OT - The Washington Redskins

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope this thread remains even though it is not Bears related. The intent is not only to discuss the Washington Redskins name but also to deter me from being an annoying asshole and hijacking other threads about it.

As I have made pretty clear. I think of the Washington Redskins as a football team. I do not and have not heard Redskin used as a racial slur with the exception of discussions about the Washington football team. I do not hear it thrown around on TV or in movies or anywhere else except for when people try to dig really deep and insist it is a racial slur because of the team in DC. I've heard many explanations of the origin of the word. Reddish skin, bloody scalps, red war paint. The origin is in question. The meaning it has to me is not. It's a football team.

I have personally polled 1.0625 native Americans and 1.0625 of them didn't give a shit. 1/1.0625 called me jealous for not having a team named after my race. More credible polls have also found that the majority of native Americans don't give a shit either.

That is partially what riles me up about this. If those offended care, let them speak up. Let us listen. And by THEM, I mean THEM. The native Americans that have had to endure 90 years of hearing about the Washington Redskins. I want to hear it from them. I don't want to hear it from some assholes trying to save the world from racism that doesn't exist. Some assholes that come out because our president mentions it or because Bob Costas gets on a soap box or for whatever finally triggered them to realize that a football team could have a racist name. Umm, the team has been around for 90 years, you just woke up and realized this?

Now, let's hear it. OMG you don't understand Packer Fan. You didn't have your land taken away and your family murdered. Well neither did you so STFU! OMG Packer fan, you don't know what it's like to be called a Redskin. Well neither do you because nobody fucking says that!

On a personal note. The Redskins broke a racial barrier for me when I was a little kid. As a kid, this was my prized toy:

electricfootball.jpg

Vibrating football. Loved it. Each Christmas I would get a set of teams, they were sold by division. I initially got the NFC Central. Then I asked for the NFC East the next year. But up until then, I was racist. I grew up watching the Packers RB's, Eddie Lee Ivery, Gerry Ellis, Harlan Huckleby, the Lions Billy Sims, the Bucs, James Wilder, the Bears, Walter Payton, the Vikings Ted Brown and Darrin Nelson. And do you know what they had in common? They were all black. As a 7-8 yr old I had tough decisions to make as a vibrating football coach. Who would get to hold the little tiny football in the vibrating game? Never, ever, would a white guy get the ball. Nope. Never. Until I got the NFC East package just after John Riggins and the Redskins won the Super Bowl. I finally put a 44 sticker on a white guy and actually gave him the ball. Barrier broken. Silly story mind you, but it seems to make sense to me. That was 30 years ago and I didn't think about a racial slur at all then and I don't think about it now, well unless people force me to. Riggins and the Redskins didn't completely cure my football racism though, as I bitched about drafting Jordy Nelson and I get a text from a friend every time he scores a TD.

Also, thread started to show that I care. Not simply because it was a "hot topic"

Now. Bitch to bitch and save the world please. Thanks.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Indians lost........we have naming rights....

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bro, this is hovering in the Jeff George, DJMooreisfat, BF51 zone.

C'MON MAaan!

Rise

Liked Posts:
Not all, maybe not even the majority but some native Americans are indeed offended by the name. That's enough for me to support its change. A simple Google search will show you who is offended.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Liked Posts:
Thought I remembered hearing that most Native Americans hate the word Indians more than Redskins because they aren't from India. Columbus's racist ass just couldn't tell the difference or didn't care at least.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thought I remembered hearing that most Native Americans hate the word Indians more than Redskins because they aren't from India. Columbus's racist ass just couldn't tell the difference or didn't care at least.

Don't pick on racist Columbus because he was lost.

Frigidus

Liked Posts:
Most of the complaining about the name is coming from upper middle class white people that don't want to come off as racist. They're the left wing version of the Christian moralists.

BearsJR

Liked Posts:
I hate myself for saying this, but I agree with Packerfan. Man that hurt. I really think too many people are trying to speak up for others as if they know how something feels to them. I'm not black, so I don't feel it's my right to speak up for black people as far as racism goes (unless its right in front of me, then I feel it's my duty to say something). I don't know if Redskin was ever an ethnic slur, but until actual American Indians speak up about it, I think there should be no issue. It's not like they're called the DC N****RS or something, that would be totally offensive. I agree with the question of why now? Has it suddenly become offensive, or are some politicians trying to look like good guys?

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lame thread. So lame.

Frigidus

Liked Posts:
I hate myself for saying this, but I agree with Packerfan. Man that hurt. I really think too many people are trying to speak up for others as if they know how something feels to them. I'm not black, so I don't feel it's my right to speak up for black people as far as racism goes (unless its right in front of me, then I feel it's my duty to say something). I don't know if Redskin was ever an ethnic slur, but until actual American Indians speak up about it, I think there should be no issue. It's not like they're called the DC N****RS or something, that would be totally offensive. I agree with the question of why now? Has it suddenly become offensive, or are some politicians trying to look like good guys?

DC N****RS would be offensive as fuck, but I would watch every game just to see the ways commentators would try to stumble around saying the name. Joe Buck would probably just say it.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Just to clarify my stance, me, personally I do not care. But if people who are "redskin" don't like the name then I support them in spirit. I am not going to do anything about it though. I got my own wpp.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I'm not offended by the r-word, but by definition it is a derogatory term.

Ventura said it best at the rally. If an Alabama based team wanted to call a team 'the Slaves' and had an African heritage mascot people would lose their minds. The only difference is that the Native American population is so small that they have a quieter collective voice.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I only have 1 native american friend. He doesn't care. He likes it. I was trying to think of anything close that I could get to being offended. No white slur offends me. I have red hair. Occasionally I'm called ginger or fire-crotch. Should I be offended? It's my fucking hair color. I'm not offended. I hope in 20 years someone isn't fighting for my cause because of my hair color. People assume I'm Irish. Ummm, no. I'm German. I'm of drunk ass German descent. Please name a team after me. The Washington Drunk Ass German Redheaded Assholes. I won't care. In 81 years, maybe I'll change my mind.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Ventura said it best at the rally. If an Alabama based team wanted to call a team 'the Slaves' and had an African heritage mascot people would lose their minds. The only difference is that the Native American population is so small that they have a quieter collective voice.

The problem is that they don't have a collective voice. Most don't care. Some like it.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:

Ventura as in Jesse Ventura?/I hope not cause if you subscribe to anything that lunatic says..Your cred is zero....lol

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The problem is that they don't have a collective voice. Most don't care. Some like it.

No group does. Who's the collective voice of whites, blacks, browns, etc...

It's that they are just over 1% of the population, which makes them a mini minority.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Dan Snyder is not A Indian , you can not beat this decision into him, anyway

Do not respect a culture that thinks cows are Sacred :elephant:

still luv

images

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No group does. Who's the collective voice of whites, blacks, browns, etc...

It's that they are just over 1% of the population, which makes them a mini minority.

If the majority of that minority cared it would be a bigger deal. They don't.