American Football>>Any sport in the world

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, yeah I get it you hate soccer(or football since you know...it's actually played with feet). The players fake injuries, the games are boring and yet at the same time it's the most popular sport in the world. I bet you've never watched a single game. Or if you have it was a MLS game.
Look, I'm not here to convince you soccer is the best or force you to like it. I'd be stupid if I even tried since I'm in a AMERICAN message board about AMERICAN football. Of course you're gonna say american football is the best sport ever.
It's most popular not cause it's exciting to watch but just cause it is so widespread and being an international sport brings on those mindless silly feelings of national pride. I've seen enough games to honestly tell you I've seen too many.

Reactions: DC

ChicagoGr

Liked Posts:
I'm sure there are some tall players, I was just wondering how prevalent they are. I would guess that the percentage of football players under 5'9" is around the same as the percentage of soccer players who are over 6'3" (of course, I have nothing to base that on). For every 6'5" soccer player, there's a guy like Darren Sproles (5'5") or Trindon Holliday (5'6") playing football.

I get what you're saying that the average person would have a better chance of playing soccer than football, but as far as the range of body types is concerned, I'd give the edge to football. There's everything from 5'5" 175 lbs. to 6'8" 350 lbs. You could take a teenage kid with any type of frame and find a place for him on a football team.

There are many soccer players over 6'3'' but I'm not sure about how many players under 5'9'' there are in football, so maybe you're right.

It's most popular not cause it's exciting to watch but just cause it is so widespread and being an international sport brings on those mindless silly feelings of national pride. I've seen enough games to honestly tell you I've seen too many.

You're right about the silly feelings of national pride. Belive me, I'm Greek and everytime we play Turkey, Germany, FYROM it's like we're going to war.
In general though, I think soccer appeals more to americans than football appeals to Europeans.
I don't know if it's our culture or anything but football here is the least popular sport. Honestly, nobody plays it. Even baseball is more popular.
Soccer is starting to get kinda popular there though, I think.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No, it's the same 'euro=better and awesome' smugness you display on myriad threads. You love to paint Americans as some sort of inbred mouth breathers and the on,y possible explanation for an Americsn not liking soccer is because they are ignorant or 'don't get it'. Could it ever occur to you that perhaps people HAVE experienced soccer and simply don't enjoy it? I love many things European including all manner or cars, food and half of my family. Not to mention, having worked for a British company for over 7 years, haven't travelled to various parts of Europe and enjoying many of them.

That being said, I still find soccer frightfully boring. I 'get' soccer. I just don't like soccer.

Lol you're so insecure it's hilarious.

I didn't mean you don't understand the game. You don't like it. But the fact that you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't a great game, it just means you don't like it.

Also, this European thing is some bizarre obsession of yours but neither I not any other soccer fan have mentioned anything to do with Europe. Soccer is a global game. I also said I love American football just as much, so I don't know where you're getting all this nonsense about me saying Europe is better then America. Like I said, you're just very insecure and defensive.

ChicagoGr

Liked Posts:
Oh, and guys, if you think baseball is slow and boring, try watching The Ashes(cricket).

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Lol you're so insecure it's hilarious.

I didn't mean you don't understand the game. You don't like it. But the fact that you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't a great game, it just means you don't like it.

Also, this European thing is some bizarre obsession of yours but neither I not any other soccer fan have mentioned anything to do with Europe. Soccer is a global game. I also said I love American football just as much, so I don't know where you're getting all this nonsense about me saying Europe is better then America. Like I said, you're just very insecure and defensive.

than

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Baseball>

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Baseball is greater than all the rest.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
That was lame even for you. Why are you on the rag?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
You are quite preoccupied with it, obviously.

You're in real internet take no prisoners mode tonight. Your kids would be proud.

Last edited:

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, I just started to wonder what was up your ass and then I recalled your problem that has been well documented in this forum.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Been on your mind all these months, then?

Liked Posts:
I grew up watching soccer. I can tell you most scores and events since Espana 82 to France 98 (I was in Paris for the final - a heck of an experience)
I was also a fan for many international sports you might not even know about them - like handball or volleyball.

Came to NA in 2000. Slowly stopped watching soccer over the years.

Had to like hockey (living in Montreal and all). Never could understand baseball - basketball is kinda meh.

American Football is now the top sport in my list, since watching a SB final with someone who explained me the details (hard to understand otherwise - did the same for some friends). It's the most complex and intense. Requires both extreme physical and intellectual qualities from every player and perfect coordination. Entertainment TV sport at it's best.

There are several weaknesses though that prevent American football to become more popular. Equipment costs a lot, you need a special field, its complicated. To play soccer you only need a ball (sometimes even that can be replaced). Soccer is played in every little corner of this world by millions.

Then the danger of injuries - I would not allow my son (lucky I only have girls) to play american football. Yes, I know there are injuries everywhere but still...

Third - the strenght of all NA sports is also their weakness - they are more sport shows than competition. Parity, no relegation. Players are mercenaries moving from on place to another.

An Euro soccer game, even between two cities becomes, a war. What happens on the field counts little - only victory. Nobody really cares about the entertainment level. If your team sucks - it will not get great draft picks in the name of "parity" - it gets relegated to the minor league. Then the top ones there get promoted. The owners of competing soccer clubs would never "discuss" anything with their competitors - they are at war.

TL DR - American Football is IMO the top in the Entertainment Sport Shows you have in NA. And it's the best sport to watch once you understand it. It is plagued though by being part of the show system.
However, as competition sports go, soccer offers a much wider and better experience.

Reactions: DC