Draft an RB in the 2nd Round

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Definitely can get a RB later. We need to go DEF first three rounds. I love Ha-Ha at #14 if he falls to us. Ford didn't look bad, but yeah, Bush is gone.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
If the Bears did decide to draft an RB in the 2nd round, Ka'Deem Carey would be a nice pick but I doubt he will be available. Tre Mason is another one.

Later round picks like Dri Archer, De'Anthony Thomas or Silas Redd would be good picks.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Just looking at where the value is in this draft I'd say draft a safety in the 2nd (Dion Bailey, Deone Bucannon or Calvin Pryor).

For RBs start looking in the 4th for one of the falling gems (Carlos Hyde, Tre Mason, or Andre Williams) or a big change of pace guy (Marion Grice, De'Anthony Thomas or Charles Sims).

IMO the 2nd round is way too early to go RB in today's NFL. There's a lot of value late.

I am far from an expert in the draft pool overall, but I am certain I watch more Pac-12 games than anyone on this MB, and probably more than anyone in the Bears FO. So, with that qualification, here are my observations for the guys I am familiar with: Black Mamba (DAT) is not a legit NFL RB, he projects as a Ted Ginn type specialized player. Grice was a great NCAA RB, but he will be a backup/scrub in the NFL, he lacks explosive speed/burst and while he is shifty he will get destroyed by NFL DLs and LBs. I would not take a chance on Grice before the 5th round, if at all.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
I think a speedy, stretch the field WR and a C are the only positions on offense the bears could afford to invest in this offseason. I would not take either in round 2 unless a really good prospect dropped to them. They just don't have the luxury of drafting a RB high and it doesn't make sense with a highly paid Matt Forte.

RacerX

Liked Posts:
If the Bears did decide to draft an RB in the 2nd round, Ka'Deem Carey would be a nice pick but I doubt he will be available. Tre Mason is another one.

Later round picks like Dri Archer, De'Anthony Thomas or Silas Redd would be good picks.

I think Tyler Gaffney projects better as an NFL RB than all those guys.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
It's not your fathers NFL anymore. The days of a RB controlling your offense are over. However I have no probable taking a RB in the 2nd round when you don't have other GLARING needs. The Bears are not at liberty to justify a RB in the 2nd when we just fielded the worst Bears defense in the history of the franchise!

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's not your fathers NFL anymore. The days of a RB controlling your offense are over. However I have no probable taking a RB in the 2nd round when you don't have other GLARING needs. The Bears are not at liberty to justify a RB in the 2nd when we just fielded the worst Bears defense in the history of the franchise!

look at the rbs that were taken LAST year. even the top guys, Lacy, Bell and Bernard, were in the 2nd. zac stacy was the 4th best rookie rb in the NFL, if i base it on FF stats (can't find other numbers) and he was in the 5th round. Andre Ellington was a top 30 rb and he was in the 6th.

we can wait.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
IMO you should bring in a rookie RB every season. Round 5-7 or FA. Also you draft a QB every season until you have a a young guy in development. I don't know if Matt Blanchard is still filling that role.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Imagine how trestman would utilize Thomas. Another Darren Sproles

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
IMO you should bring in a rookie RB every season. Round 5-7 or FA. Also you draft a QB every season until you have a a young guy in development. I don't know if Matt Blanchard is still filling that role.

Why in the world would you spend a draftpick on a RB every year, largely regarded as one of the most inconsequential positions in today's NFL? I don't know a single team in the NFL, even the terrible organizations, who have ever implemented that idea.

You should probably get an offensive and defensive lineman yearly, but besides that, it's who drops to you + BPA + team needs. Why would you take a RB every year lol.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Why in the world would you spend a draftpick on a RB every year, largely regarded as one of the most inconsequential positions in today's NFL? I don't know a single team in the NFL, even the terrible organizations, who have ever implemented that idea.

You should probably get an offensive and defensive lineman yearly, but besides that, it's who drops to you + BPA + team needs. Why would you take a RB every year lol.

If you don't bring in rookie RB's (I never said it had to be a draft pick) you end up signing Michael Bush, Marion Barber, or Chester Taylor. You like that approach, I hate it. Too expensive. Plus like the OP said RB's go south in one season, you don't think it's an important position until you don't have one.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I don't know about taking a RB every year but its much better to draft one versus paying for one in free agency which is the route we have taken with Matt's backup for far too long.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
i'd look for a back in the 5th round or later for sure. i love forte, and he should have at least 1 more year at a high level before the inevitable fall-off comes. but getting a back who could potentially develop into a starter in a year or two would be a wise move for the bears. i'd even be ok with a 4th round pick if the value was very good. if that guy could be a player who can do more with the limited carries then a guy like bush does in the short term, that would be even better.

2nd is to early. way to many needs on defense to justify spending a pick that has to contribute immediately. running back value in the draft is at an all time low. a lot of the guys who are predicted to go in the 2nd round will still be around in the 3rd, guys considered 3rd round picks will be there in the 4th, and so on.

RacerX

Liked Posts:
Imagine how trestman would utilize Thomas. Another Darren Sproles

Sproles is insanely strong and has a very low center of gravity. DAT can't break tackles, he is pure speed and elusiveness. Much more comparable to Ted Ginn.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you don't bring in rookie RB's (I never said it had to be a draft pick) you end up signing Michael Bush, Marion Barber, or Chester Taylor. You like that approach, I hate it. Too expensive. Plus like the OP said RB's go south in one season, you don't think it's an important position until you don't have one.

Yep. Plus having a young back to take a little of the load off forte could possibly extend his prime another year or two. If we could get another 2 or even 3 years from him like this past one it would be fantastic, but he's going to drop off in his 30s.

Snorch

Liked Posts:
No fucking running back especially in the second

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Just go back.and draft James Starks instead of Lafevour

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
I was a huge Ford fan in college and I think we should let him develop.