Draft an RB in the 2nd Round

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
First off, Matt Forte was a juggernaut this year. It was easily his best season since coming into the NFL He's such a dynamic and versatile player. I was so impressed with his ability to extend plays with second and third efforts. He was a huge part of our offensive success this year and come up huge for us time and time again.

Having said that, the lifespan of an NFL RB is short. Usually they last 5 years and fall off a cliff. There are a lot of examples of RB's who have played well beyond that (Marcus Allen, etc) but more often than not - RB's suddenly cannot do it anymore. Will that decline happen with Forte this year? Probably not. But the reality is it's unlikely that he'll match 2013's production again next year. I would not be surprised to see his decline start in the near future.

While it's clear we need to over-haul the defense and apply 75% of our resources that way - we still need to ensure our offense remains elite. With Michael Bush likely to be cut, I'd love to see us select a RB in the 2nd round. We could use FA to sign a DE and a Safety, we can re-sign Melton and Ratliff, and use our 1st, 3rd, and 4th round picks all on defense as well.

I'm concerned that Forte will not be able to replicate his production and what to plan accordingly in case he starts decline.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I wanted Lacy last year and he was there in the second :D , but I understood we needed LB help.

After 2013, I'm revisiting my opinion

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
First off, Matt Forte was a juggernaut this year. It was easily his best season since coming into the NFL He's such a dynamic and versatile player. I was so impressed with his ability to extend plays with second and third efforts. He was a huge part of our offensive success this year and come up huge for us time and time again.

Having said that, the lifespan of an NFL RB is short. Usually they last 5 years and fall off a cliff. There are a lot of examples of RB's who have played well beyond that (Marcus Allen, etc) but more often than not - RB's suddenly cannot do it anymore. Will that decline happen with Forte this year? Probably not. But the reality is it's unlikely that he'll match 2013's production again next year. I would not be surprised to see his decline start in the near future.

While it's clear we need to over-haul the defense and apply 75% of our resources that way - we still need to ensure our offense remains elite. With Michael Bush likely to be cut, I'd love to see us select a RB in the 2nd round. We could use FA to sign a DE and a Safety, we can re-sign Melton and Ratliff, and use our 1st, 3rd, and 4th round picks all on defense as well.

I'm concerned that Forte will not be able to replicate his production and what to plan accordingly in case he starts decline.

All the teams that have elite RBs like Peterson, Forte, Rice, Johnson, McCoy, etc. are all at home watching right now. RB has to be the most overrated position in the NFL. As you elude, their shelf life is very short. Forte is the kind of back that might play well for a few years after his "prime" is over due to the fact that he is not a bruising back and does a good job of avoiding lots of hits. A guy like Eddie Lacy won't last more than another 2 years most likely.

I'd rather the Bears spend the 2nd round pick on a center or guard (move Slauson to center?) if it has to be an offensive pick. If you have a good to excellent OL, 90 % of RBs capable of playing in the NFL are going to excel.

Ali-Frazier

Liked Posts:
Too many holes in other areas & you can get good value at RB later in the draft.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
History has shown that you don't need to take a RB early anymore and Matt Forte takes immense care of himself, always comes into camp, in what seems, better shape than the year before.

With that being said I agree we need to address the RB position in the near future but this is not the year to invest a 2nd round pick at RB. This seems to be a good overall draft for defense and we need that. Maybe next year take a look at a RB because next years class is absolutely loaded at the position.

Apoptosis

Liked Posts:
How about we let Ford develop. He showed some flashes during the preseason and see what he looks like after being in the program and working with Forte.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Just looking at where the value is in this draft I'd say draft a safety in the 2nd (Dion Bailey, Deone Bucannon or Calvin Pryor).

For RBs start looking in the 4th for one of the falling gems (Carlos Hyde, Tre Mason, or Andre Williams) or a big change of pace guy (Marion Grice, De'Anthony Thomas or Charles Sims).

IMO the 2nd round is way too early to go RB in today's NFL. There's a lot of value late.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Just looking at where the value is in this draft I'd say draft a safety in the 2nd (Dion Bailey, Deone Bucannon or Calvin Pryor).

For RBs start looking in the 4th for one of the falling gems (Carlos Hyde, Tre Mason, or Andre Williams) or a big change of pace guy (Marion Grice, De'Anthony Thomas or Charles Sims).

IMO the 2nd round is way too early to go RB in today's NFL. There's a lot of value late.

I said this the other day, safety in the second round, from looking at prospect ratings and mocks, and big boards, seems to be where the value will be at and there seems to be some good players at Safety that will be available in the 2nd. I have a feeling Pryor will be gone by the time we pick but I really like Bucannon, he's a big hitter with very good range and has been a turnover machine.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Need to draft Defense in 2nd RD. Earliest you worry about a RB is 5th RD

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
OP is right to be concerned about Forte going forward given his age and the wall that RBs typically hit around 30. However, his assessment on the value of spending a 2nd round pick on a backup RB regardless of more pressing defensive holes is wildly misguided.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I said this the other day, safety in the second round, from looking at prospect ratings and mocks, and big boards, seems to be where the value will be at and there seems to be some good players at Safety that will be available in the 2nd. I have a feeling Pryor will be gone by the time we pick but I really like Bucannon, he's a big hitter with very good range and has been a turnover machine.

I'd like the Eagles to grab one of those 3 safeties or potentially Haha in the first (doubt he falls that far).

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Bwahahahahah...no.

Ra's al Ghul

Stuck in the Lazarus Pit
Liked Posts:
If emery decides to draft a RB, then it should be Charles Sims aka Forte Jr.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
If emery decides to draft a RB, then it should be Charles Sims aka Forte Jr.

Ya he's going to a good player but because of his versatility will most likely lock him up in the 2nd

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Andre Williams would be a great compliment to Forte and is considered an early day 3 pick... so 4th round or 5th if he slips...

he was a heisman candidate and I believe he could be a steal in the 4th round...

I also wouldn't mind trading both of our sixth rounders in order to move into the early 5th in order to take him...

[video=youtube;Ujt1S9P2XHE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujt1S9P2XHE[/video]

Slacker

Liked Posts:
The Bears, as a vehicle, appear to have plenty of horsepower but no brakes, yet you want to spend a 2nd rounder on more horsepower?

TheDane

Liked Posts:

I agree that the position is less important now than ever. But saying that it's WAY too early taking one in the 2nd round is far-fetched, IMO. Some RB's definitely turn out to be worth a 2nd round pick. Just looking at last years draft, there were three RB's taken in the 2nd round of the draft, that had significant impacts on their respective teams (Bernard, Bell, Lacy). Two of them played a huge part of their teams reaching the playoffs, and the last (Bell) was big a part of the Steelers even contending for the playoffs late in the season. And all those three will probably be even better in years to come. Looking at the RB's drafted last april, the only one drafted later than the three I just mentioned that had the same kind of impact, was Zac Stacy. So yes, I do believe some RB's are worth taking in the first couple of rounds, but I agree with you, that the overall value of RB's is not what it have been.

In our case, I don't think it's necessary looking at RB's in rounds 1-3. Those should be dedicated to the defense, unless a huge BPA falls into our laps.

geneatals

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How about we let Ford develop. He showed some flashes during the preseason and see what he looks like after being in the program and working with Forte.

^this...hopefully he bulks a little and improves his blocking...

end thread

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldnt freak out if we took Tre Mason in the 3rd... but I have a feeling he goes in the 2nd round anyway

Ideally, need 3 defensive starters with the 1st three picks.. .then maybe go Offense at 4. All depends on FA.