OT: Funny and True - D'Antoni on Knicks & Raptors

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
I recall Florida being in the top ten for the team players would least like to play for, in pretty much every player poll media has done for hockey. It makes sense. Given a choice between all the NHL teams, I wouldn't want to play there either.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
I recall Florida being in the top ten for the team players would least like to play for, in pretty much every player poll media has done for hockey. It makes sense. Given a choice between all the NHL teams, I wouldn't want to play there either.

Its also a venue I'd least want to attend, and not just inside the arena. The entire city seems to close around 10 or so. I don't blame the players for being bored out of their minds.

Dale's got a LOT to improve if he wants to make Florida a destination for free agents. He can start to do that by hiring the right coach, and not create another DeBoer situation...

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
On the same tangent, who would want to coach that team?
<

He has his work cut out for him, that's for sure.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
On the same tangent, who would want to coach that team?
<

He has his work cut out for him, that's for sure.

It still boggles my mind as to why he wanted to go there.... I know its to further the point that he wanted to get back into management, but not even I would accept that job, let alone anything Florida offered...

Hell, I turned down a potential offer from the Blues to work in their office back in 2008 for pete sakes! If I wouldn't want to live in St Louis, I sure as hell wouldn't want to work in Florida.

I still wonder about that offer, Dave, I really do...

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who the hell would want to coach/ play in Florida

The discussion of Corey being resigned was derailed with a discussion of where the Panthers are headed,

Dale Tallon being the GM and what the potential is for the team. I thought it was worthy to start a separate

thread.

I will start it by posting this;

Hockey's Future Organizational Rankings, Spring 2011 1-10

2. Florida Panthers

Strengths: It's hard to find anything but strengths with the Panthers group currently. They have elite talents with players like Erik Gudbranson and Jacob Markstrom, an incredible second-tier talent with the likes of Nick Bjugstad, Colby Robak, and Michael Repik, and depth at every position. A.J. Jenks and Drew Shore are also promising talents who should be able to contribute at the NHL level in several years. The Panthers prospect pool boasts quality, diversity, depth, and is oozing with talent. Weaknesses: It is hard to find any real weaknesses. There is a lack of elite scoring talent. Many of the top players like Bjugstad are still several years away. Top 5 Prospects: 1. Jacob Markstrom, G, 2. Erik Gudbranson, D, 3. Nick Bjugstad, C, 4. Colby Robak, D, 5. Michal Repik, RW. Lost To Graduation: Keaton Ellerby, D, Jason Garrison, D, Jack Skille, RW.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/13076/hockeys_future_organizational_rankings_spring2011110/

fanof19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its also a venue I'd least want to attend, and not just inside the arena. The entire city seems to close around 10 or so. I don't blame the players for being bored out of their minds.

Dale's got a LOT to improve if he wants to make Florida a destination for free agents. He can start to do that by hiring the right coach, and not create another DeBoer situation...

Ft Lauderdale closes around 10? Really???
<
Between FLL and MIA, athletes have alot of nightlife available to them.

R K

I don't know about that. The lightening don't seem to have a problem. Surprise Yzerman actually went there. What was he thinking!

R K

Did you really compare St. Louis to Miami? Really?

Now for Hockey I suppose, but nightlife? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
I don't know about that. The lightening don't seem to have a problem. Surprise Yzerman actually went there. What was he thinking!

Comparing Tampa to Florida? Come on. Tampa won a cup recently, did they not? They were also one of the better teams in the NHL for several years surrounding their cup win. They have one of the youngest superstars in the NHL on their team, along with two other guys that aren't all too shabby, in St. Louis and Levalalier. Tampa also has an owner that is willing to do what needs to be done to win. Florida, on the other hand, is a perennial bottom feeder, who has had zero success in the history of the franchise, outside of 1996. Not really an apt comparison...

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
If one of the mods can split off the posts and add them here, that would be great.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree. I also think with Arbitration coming for Crawford it was NOT an overpayment. Arbitration would have given Craw the same as they did Niemi last year. Why risk Arbitration? They didn't so must have learned their lesson from last year. After they matched Hjarlmarsson they wouldn't have been able to afford 2.2 mil for Niemi either way. Assuming thats the offer they never made.

Not an overpayment in my mind either. Plus, let's look to where he is at the end of 3 years. After all, wasn't Sharp grossly overpaid when he signed his contract? Or wasn't Bolland overpaid when he first signed his contract? Fact is, we see that Bolland can be even more clutch in the playoffs then Byfuglien, and Sharp? Need I say more.

R K

Comparing Tampa to Florida? Come on. Tampa won a cup recently, did they not? They were also one of the better teams in the NHL for several years surrounding their cup win. They have one of the youngest superstars in the NHL on their team, along with two other guys that aren't all too shabby, in St. Louis and Levalalier. Tampa also has an owner that is willing to do what needs to be done to win. Florida, on the other hand, is a perennial bottom feeder, who has had zero success in the history of the franchise, outside of 1996. Not really an apt comparison...

Actually Calgary won that Cup. Officiating gave it to Tampa.

And I was going on Florida teams obviously but you went the extra mile. If it can be done in Tampa it can certainly be done in Miami. Who by the way has won a cup as well. Not to soon before Tampa. Since you wanted to throw that out there. 2002

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Actually Calgary won that Cup. Officiating gave it to Tampa.

And I was going on Florida teams obviously but you went the extra mile. If it can be done in Tampa it can certainly be done in Miami. Who by the way has won a cup as well. Not to soon before Tampa. Since you wanted to throw that out there. 2002

Their names are on the cup, not Calgary's. The officiating had little to do with Calgary only getting 14 shots on goal in game seven.

As for the rest of your post, what the fuck are you talking about? Florida won a cup in 2002? Huh?

Miami is a pretty notoriously shitty sports city. Most of Florida is, actually. Likely because it's a shitload of transplants from other areas of the US, who have loyalties to other teams. Even the Lightning struggle to fill the building, regardless of the success they've had on the ice over the last decade. How many professional sports teams in Florida have a strong fanbase?
<

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
I'm sure Mass has nothing better to do at work... he'll get right on it.

Well, it's not like I said, SPLIT THEM OFF RIGHT NOW GOD DAMNIT!!!!

Eventually, though, that would be good. The entire discussion is in the other thread.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Panthers are in Sunrise which is more of a suburb of Fort Lauderdale then Miami.

I was there for the March game against the Blackhawks. I thought the stadium was awesome and how often do we get to hang out at the beach, go golfing and then wear shorts to the game with your jersey on? Their fanbase will grow if the team can start producing a winnning franchise. Tons of snowbirds down there and I talked to a number of them while there that are excited for what Dale has done in Chicago and what they hope he will bring the team there. If the NHL schedule allows it I will be down there again next season for sure.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
The Panthers are in Sunrise which is more of a suburb of Fort Lauderdale then Miami.

I was there for the March game against the Blackhawks. I thought the stadium was awesome and how often do we get to hang out at the beach, go golfing and then wear shorts to the game with your jersey on? Their fanbase will grow if the team can start producing a winnning franchise. Tons of snowbirds down there and I talked to a number of them while there that are excited for what Dale has done in Chicago and what they hope he will bring the team there. If the NHL schedule allows it I will be down there again next season for sure.

They had no problems filling the arena and getting good hype when they went to the cup final years back. I agree Icehog. Lots of retired hockey fans down there in Florida also.

Many players and players families also must like the thought of playing and residing in Florida.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Nice weather cities can be more fair weathered...simply because if their team sucks, there's other things to do outside...

But when in Winnepeg, and the team sucks...there's nothing else in the world to do but freeze your nuts off, call into radio stations and complain...and be called "diehard" fans

Anyway...back to Crawdaddy.....hope he does't have a sophmore slump. Otherwise, Scooter can look to sign TCD's ass cheeks who are looking for a job since being dumped by JAKO

R K

They had no problems filling the arena and getting good hype when they went to the cup final years back. I agree Icehog. Lots of retired hockey fans down there in Florida also.

Many players and players families also must like the thought of playing and residing in Florida.

That was more my point in the other thread but I hadn't realized it had been so many years since they've been there. I was thinking of Tampa. Any team that's successful/consistently will draw fans.

Building a young team, like Tallon did here will let them compete in the "success" department. I still say it would work in Arizona with the right ownership and partners in the communities.

It will all depend on what the Panthers Ownership allows Tallon to do IMO. It also won't stop Tallon from grabbing talent through the draft. I thought I read some where they have a shit load of picks.