Evaluations still ongoing for Tucker, Bears coaching staff

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Evaluations still ongoing for Tucker, Bears coaching staff

By Dan Wiederer, Tribune reporter

1:54 p.m. CST, January 10, 2014

It’s been nearly two weeks since the Bears’ season ended with a 33-28 home loss to the Packers. But for those seeking a definitive answer on the shape of the coaching staff for 2014, the message remains the same: stay tuned.

Head coach Marc Trestman, with feedback from the front office, is still in the process of evaluating his staff and formulating decisions for its future. And that means defensive coordinator Mel Tucker’s job status has yet to be cemented – one way or the other.

Tucker’s future was a hot topic at the end-of-the-year press conference that Trestman and General Manager Phil Emery held at Halas Hall on Jan. 2. Both Trestman and Emery have voiced their confidence in Tucker’s abilities but stopped short last week of assuring his return for 2014.

“Everything is on the table,” Trestman said. “And we’re going through a very thoughtful and methodical process here. ... We’re going to look at everything because we have an obligation to do that. And that starts with me. And what I can do to get this football team better?”

Bears assistant coaches were given the past two weeks off following the end of the season but that has not hindered the internal evaluations of the staff.

Tucker, in his first year with the Bears, presided over a defense that allowed a franchise-record 6,313 yards. The Bears finished 30th overall in yards allowed (394.6) and dead last against the run (161.4 ypg).

Injuries were a major factor in the slide with five opening day starters missing a combined 43 games due to injury. That included season-ending injuries to Pro Bowl defensive tackle Henry Melton and cornerback Charles Tillman as well as a shoulder fracture that sidelined Pro Bowl linebacker Lance Briggs for seven games.

The Bears’ season ended with consecutive losses in which Tucker’s defense was very much culpable. In a 54-11 loss at Philadelphia in Week 16, the Bears allowed 514 total yards and 289 on the ground.

“We’re going to do more to evaluate that game and why it went south,” Trestman promised last week.

In losing to Green Bay in the regular season finale, a defeat that prevented the Bears from winning the NFC North, the defense surrendered 473 yards. That included a 15-yard touchdown by Packers receiver Jarrett Boykin on a recovered fumble that he scooped and scored with only after the Bears’ defense stopped playing without a whistle, believing Aaron Rodgers’ fumble was an incomplete pass.

The defense’s final play of the season resulted in a 48-yard Rodgers to Randall Cobb touchdown pass on fourth-and-8 in the final minute, a score that occurred after safety Chris Conte never received word for the secondary to switch into man coverage with an all-out blitz called.

A full season's worth of inconsistency and struggle left the Bears seeking a more thorough evaluation of Tucker in addition to a full assessment of the defensive staff.

“The whole protocol is something that we have to be accountable for,” Trestman said. “And I have to be accountable as the head coach in why did this happen. And how if these situations do come up (do you handle them)? Because injuries in the National Football League are no excuse. Every team has gone through that and is able, at times, to overcome that. Did we do everything we could to overcome it? That starts with me and that will be part of this process.”

Members of the Bears’ coaching staff and front office will head to Mobile, Ala., the week of Jan. 18 to attend the Senior Bowl. Next week, the East-West Shrine game will be played in Florida.

It’s presumed the Bears ideally wouldn’t want to string Tucker along too far. But to this point no decisions have been made and Trestman said at his year-end presser that he didn't feel deadline pressure to finalize his decisions.

“This is a process,” Trestman said last week. “This is going to involve not just myself but all of our coaches. And it’ll be a process where we’ve left everything on the table and we’ll evaluate everything. ... Decisions will be made when we have to make them.”

dwiederer@tribune.com

Twitter @danwiederer

Copyright © 2014 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Good to hear. There's still a chance for Tucker to be martyred

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just fire the fucker now. Just like Trestman had to review film to make a determination if he kept Cutler in the game too long against Detroit. Duh. Were you even watching?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My frustration comes from Tucker not being able to stop the bleeding.

I know their were injuries.

But a good coach would have stopped the bleeding, instead his unit got worse every week.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Here's an article that's full of bull shit. Tucker has already been confirmed as one of the coaches down to Florida to evaluate players during the East West Shrine game week. The East West Shrine game is this week in Florida, practices weigh in and reporting start on Monday morning. I'm pretty sure it was on here that I read the article from Michael C. Wright:

Obviously, with Jay Cutler signed to a new deal, the focus shifts to the embattled defense and coordinator Mel Tucker, who is scheduled to be a part of the team’s contingent at the East-West Shrine Game. But that would be a mistake that could potentially set back the defense even further, which is probably why the team hasn't yet made a firm decision (although his trip to the East-West Shrine Game leads me to believe he's staying).

I'm pretty sure the Bears have evaluated plenty, it's what the pro personnel department is for.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wiederer's article is just stating the obvious; he has no new info from anyone on the bears. Which we already knew.

"the message remains the same: stay tuned." is a clever way of saying "I was unable to get a response from anyone from the Bears regarding Tucker's status, so I must assume everything that was said two weeks ago is still accurate... I should write another article about everything everyone already knows!"

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wiederer's article is just stating the obvious; he has no new info from anyone on the bears. Which we already knew.

"the message remains the same: stay tuned." is a clever way of saying "I was unable to get a response from anyone from the Bears regarding Tucker's status, so I must assume everything that was said two weeks ago is still accurate... I should write another article about everything everyone already knows!"
True...but it gives us hope...lol

rudder

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here's an article that's full of bull shit. Tucker has already been confirmed as one of the coaches down to Florida to evaluate players during the East West Shrine game week. The East West Shrine game is this week in Florida, practices weigh in and reporting start on Monday morning. I'm pretty sure it was on here that I read the article from Michael C. Wright:

I'm pretty sure the Bears have evaluated plenty, it's what the pro personnel department is for.

I don't follow college ball much and don't know the importance of these college all star games, but the senior bowl is where draft prospects are showcased...what is the significance of Tucker being sent to he shrine game? Also scouting prospects? Honestly don't know, serious question.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Did you read your own quote?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

True, but once Emery and Tresman make a decision, don't you think they will make it known?

I don't see why they would keep Tucker's status secret. I would think they would announce their intentions if nothing else than to stop the incessant questions.

So in that sense, no news is still news. Kinda.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It really doesn't sound like Tucker is going to be let go.

I don't know man. I keep going back and forth.

At first, I thought they had waited too long and it was obvious they were going to keep him. But at this point, its almost like the longer they dodge the question, the more I think they want to dump him. I guess whatever happens, imo it IS meaningful that they haven't come out and announced anything yet.

This whole thing seems bizarre. But who fuckin knows. Granted, many teams still have coaching searches going on and for fucks sake, the playoffs aren't even over. Maybe we are just being impatient tards.

EL ROCKSTEADY

CBMB Refugee
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bears have some time, but i think if the evaluation has gone this long, he is going to stay. Any list of potential replacements has to be getting smaller. One the other hand, with so many FAs including a bunch from the core which makes this defense what it is, it is the perfect time to bring in someone especially if the scheme changes

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I don't know man. I keep going back and forth.

At first, I thought they had waited too long and it was obvious they were going to keep him. But at this point, its almost like the longer they dodge the question, the more I think they want to dump him. I guess whatever happens, imo it IS meaningful that they haven't come out and announced anything yet.

This whole thing seems bizarre. But who fuckin knows. Granted, many teams still have coaching searches going on and for fucks sake, the playoffs aren't even over. Maybe we are just being impatient tards.
I think the evaluation is done. Emery and Trestman have spent 2 weeks watching the film. With no announcement at this point, I think the evaluation is now not on Tucker, but what the alternatives are. If there is a clear upgrade they will make a move, if not they will stand pat, but they clearly would make a change if it would benefit the team. It's just a matter of who is available. That plan needs to be in place before dumping Tucker.

RunRunRunPunt

Liked Posts:
Unless they are waiting for someone to be fired or released I think this guy is staying put.

Which is totally wrong and bad for the Bears

Everyone on defense has regressed.

Heck Tom thibodaeu wouldve done a better job than this guy

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
It's pathetic to me that Trestman is showing a loyalty card to a guy who, no not just a down year with the D we're dissapointed to see, but a HISTORICALLY BAD D. NO excuse. Really dissapointed in Emery/Trest with this. They are banking a lot iwth Tucker and his shitty ass D; he's never even coached a good D in his playcalling career. So stupid. They're going to start feeling the hot seat if the D is awful again next year and t he Bears miss the playoffs.