Computer guys!

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So, one last quick question. Virus protection on my computer. Do any of yall recommend a free one or should I bite the bullet and buy one?

I just use Microsoft Security Essentials.... its kind of minimal protection but TBH I have come to terms with having that risk be present rather than drowning my machine in Mcafee or Norton.... they always seem to present me with more problems than they solve.... very much like the TSA IMO... big heavy cumbersome mechanism which theoretically protects you from major threats which you never really see.

I payed for anti-virus for a few years and then realized I never found a case where something tried to get in and it protected me, it caused me headaches in the course of using it, and in the end Malware would get in via torrents sometimes and anti-virus never caught it nor would anti-virus scans catch anything, I always had to go get other anti-malware tools to scan, find, and kill/remove the malware....

So in the end I opt for letting everything through the gate essentially and I just have a tactical team in the terminal which hunts down and kills any crazies that might get in.... if someone decides to nuke me the TSA quite likely would not have helped a whole lot anyways.

EDIT: Btw Crystallas may have a very different opinion.... he probably sits behind like 3 firewalls :D

Last edited:

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
For windows? I run linux 90% of the time. But for windows. And I do have a different approach to security than most people, but technically, I sit behind 3 up-to-date firewalls, so I can't play that joke down haha.

No antivirus running, but Malwarebytes and CCleaner installed at the ready. Scan with malwarebytes when you download something that can be untrusted, then after you install/run that, open CCleaner as a shortcut to check if it installed any suspicious startups to registry, services, web browsers, ect.

Most "trusted" Antivirus in windows are like viruses in themselves. They slow down the system, make things less stable, and to top it off they still don't stop the exploits. Especially now, when you have so much controlware, and spyware that is considered trusted, just because they don't crash your computer. So of course, antivirus companies whitelist things that would have been seen as malicious in years past. Anything from all those harmless-seeming web browser toolbars, itunes, anything norton, google chrome, and adobe's 200 million different ways to use flash and pdf to track, store and sell data to bidding dataminers.
If you only knew what some of the most popular software does in the background. :wink: GNU when possible.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
For windows? I run linux 90% of the time. But for windows. And I do have a different approach to security than most people, but technically, I sit behind 3 up-to-date firewalls, so I can't play that joke down haha.

No antivirus running, but Malwarebytes and CCleaner installed at the ready. Scan with malwarebytes when you download something that can be untrusted, then after you install/run that, open CCleaner as a shortcut to check if it installed any suspicious startups to registry, services, web browsers, ect.

Most "trusted" Antivirus in windows are like viruses in themselves. They slow down the system, make things less stable, and to top it off they still don't stop the exploits. Especially now, when you have so much controlware, and spyware that is considered trusted, just because they don't crash your computer. So of course, antivirus companies whitelist things that would have been seen as malicious in years past. Anything from all those harmless-seeming web browser toolbars, itunes, anything norton, google chrome, and adobe's 200 million different ways to use flash and pdf to track, store and sell data to bidding dataminers.
If you only knew what some of the most popular software does in the background. :wink: GNU when possible.

Lol I had a feeling about the firewalls :D

But otherwise I think we go a similar route.... I use Malwarebytes with rKill and Kaspersky's anti-root kit utility when I suspect I got any malware in... but I do run MSE all the time cause its lightweight and it has caught incoming Malware for me in the past and saved me from 4 hours of scanning to get rid of it. I also recommend PeerBlock or something similar to block out spammers and other junk who slip malware in to shit. Since I started using it I have not had any junk come through a torrent and also no "STOP TORRENTING! BAD ARES!" e-mails from my ISP lol

None of it is full proof, people want full proof anti-everything software which won't kill their machine and won't keep them away from shit on the internet if they want to go there, but its just not doable IMO...

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm back guys and I need y'all help. My computer had the same problem. So this time I completely wiped my computer and reinstalled windows. It seems fine but I can not find wireless connection. It is only giving me an option for broadband. It's not giving me any options for wireless. Not even the lil icon. Any thoughts? Thanks guys and merry christmas!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let me give a little more info. I reinstalled my drivers but 3 weren't installed. The network controller and 2 USB things. I put my driver cd back in but it says it can find the driver to update it off the cd. I'm guessing this is the hold up but I only have one driver disc from dell. Am I missing one?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Download the newest drivers for the best compatibility and stability. Go to Dell's support site for drivers, or if you know who the vendor is for your 802.11x card/chipset, see if they have a newer driver.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can I dl to a cd or do I have to do it from my computer?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
It's just a set of files, so it doesn't matter how it gets there. 95% of the time, it's a full installer. ie: Broadcom_r492347689234_win_x85_x64_v5.4333.exe

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Up and running. I should just buy a new one, but I cant bring myself into dropping 1300 to 1500 on a MAC

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
So, one last quick question. Virus protection on my computer. Do any of yall recommend a free one or should I bite the bullet and buy one?

For free virus protection use Avast. I just renewed Norton Security yesterday for all the other computer security functions (my laptop is three years old).