spot.

And we are playing 3-4 games with out our QB and a terrible defense.

I know that you never know, but the math does not look good.

schizm032003

Liked Posts:
Tillman didn't play one game, and we won that game. Yes Melton and Collins are the only guys on that list that have missed a full game that mattered. If Melton and Collins took us from top few defense to #28 and sinking, god bless ya.

So Emery has nothing to do with the demise of the defense. None of these things possibly matter:

Drafting no impact defensive players in two years as of yet
Firing Lovie
Not being able to retain Marinelli
Not signing Izzy
Not signing Urlacher
Picking up a free agent middle linebacker who hasn't played more than 6 games in 3 years
Hiring Tucker
Having a new defensive coordinator come in and say, I am not changing anything
Poor defensive game planning

Do you think that possibly any of those things may have mattered?
First off Emery hasn't ignored the defense in his two drafts. We had a lot of issues to be addressed and his first draft was short a few picks. He did draft some defense, Shea hasn't worked out but I do like Frey. This past draft he added more youth to the defense, Bostic, Greene, and possibly Washington will be part of the next foundation there. I would argue Bostic can and should be an impact guy on the defense with some experience.

Lovies time was up, his never giving us a reasonably decent offense was proof enough. Rod wasn't gonna come back, if he wanted to he would've been here. Urlacher was finished unfortunately, and Izzy was made an offer he decided not to come back. DJ was signed as a bridge to Bostic, even if he got hurt, His playing time was bound to get less.

Tuckers hiring was a bad decision, he's just another tice. I really don't see him here beyond this season.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Les Frazier would be an awesome DC once he gets fired in Minnesota.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm not so sure about that

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The same Marinelli defense that allowed 600 yds to the Lions today?

How the fuck did Megatron get nearly 400 yards of offense? Did the Cowboys just say fuck it?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
When hasn't their pass d said fuckit this year?

EL ROCKSTEADY

CBMB Refugee
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
some of these points are correct, but i think our great defense has finally been dismantled due to a combination of injuries, retirement, age, new DC. OUr offense has improved too, but our main player that makes it work is hurt too. Bottom line, we are effed for 2013.

Positive: we will get a decent draft pick.
Negative: if Cutler leaves, Bears are officially in rebuilding mode for the next 3 years at least. And it could be worse if we can not find a decent QB to fill the gap. Picks that should be used on the defensive side will have to be used on a QB.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
if you are going to compare the bears to the chiefs then mine as well explain each teams circumstances
chiefs 2012 season - offense - abysmal, qb carousel with cassel and quinn...
chiefs 2012 season - defense - average - defense was tired out being on the field too long
chiefs 2013 season - offense - average - traded for smith, hired reid
chiefs 2013 season - defense - above average - true NT in middle, pass rusher houston really coming on
bears 2012 season - offense below average - poor oline, lack of weapons.
bears 2012 season - defense - above average - played well for most part despite age at key positions.
bears 2013 season - offense is average/above average, nearly fixed oline, added multiple weapons, hired trestman
bears 2013 season - defense - abysmal - injuries along dline, LB spots, scheme does not fit players on the roster

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
I just looked at the Lions schedule and all I have to say is Go Bulls, Go Hawks.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I just looked at the Lions schedule and all I have to say is Go Bulls, Go Hawks.

We needed the Lions to drop a game like yesterday.

They needed to stumble during out QB injury and they stole a game they had lost, which is a bad swing.