Firing Mel Tucker would be bad move

marines1

Liked Posts:
The Chicago Bears' coaching staff gets back to business on Monday, with some reporting to Halas Hall and others heading to the East-West Shrine Game in St. Petersburg, Fla.

Obviously, with Jay Cutler signed to a new deal, the focus now shifts to the embattled defense and coordinator Mel Tucker, who is scheduled to be a part of the team’s contingent at the East-West Shrine Game.

Given the historic downfall of the defense, which allowed the most points (478) in franchise history as well as total yards (6,313) and rushing yards (2,583), not to mention the way the team’s season came to a disappointing end on a mental bust in the secondary, the emotional reaction might be to fire Tucker. But that would be a mistake that could potentially set back the defense even further, which is probably why the team hasn't yet made a firm decision (although the fact he'll be at the East-West Shrine Game on Monday leads me to believe he's staying).

I’ve said it before: Tucker isn’t to blame for Chicago’s demise on defense. He wasn’t the one missing tackles, busting assignments, failing to leverage blocks correctly or getting manhandled physically by opponents in 2013. Some of Tucker’s coaching colleagues on the team and around the league agree, as do many of his players.

Is the criticism of Tucker fair?

Is the criticism of Tucker fair?

"Not at all," linebacker D.J. Williams said a day after the team’s season-ending loss to the Green Bay Packers. "He didn’t really get to put out the defense on the field that he thought he was going to have. But I felt he did a great job. It’s hard to go out there and compete with teams when you don’t have your guys out there. But I think he got the guys to rally around each other and give great effort. You lose two Pro-Bowl, Hall-of-Fame guys like [cornerback Charles Tillman] and Lance [Briggs] and lost two starting D-tackles. We lost [starting nickel corner] Kelvin [Hayden]. We lost me. It’s tough."

Injuries cost the Bears a combined 55 games from key players in 2013, and that's not even taking into account the fact defensive lineman Tuck McBride suffered a ruptured Achilles or the decision made by defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis to retire on the eve of training camp.

Chicago failed to limit an opponent to fewer than 20 points all season, but last year's vaunted unit -- which was healthy for the most part -- also failed to hold opponents to fewer than 20 in seven of the last 10 games and gave up four 100-yard rushing performances.

The group in 2013 relied on significant snaps from players such as undrafted rookie David Bass, and two other rookies in Jonathan Bostic and Khaseem Greene, who spent time in the starting lineup. Chicago was also forced to lean on players such as defensive tackle Landon Cohen, who played in 13 games in 2013 with three starts, despite having played in just seven games over the previous four seasons before signing with the Bears, not to mention nickel corner Isaiah Frey, who spent all of 2012 on the practice squad.

So say what you want about what Tucker should have done. The circumstances he faced were almost insurmountable, yet Tucker still put a respectable defense on the field on a couple of rare occasions.

"He has full support of the defense, in our room, linebackers, it’s all over, man," said cornerback Tim Jennings. "We all support him. We all know what we’re capable of doing. He makes the play-call. We line up and play. I think it’s unfortunate he got the raw end of the stick with the injuries, and what he had to deal with and make work, and I think we still did a fairly good job."

Defensive end Shea McClellin, a first-round pick in 2012 who underperformed when thrust under the bright lights in 2013, even said "I don't think so," when asked whether the criticism of Tucker was fair.

"It's going to happen, that’s your guys’ job; that’s everyone’s job," McClellin said. "I don’t think it’s fair. I think he’s a great coach. I think he did an excellent job. Just a few things fell out of place. It was unfortunate. But overall, I think he’s a great coach. I learned a lot from him."

Arguments aplenty exist with regards to dismissing Tucker, but the truth is the majority, if not all of them, can be countered. For instance, there’s the argument Tucker should be teaching the Bears how to tackle and get off blocks. Yes and no. Tucker should be making sure the players’ skills in those areas remain sharp, but no team in the NFL should ever draft defensive players who can’t tackle or leverage blocks; and the Bears didn’t all of a sudden forget how to do either of those under a new defensive coordinator.

There’s the argument that not one player improved under Tucker’s watch in 2013. That's a subjective viewpoint. Corey Wootton showed tremendous improvement in 2013, and even widely-criticized players, such as McClellin, improved at least some aspect of their games. But it’s also incredibly difficult for inexperienced players thrown into the fire to improve when nearly every on-field situation is chaotic because of all the holes in the defense brought on by injuries.

There’s the argument Tucker was outcoached, or that his defense wasn’t adequately prepared most games. But the truth is all the prep time in the world will never trump horrid execution.

Tucker’s performed well at his main job, which is to put the players in the best position to succeed through schemes, motivation and making the right calls during games. That’s part of why safety Major Wright said it’s unfair to criticize Tucker.

It would be even more unfair to fire Tucker after one season in which the coach was forced to fight basically with one hand tied behind his back. Besides that, wouldn’t dismissing Tucker after one season under such circumstances diminish the attractiveness of the job to any potential replacement?

"At the end of the day, people have to do their jobs and [live] up to being the player they’re supposed to be," Wright said. "He’s going to take the majority of the criticism. But I think it’s within the defense. It’s all of us."

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago-bears/post/_/id/4689919/firing-tucker-would-be-bad-move

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
With things being this quiet, I am going to guess Tucker is back.

Just wish we had more details on the defense they will run.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Tucker was defensive coordinator in Cleveland for one season. The rest of his tenure as a DC he was in Jacksonville and learned his defense from Jack Del Rio.

Jack Del Rio ran the same defense he learned while playing in Minnesota under Tony Dungy. Tony Dungy's defense is Lovie Smith's defense, which is Mel Tucker's defense.

The only difference is the terminology, which is what Mel Tucker changed when he came to Chicago. It's the same defensive philosophy by both Lovie and Tucker, the only difference is Lovie evolved his defense from the simplistic defense it was in the beginning to what it is today.

The only way this defense changes from one year to the next year is if Tucker decides to take his own football mind his own football knowledge and attempts to get more aggressive with his rush packages and his play calling.

Lovie evolved his defense based on the personnel he had. Peppers Tim Jennings and Tillman's abilities did a lot to give Lovie the freedom to better evolve his defense.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Tucker was defensive coordinator in Cleveland for one season. The rest of his tenure as a DC he was in Jacksonville and learned his defense from Jack Del Rio.

Jack Del Rio ran the same defense he learned while playing in Minnesota under Tony Dungy. Tony Dungy's defense is Lovie Smith's defense, which is Mel Tucker's defense.

The only difference is the terminology, which is what Mel Tucker changed when he came to Chicago. It's the same defensive philosophy by both Lovie and Tucker, the only difference is Lovie evolved his defense from the simplistic defense it was in the beginning to what it is today.

The only way this defense changes from one year to the next year is if Tucker decides to take his own football mind his own football knowledge and attempts to get more aggressive with his rush packages and his play calling.

Lovie evolved his defense based on the personnel he had. Peppers Tim Jennings and Tillman's abilities did a lot to give Lovie the freedom to better evolve his defense.

you can't expect to win the kentucky derby on a donkey...

Mel Tucker did have a donkey of a defense this year... if we get him some guys though and they still suck then its on Tucker, obviously...

rudder

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tucker should be making sure the players’ skills in those areas remain sharp, but no team in the NFL should ever draft defensive players who can’t tackle or leverage blocks; and the Bears didn’t all of a sudden forget how to do either of those under a new defensive coordinator.

Um, this guy negates his own counter argument, wtf. These guys have been tackling and blocking for as long as they've played football, correct. So wtf happened this year? Of course the Bears didn't "forget" how, there is obviously a flaw in the way these guys are being coached to make them look as horrid as they did. We've looked horrid since game 1, only the turnovers were masking it somewhat.

Fuck this guy. Someone has to play devil's advocate and he stepped up. But his arguments are crap. Should've paid attention in debate class, what a clown.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Firing Tucker would be bad because I like Mel Tucker? There's no pro resume and he hardly added to it this year with a historically bad defense. Everyone appreciates loyalty, but Emery and Trestman shouldn't be falling on their sword.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

There's a reason Lovie began referring to his defense as the Bear 2. It had grown beyond the relatively simple scheme that Dungy developed and implemented. Heck, he didn't even play all that much Cover 2 by the end.

OnemanWolfpack

Liked Posts:
Damn right. Don't fire the guy. We had our injury year now injuries will never happen again. Why no other team in the NFL had any injuries on their defense. Just look at the Patriots um I mean the Chargers, I mean the Seahawks, 49ers, Broncos, and Panthers. Those guys didn't have any injuries.

Injuries are just an excuse. I don't know if it's right or wrong to fire the guy but he sure hasn't shown anything that would make you believe that he is gonna right the ship. If they keep him, I will be highly skeptical of our defenses chances to improve dramatically. Everybody learns from other coaches as they come up through the ranks. The good ones take what they learn and combine that with their own ideas to make something that is hard to play against. In addition to the shit play of the entire D, I saw no player development (Wooton sucked ass at DT btw), no innovation, and I saw the same problems over and over again. It's ok when a rookie makes a mistake once or twice but when it's a season long thing you have to question the leadership.

OnemanWolfpack

Liked Posts:
I think if Trestman was in his first year it would be a no-brainer that he would rather have Phillips, Horton, or even Schwartz leading this D. So the question is do you stay loyal or play to win. I know what I would do.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
We should fire bearsbud.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I know if I was going to write an article in support of Tucker, I'd definitely get in some quotes from McClellin and Wright.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know if I was going to write an article in support of Tucker, I'd definitely get in some quotes from McClellin and Wright.

And don't forget DJ. Did he even play this season? Jk

SlipScreen

Liked Posts:
eh im ok with giving Tucker another year let him install his defense the way he wants it and see what happens hopefully we will also get players in here that will want to play for the guy and not pout because the bears fired lovie.